PDA

View Full Version : Unable to get pmsounds to work with custom offsets

tolip2
07-31-2010, 04:55 AM
Hello!
I'm having a problem with pmsounds. It works for the standard gpws callouts etc and I've even added some custom sounds like when the speedbrakes are deployed ("spdbrk,0bd4,4,16384,cyc") which also works.

What I'm trying now however is to play sounds for some non-standard offsets that I've added via fsconv (for Level-d 767 FSX). For example, at offset 8ba3 is the APU starter knob. The position of the knob sets offset 8ba3 to 0, 1 or 2.
I know that this part works because I've written a small program that polls this offset and I can see that this offset holds the correct value according to the knob's position.

I'm however not able to get pmsounds to work. I'm simply trying to get it to play a sound when this knob is turned or set to a specific position (just as an example). The offset value is 1 byte so I've tried things like "testfile,8ba3,1,1,on" and many other variants. Still, no sound is ever played. Changing to a standard offset (like the speedbrakes) makes it work, but I can't seem to get it to work with any custom fsconv offset alhough I know it's there and holds the right values.
Any ideas?

skyline223
11-01-2010, 10:47 AM
I do not know if this is the problem in your case, but I found that when I would edit the pmsounds cfg file it would almost immediately overwrite itself with the default cfg right after i saved it, and as result no changes would take effect.

So, the solution to the problem was to go to the file settings (after i had made the desired changes to the cfg) and set the file to "read only." This prevents pmsounds from overwriting it like it often tends to. pmsounds does not like this very much and will give an occasional error message but it works for me.

Once again, this may or may not be the solution to your problem but this is just something i have found.