PDA

View Full Version : Best GA Visuals

No Longer Active
10-20-2010, 11:35 AM
What's the most effective visual for a GA pit?

A dualhead2go with 2 monitors means that the bezels blocks out the runway centre line (unless you fly in/out slightly from the left or right). But this is a cheaper alternative because the units are cheaper and you only need to buy 2 monitors (chances are you already have one; just buy a matching monitor).....

A triplehead2go appears very expensive when you add up the cost of the unit itself plus 3 identical monitors. But does 3 monitors represent left view, middle view or right view? I'm thinking that it doesn't, it just spreads the forward view, you would have to network a left view to a seperate pc.

Or a projector.....

A projector is good because it can project a wide area of forward visual, but you need low light, and lots of room for front and back projecting, if space is an issue then this is a no no.

I'm just thinking what's best for my sim as it is space restricted..

Alex

AK Mongo
10-20-2010, 01:29 PM
One question I have not seen answered anywhere, is what effect DH2go and TH2go have on framrates. Anyone have any experience with this? Especially interested in the effect on mid-range machines.

A fourth option may be 1 BIG (40"+ lcd 1080p tv) This coupled with headtracking might make a good solution.

Scratch
02-17-2011, 09:07 AM
well i am going the projector option with track IR i have modifield the Virtual cockpit bitmaps will post some screens as soon as i ghet there

greetz Danny Aka Scratch

flyinjake
02-17-2011, 09:57 AM
One question I have not seen answered anywhere, is what effect DH2go and TH2go have on framrates. Anyone have any experience with this? Especially interested in the effect on mid-range machines.

A fourth option may be 1 BIG (40"+ lcd 1080p tv) This coupled with headtracking might make a good solution.

My experience with the TH2GO is that it does impact FPS. Especially closer to the ground when there is more detail. I have a nice overclocked Quad core computer and it was noticeable hit. The hit was so much that I eventually removed it from my computer.

Recently my Dad started using it with less than desirable results. He backed off from three screens to two but then he ends up with the bezels being right in the middle of the screen. Cockpit is split and when viewing the outside the aircraft is cut in half between the two mointors. He also likes the idea but does not like the hit in performance. I am like him where I want the details raised up ( not at max though)

I liked the idea of the multiple monitors and there are things one can do to help the situation with FPS. Turn down the details, use standard aspect monitors, ( standard in itself does not help but the reduction in pixels does) and configuration tweaks for FSX....and so on.

Meanwhile I fly with one monitor and TrackIR.

wledzian
02-17-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't have a huge amount of experience with TH2Go (yet), but my understanding is that it in itself doesn't add any overhead. What it does do is allow you to push the visuals to many more pixels. Most modern video cards can handle TH2Go resolutions without so much as a hiccup; The slowdown comes not so much from the extra pixels as from the extra geometry shown in the wider window.

Try turning down the geometry by lowering the autogen and mesh density. If your framerate comes back up, then the issue is with the extra load on the CPU side.
If that doesn't do it alone, try turning down the texture resolution. If that helps, then you may have a bottleneck when sending the textures to the card.
If you've already turned everything down to minimums, ensured that antialiasing and filtering are off, zoomed in, and you're still getting poor framerates, you can probably conclude that your card is having troubles with the pixel count and it's time to uprgade the card.