PDA

View Full Version : Pilot/CoPilot headsets

sananona
01-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Hello,
I am in the process of building a flight simulator. At this point I would like to have two sets of headsets with mics and be able to have the copilot hear the pilot speaking and vice versa.
I have a headset and mic jack on the cpu. A Y connector for the headset works for audio but not for the mic. I have been told to use the two cpu jacks for one headset and then get a second usb sound card with headphone/mic jacks built in for the other headset. Is it necessary to have two sound cards to accomplish what I want?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Ronson2k9
01-29-2011, 02:22 AM
As you didn't mention it was 'Aviation' headsets you're using I'm guessing they are computer headsets. Not that it's better but things are a bit different depending on which you are using. Let's assume for the moment that it's your average computer headset (logitech etc). The difficulty you have is that the mic requires more voltage then the ear pieces and when you connect them together one cancels out the other as the sound card you are using only has enough voltage for 1 mic. This doesn't hurt the sound card but as you have found out only one mic will work at a time.

So you have a few options.

1 - Would be to have a second sound card. Now a second card can come in the form of a USB sound card. Pretty inexpensive these days and will let you connect two mic sources into your computer. This will let you hear each other depending on the volume settings of the mic's and so on. I would suggest just for argument sake one headset have a mic mute switch on it so you can mute the co-pilots voice during ATC comms. You could also add a jack and switch so you can do that from the PIC (Pilot In Command) side of the of the cockpit. Most aviation intercoms have this feature.

2 - Take a look around for a small (micro) external mixer (karaoke). I found one on sale at 'The Source (formally Radio Shack) for $19.99 (no longer available btw - I just checked, they now have a more expensive one (http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=PA+Systems&product=3212062)). Something with 2 mic inputs and an audio out. You may need to get adapters for the mic's you're using as they are usually 1/4" phone plugs and the computer headset is 1/8" phono plugs. This will also have volume control for both mic's. This will let you mix both mic's together into one signal to your computer. You again may want to add a mic mute to the co-pilot's side by adding a switch before the mic cord enters the mixer. An aviation intercom is a just a fancy mixer anyway.

3 - Best of both worlds. If you are using FS9? You can send the ATC sounds out through a second sound card (there is a setting in FS9 to do this). This will isolate the ATC audio from your aircraft sounds. You can then pump your aircraft sounds out through your native sound card in your computer. This could be desirable if realism is important and those around you don't mind the added noise (aircraft sounds can be more then others nearby may like?). If you add in the mixer to control your voice and headphone volume you are about as real as you can get.

You'll probably find though that a second sound card is a bit cheaper then the mixer option. The mixer however will let you control the volume without having to go into your computer settings to do it which would be somewhat un-aviation like considering you're in a cockpit..

Welcome to Mycockpit and hope that helps.
Ron

Sean Nixon
01-29-2011, 05:19 AM
I'm sure Nick from Athens has his mikes working and it was real simple. Search his posts or maybe he'll chip in.

JWS
01-29-2011, 06:05 AM
3 - Best of both worlds. If you are using FS9? You can send the ATC sounds out through a second sound card (there is a setting in FS9 to do this). This will isolate the ATC audio from your aircraft sounds. You can then pump your aircraft sounds out through your native sound card in your computer. This could be desirable if realism is important and those around you don't mind the added noise (aircraft sounds can be more then others nearby may like?). If you add in the mixer to control your voice and headphone volume you are about as real as you can get.
Ron

Ron,

are you sure you mean FS9 (and not FSX)? I've never seen this feature in FS9, can you point out where I can find it?

Regards,

JWS

Ronson2k9
01-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Yep your right.. It's FSX .. sorry bout that.

my737sim
01-29-2011, 07:43 AM
On my Dell xps 730 I just used a y adapter to split both the mic and the headset. Both work fine for me. And if I want I can go i to my sound properties and turn on "what you hear". That's not what it's called but basically what goes in the mic comes out the headphones which creates an intercom feel. Works well except when either person coughs into the mic lol. There is no delay on it either. It's 4am here but when I wake up I'll create a little video showing you the sound card properties. This is a windows (vista) sound card thing and is unrelated to fsx.

Matt

Geremy Britton
01-29-2011, 09:12 AM
interesting post, i've been pondering how to solve this problem for a few weeks :)

sananona
01-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks for all the great advice!
Yes, Ron, they are Logitech headsets as they fit my budget at this point. I see Saitek has what seems to be a nice set for $80 or complete pkg (yoke, throttle quadrant, pedals and headset for $300). I'd have to warm my wife up to that first (wasn't too thrilled when I asked her if she'd like to fly to Spain (on FSX that is!...oops).
Oh well, having fun!
Both headsets also have their own volume control and mic mute on the cords. The USB sound card was around $20 so that may be the route I take. I'll look into the external mixer also though.
I live in Ancaster, only an hour away from you!

Thanks again everyone!

Nick1150
01-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Hi there :)

Here is your solution... http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php/16564-Dual-Headset?highlight=dual+headset

Please read after post number 21 ;)

Yesterday I had the luck to fly online together with Spiros (member here) in my place. We used both headsets and we could talk together and hear the ATCs during the flight... I think that this solution is better than expected.

Hope it helps

Nick