PDA

View Full Version : Opencockpits USBLCD Card Displays

Boeing 747 Flyer
08-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I am posting hre in regards to compatibility of certain dot-matrix displays with the O/C Card.

There are many diferent types, but I have narrowed it down to this one:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=36389&OrderCode=N30AZ

On that page linked above, there are a few different types of display. The one I want is the £22.99 one, order code N30AZ.

It is HD44780 Standard, just as the Opencockpits manual suggests. However, I see little mention of the 40pin connector or cable that is require to plug-in to the USBLCD Card.

Can anyone plase tell me if this display is compatible, and, if yes, what cables/plugs/connectors I will need to purchase?

iwik
08-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi Jack,
If its compatible ie HD44780(it says it is) then you should be able to use it. The 40 pin connector is just a collection of all the signals required to drive the Display.if
you d/l the manual for USBLCD and look at their pinout for the 40 pin connector you will find corresponding pins with signal names listed on the above module. A bit of soldering is required. Parts required are a plug to mate with O/C card a some wire.
Hope this helps.
Les

Boeing 747 Flyer
08-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Hi Les,

I have one of these plugs and wires pre-made to hand.

What on the display do I need to solder to? Are there legs on the LCD?

iwik
08-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Jack,
If you look at the datasheet there are pads to solder to. Just make sure you dont short adjacent pads together. Pretty easy if you are ok at soldering.
To be correct you mentioned it was a Dot Matrix display. The modules are different. The module you are interested in is a wee pcb which has the LCD module fitted and its connections to the outside world are little pads for u to solder your wires to.
Les

Boeing 747 Flyer
08-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Hi Les,

In that case, will it stil lwork? The OC Manual specifically reccommends dot-matrix, no mention of pcb fittings.

One comforting thing is though, that both Opencockpits and Maplin manuls both have exact 14 pins arranged in the exact same order on a table.

Is it okay if I solder to the LCD Display, connect this to an IDC style connector, then swap the wires to match USBLCD Card, then connect up?

iwik
08-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Jack,
Dont know which manual your looking at but my one shows and states LCD. What model/Kit are you buying. If you goto O/C shop and tell me
what their catalogue number is i might be able to clarify things alittle.
Les

Boeing 747 Flyer
08-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Hi Les,

it isn't actually in the USBLCD Card manual, but on the product description. It says:

"Controls up to 4 dot-matrix type HD44780 Standard"

iwik
08-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Hi jack,
descriptions can be misleading, wont go into it but your Module is really referenced as a LCD module. Simply put Dot Matrix displays can be something
different. If you get that Manual i described it should set you up perfectly ,see how they have done it.
Les
P.S Looks like my edit didnt work. Manual i ref is O/C Installation manual from the shop and under Assebled LCD card.

Boeing 747 Flyer
08-22-2010, 03:51 AM
Okay thanks very much Les, I will go and order the Display.

Boeing 747 Flyer
08-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Hi Les,

The LCD Display arrived today and it is beautiful. It has Pins 1-14, with 15-16 for LED Backlighting.

Question - In the OC Manual we can see pins 1-14 being used normally. Pins 15-16 are conencted to the Pot, however not all terminals on the pot are being used. Is this because Opencockpits are using the Pot outputs to "simulate" a current. IE: Only using the 5V and GND Pins of the Potentiometer connections to allow a current to pass through the LED?

iwik
08-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Jack,
The pot is just a convenient way of varying the current thru the backlight to adjust brightness. It has a built in resistor and was designed to run off 5v.
if you want a better way of adjusting the brightness then i suggest you build Mikes PWM LED dimmer he featured on this site, gives better control of this brightness.
Les
P.S You are using the wiper(usually the center but check) and one other terminal as a variable resistor between the cathode and ground of the
LED.

Boeing 747 Flyer
09-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Hi Les... Another question.

The manual for my LCD Display says infact that Pin 15 is 5V, not 16, and vice-versa for GND. Does this mean I'll have to swap the wiring round for the OC manual? A test with a multimeter also confirms that pins 15 & 16 are the inverse of what the OC Manual says.

Jack:)

iwik
09-02-2010, 04:57 AM
Jack,
You can configure your module either way, just look at the datasheet. You will have to look at which way its configured, then its a simple as
changing your wiring to suit.
Les

doramide7
09-30-2010, 11:41 PM
In that case, will it stil lwork? The OC Manual specifically reccommends dot-matrix, no mention of pcb fittings.

One comforting thing is though, that both Opencockpits and Maplin manuls both have exact 14 pins arranged in the exact same order on a table.

Is it okay if I solder to the LCD Display, connect this to an IDC style connector, then swap the wires to match USBLCD Card, then connect up?

iwik
10-01-2010, 02:51 AM
Hi,
Opencockpits docs does have some errors, probably due to traslation(they specify a Dot Matrix display but they mean LCD). When it comes to their LCD card you only have to make sure that the connections on the LCD module connect to the same on the O/C module. How you do this depends on how the connections are terminated on your lcd module. Some have pads to which you have to solder wires, others have IDC connectors.
Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if i help any further.
Les