PDA

View Full Version : Newbee looking for entry-level panels, monitors, instruments, etc

goodfella40
02-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Hi there,

I am in the process of building out a budget home flight simulator. Looking for any old or unused parts you might have to help me get started. Especially radio panels, multi-panels, gauges, cool multi-monitor set-ups, etc (though i am thinking about using touch-screen monitors for instrumentation). Would eventually like to go to a fully enclosed cockpit w/ motion simulation. I am taking flight lessons in real life and looking to supplement that with the most realistic experience that I can get. Thanks so much! Andrew

Feel free to email me at goodfella40@yahoo.com.

So far I have compiled the following.

Controls
Saitek Pro Yoke
Saitek Throttles
Saitek Switch Panel
CH Pro Pedals

Monitor
52" XBR TV

Seating/Set Up
X-Pro Pedestal Rocker
Speedblack Evo control mount

PC Hardware
AMD 3.4 x4 BE
4GB 1033 DDR3 mem
GeForce 340 w/ 512 DDR3

Software
Microsoft Flight Simulator X

AK Mongo
02-14-2011, 04:06 PM
What aircraft are you basing your build on?

goodfella40
02-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Looking for a two-seat single-engine plane. I'm don't need the instrumentation and panels to reflect any one model. Functional and immersion is all that matters to me.

mrmaster
03-15-2011, 01:56 PM
for panels you maybe want tor try to produce them (almost) by yourself. Just design the panel in Photoshop with the correct size and a HIGH resolution - buy some PLexiglass cut into the desired size and then got to a copyshop and let them print it onto the plexi doesn't cost a lot!

wledzian
03-15-2011, 02:43 PM
If you're using this to enhance training, the most important bit is that you consistently treat it like training. A dual-monitor setup would be helpful for the instrument panel, but it's not really necessary as long as the instruments are reasonably legible.
For each flight, you should have a specific learning/practice objective. Just remember to plan the flight, then FLY THE PLAN. During "training" flights, don't let it become a game.

One more thing...
In the interest of protecting yourself from spambots, please remove your email from the first post. If your address is linked to your account, you'll be notified when someone sends you a PM.

goodfella40
03-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the tips. I ended up buying a 7" touchscreen monitor and am going to put the main instrument panel on that.

jskibo
03-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Wow, that's going to be hard to read!

JWS
03-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Must have more than 20/20 vision all right LOL

JWS

goodfella40
03-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Yup. 20/15 actually and am only 29 so don't need reading glasses just yet. Had my laser surgery done about a month ago and came out pretty happy with the results.