PDA

View Full Version : pmdg and lights test

BishBash
11-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Is the lights/test/brt/dim switch moddeled in pmdg,basically its on my mip,will i get
it to work with pmdg logics?

steve

Nick1150
11-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Is the lights/test/brt/dim switch moddeled in pmdg,basically its on my mip,will i get
it to work with pmdg logics?

steve

Hi Steve,

My lights test switch is fully operational but has nothing to do with FS. It's just a switch to test that all lights (sixpacks, AFDS, etc...) work. It has nothing to do with FS, or PMDG in my cockpitsonic trainer.

Hope that helps,

BishBash
11-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks Nick,
Now a simple question for you pros,
The switch has six teminals on the back,
2xtop
2xcte
2xbottom
I have yet to wire a toggle switch to my cpflight board yet:roll:
can you tell me what the terminals are and how to get this switch up
and working:oops:

steve

Sean Nixon
11-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Steve

I can chip in here if it's okay with you.

If the switch you have from Engravity is the same as the one they supplied me, then this is how to wire that up. The part number on the side of mine is R13-28E, it's essentially an ON-OFF-ON switch. It's known as a DPDT centre off switch (DPDT stands for Double Pole, Double Throw). It's like having two switches in one casing, but for the Light Test we only need to use one.

Pins 1 and 3 make up one side of the switch, pins 4 and 6 make up the other. The centre pins, un-numbered, but you could call them 2 and 5 respectively, are known as the common (2 is the common for pins 1 and 3, 5 is the common for pins 4 and 6).

From the MIP737 manual, page 9, you'll see that terminals 7, 8 and 9 are used for the lights test function. Terminal 9 is the common.

You'd connect pin 1 on your switch to terminal 8 on the MIP737 board (DIM)

You'd connect pin 2 on your switch to terminal 9 on the MIP737 board.

You'd connect pin 3 on your switch to terminal 7 on the MIP737 board (TEST)

Don't worry that this seems 'upside down', it's just the way the switch works inside.

You'll also notice the MIP737 board doesn't have a BRT terminal. This is handled by the boards logic.

Have fun, as usual, feel free to ask if stuck.

Sean

BishBash
11-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Brilliant once again Sean,

Just now wired as per above,im assuming when i hit the switch to test say all the leds that i have installed so far
will light up but no i get nothing.

thanks for your time
steve

Sean Nixon
11-03-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm unsure how it interfaces with PMDG. According to CPFlights website, features that work in PMDG are supported by the MIP737. So the question is, does the light test switch do anything in PMDG?

BishBash
11-03-2010, 03:26 PM
:) Thats brings me back to original post, I dont see a light test switch in pmdg737ng so i guess
if the pmdg doesnt have it then nor will I:(
(right back to the psu)

Regards

steve

Sean Nixon
11-03-2010, 03:37 PM
There may be a work-around to get it working without PMDG, say by altering the circuit to do the test as in real life, but I wouldn't know if that's possible or where to start. The venerable Mr. Sissons may know.

Does Prosim737 model this feature? http://marty.selfip.com/

Sean

BishBash
11-03-2010, 04:25 PM
I will await Mr sissons reply,
I notice the new NGX does have the switch,
Dont know about prosim.

steve

bagarie
11-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi Steve

The PMDG 737 dont' have the Test switch simulated. So If you want just check (and Illuminate) the annunciators on the MIP and on the Overhead, you need make a Circuit to light ip them.
How are connected your MIP's annunciators? By Cp flight MIP interface? By Opencockpit IO cards?

Let me know and we can wxplain how to.

Rehards
Arnaldo

BishBash
11-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Hi Steve

The PMDG 737 dont' have the Test switch simulated. So If you want just check (and Illuminate) the annunciators on the MIP and on the Overhead, you need make a Circuit to light ip them.
How are connected your MIP's annunciators? By Cp flight MIP interface? By Opencockpit IO cards?

Let me know and we can wxplain how to.

Rehards
Arnaldo

By the cpflight interface board.

Steve

BishBash
11-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Hi Arnaldo,

If you believe this can be done please post here with an explanation on how,

I look forward to another challenge of getting my annunciators illuminated with your help.

Kind Regards

Steve

bagarie
11-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi steve

If you have a Cpflight MIP interface there isn't way to light up and test all annunciators on the MIP directly with the PMDG. You need to make a parallel circuit to illuminate all the leds by the switch but not connected to the MIP interface.
You can check on the Mister Ian website, a circuit called "How to illuminate Led from different sources" or something like that.

I have a question for you: do you use PMDG for your cockpit? All the MIP lights working with the MIP interface?

I hope this can help you

Regards
Arnaldo

BishBash
11-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Hi steve

If you have a Cpflight MIP interface there isn't way to light up and test all annunciators on the MIP directly with the PMDG. You need to make a parallel circuit to illuminate all the leds by the switch but not connected to the MIP interface.
You can check on the Mister Ian website, a circuit called "How to illuminate Led from different sources" or something like that.

I have a question for you: do you use PMDG for your cockpit? All the MIP lights working with the MIP interface?

I hope this can help you

Regards
Arnaldo

Ok i will check ians site,thanks.
Yes i use pmdg with my cockpit and yes all the lights work with
cpflight interface board.
regards
steve

kiek
11-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Hi Guys,

Just a tip:
Another way to do a lights test is to implement it with software...
You only need one hardware switch. That switch is monitored by your Cockpit Software (FSBUS, Opencockpits, what have you) and if it is switched ON your cockpit software lights all leds, displays, ... and so on. If it is OFF your cockpit software drives the leds, displays corresponding with the states in your aircraft.

The advantage of this approach is that you do not need extra hardware and wiring.

See for instance this picture of a (software driven)lights test of my Pedestal:
http://www.lekseecon.nl/pedestal.html#PedestalLightsTest

kind regards,
Nico