PDA

View Full Version : FXS Progressive taxi

Martin Cumming
11-14-2010, 11:06 AM
At Gatwick when I ask for a west departure (progressive taxi) I am always given 08R. For an east departure I am given 08R.

How can I force the issue so I get the progressive taxi signs to 26L?

Atomic_Sheep
12-15-2010, 05:09 AM
Unfortunately you can't ask default FSX ATC for a differnet runway to take off from. Radar Contact has this feature though.

http://www.jdtllc.com/Feature%20Chart.htm

Martin Cumming
12-15-2010, 06:11 AM
Thanks........but why does the ATC menu offer you a choice of different runways to take off from..................?

Regards

Atomic_Sheep
12-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Um, I think I might be getting confused here somewhere. From memory, large airports don't give you any options when it comes to taxiing i.e. you ask taxi clearance and you're at the whim of the computer by this stage. Then there are smaller airports which allow you to tune into local traffic and inform the local traffic which runway you are taxiing to but then you have to find your own way to the runway and can't get progressive taxi. I'm either thinking of something completely different to what you're asking or I've totally forgotten how FSX ATC works.

EDIT: I think I might have figured out what you are talking about. Have you tried changing the wind direction? Or you can d/l real world weather and hope that the wind is blowing from the direction that you want to go to. If you fly with calm weather all the time, ATC I think will always tell you to go to the airports default runway which by the sounds of it is RW08R.

Martin Cumming
12-15-2010, 08:09 AM
Wind may have something to do with it.....thanks.

jsfboat
12-25-2010, 02:26 PM
In real flying we use airport diagrams. If you can find where you are on the diagram, where you want to go, and the route that is "assigned" you can use the diagram as a chart to help you along. Yes, winds to play a part in runway usage, you want the least angle possible between the runway and wind direction. Cosign of the angle difference x the velocity will give what the crosswind component is. Sign x the angle difference will show what velocity the winds would be if they were direct headwinds, I knew learning trig would come in handy someday.
-JSFBOAT CFI/CFII/MEI

yoss
12-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Probably ,depending on winds direction Fs selects proper rwy
Like a ATC in real life, by the way