PDA

View Full Version : Choices: Saitek radio panel or GoFlight Radio Panel...

Tim Abbott
09-05-2010, 12:06 PM
I can't decide which one to get, price doesn't matter at this point. I have the GF-toggle and the muliti-function panel that I built my own panel to hold, (plywood, grey spray paint and few screws).

I can easily extend the panel upwards to hold the GF radio panel, or I can mount the Saitek panel on top of my throttle quadrant as I have the TQ hanging on the underside of the desk with the Saitek switch panel below that.

Any thoughts would be great!

Tim

jskibo
09-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Depends on what your goal is.....

Generic cockpit? I guess I would choose GoFlight.

Something more realistic, I would pass on both and look at OpenCockpits or CPFlight gear

AK Mongo
09-05-2010, 09:28 PM
I battled with the same question, and settled on goflight. While they don't look like the real thing, they function beautifully. I could never lay my hands on a saitek unit, and I am very "feel" oriented. I also had a saitek x52 joystick that was no end of configuration headaches. Past experience definitely pushed me towards gf.

No Longer Active
09-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Saitek are good for function, but very large, very wide and very 'plastic'.

GoFlight are nice units, look nothing like radios (well they try to)....BUT....they are pretty much a sim industry standard that are built very well, excellent functionality, a little smaller and easy to use!

Carry on with the GoFlight gear I say!

Alex@MC

jsfboat
09-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Would it be possible to make your own panel but use the electronics from the GF radio? I would like to do this and swap out their face plate with a 747 radio panel? Might take some moving the components around and such, but I think it could work.

Nick1150
09-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Would it be possible to make your own panel but use the electronics from the GF radio? I would like to do this and swap out their face plate with a 747 radio panel? Might take some moving the components around and such, but I think it could work.
There are many options, if you decide to do it your self.... see opencockpits and similar suppliers too ;)

AK Mongo
09-08-2010, 01:43 AM
There are many options, if you decide to do it your self.... see opencockpits and similar suppliers too ;)

Tricky to do. Their units are basically a single pcb with a faceplate. Probably could be done but I would not try. If you are looking for 737 radios there are better choices out there I think. Opencockpits has a nice one if I remember correctly.