PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on the Goflight RP-48

AK Mongo
10-01-2010, 08:30 PM
I recently acquired a Go Flight RP 48 4 Rotary Encoder/8 push button module on Ebay for an incredible price. Thought I would share some observations on it. I have found that it is incredibly hard to find discussion about Goflight products online, except the standard "Works Great/Looks Terrible" argument.

Without getting into a full on review I wanted to share some observations for those of you who may be considering, and foster discussion about how I could use mine better.

Function:
The unit has 4 rotaries and 8 pushbuttons. Each pushbutton has an LED indicator that shows its' on-off status.

The rotaries feel hefty and well built. There are a large number of possible combinations of commands that you can assign to them, which is easily done through the GFconfig program that is downloadable from www.goflight-inc.com.
One thought is that they don't seem to accelerate like the rotaries on other gf products. It takes many turns for example to change the ADF card a full 360 degrees. Perhaps this is easy to fix somehow, but should one have to hunt to find out how? I have tried searching their tech support forums, but frankly there is much more information available here than at their site.

The push buttons feel like they can take some abuse, and worked as expected. One of the great moments I have experienced so far is how well the buttons are configurable as an audio panel.

The finish on the unit is exactly the same as the other units in the series. It certainly does not give any wow factor, and will not please those looking for a very "authentic" aircraft look. I have also not found anywhere on their site to download the "mag labels" for the unit. These are labels that can be printed onto magnetic sheet, and that will fit into the label spaces on the faceplate as placards.

The function however could not be more simple or intuitive. I am glad to have added it, although I wish that there was better online support available. In all fairness, I have not made an extensive search outside their site for corrections to the rotary issue, nor have I tried to contact their customer service line to ask for help.

Does the Mycockpit community have anything to add? Has anyone else with this unit found an easy way to change the rotary responses?

autocadplease
10-02-2010, 01:54 AM
I have had a unit for years - no problems whatsoever.
I did find that in FSUIPC, when the rotary is turned quickly in each direction it comes up as separate "button". You could change that assignment to increase/decrease the value by 10 (or whatever). Then when you turn the rotary quickly the value will change quicker.
I find FSUIPC better than using the GF config software.

AK Mongo
10-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the FSUIPC tip. I have not tried to do anything with my GF units through there, but will look into it.

Reid

No Longer Active
10-03-2010, 08:51 AM
I am thinking of buying the RP48 but it would need to be second hand from UK as import and customs adds a big chunk of duty to the final price from USA.

I have rotaries in my MIP connected my BU0836 card but it is not that effective when it comes to the HDG Bug assignment. So looking for the RP48 to do that very job!

I find that the VOR works well with the BU0836 just not the HDG Bug, I hope that the RP48 does this well!

Alex

davek
10-03-2010, 07:57 PM
I have one of these units and have created a new face plate using the CNC so that it looks the same as the other panels in the pit. This way you can use the same colours as the pit, label the various encoders/buttons and back light them.

AK Mongo
10-04-2010, 02:14 AM
You CNC guys know how to hurt us mere mortals! I would love to see a picture of it though!

davek
10-04-2010, 03:39 AM
I have only cut out the panel and painted it so far... had a bit of a slack off with the building due to problems with a company building my computer. Anyway getting the mojo back and will start getting into it again.
I will post a photo once I have done the text.
Mind you I am like the Anti-Westozy when i comes to cncing so dont expect too much... lol