PDA

View Full Version : Made my first cuts with my CNC

fsaviator
07-29-2010, 01:32 AM
Today was a great day!!!! After months of fiddling around and not having time to mess with it, I was able to finally dedicate some time and actually set up and calibrate my Fireball V90.

I then proceeded to make my first real CNC cuts in 12.7mm MDF. Just two test shapes, but nevertheless, fairly successful.

I made up a rectangular 6mm pocket and a 12.7mm circular profile in VCarve. They came out pretty much perfect. The profile didn't make it all the way through but I attribute that to using millimeters instead of inches (1/2 inch MDF), and my start point was just barely off of the surface. I need to mess with the VCarve start point settings.

The good news is that I can continue on my MIP v2 this weekend as I can now CNC the MCP and EFIS cutouts. I can then take some pictures and post results as I've been stalled out for a couple weeks (work and other things).

Look out Gwyn and Wendy!!!!:lol: Here I come.

Wendy
07-29-2010, 01:58 AM
Congratulations. Nice to hear that you succeeded with your first cuts.

Look forward to see some pictures.

Regards, Wendy

Westozy
08-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Congrats on your launch mate, you have just scored a brand new hobby and you will love it! I'm just about to start some 3D carving with Vectric Cut3D using the sample files, I hope to report some learnings soon...

Cheers Gwyn

fsaviator
08-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks Wendy and Gwyn. I haven't done anything complicated to speak of, but I'm learning. Spent the weekend making a lot of sawdust.

My V90 still has some issues binding every now and then, but only screwed one cut up. I need to sort that out.

Here's some pics. As I said nothing complicated... but I was able to get cut a full size MIP backing panel, even on this little V90:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj267/wsoeldner/B737NG-SIM/06c868ce.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj267/wsoeldner/B737NG-SIM/35d1e5e6.jpg

As you see, the cut I messed up on when the machined bound up is just above the CAPT side DU cutout.

I also cut out the MCP and EFIS slots. My MCP is the old CPFlight RS232 one, which is smaller than the real one. The cut out is full size though as I plan to eventually make full-size MCP and EFIS'. In the meantime, I'll mount the current MCP in panel that covers the whole.

Thanks again.

Westozy
08-02-2010, 03:49 AM
I have done all the VCarvePro files for the B737NG MIP sub panels, happy to share if you want them! I'll try to get them into the downloads area later on..

Cheers, Gwyn

Nick1150
08-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Hi Warren,

Nice to see you start building again my friend :D

It looks perfect, keep up the good work and post as many pictures as possible.

Nick

fsaviator
08-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Hi Warren,

Nice to see you start building again my friend :D

It looks perfect, keep up the good work and post as many pictures as possible.

Nick

Nick, I have you to thank, my friend. Flying your setup got me energized, re-focused me, and gave me the needed info to solve the issues I was having.

I'm hoping to have the MIP painted and installed this weekend (No electronics... just the monitors for now). Necessarily, I will have to install the frame to support the overhead first, as once the MIP goes in, I won't be getting behind it.

Warren

fsaviator
08-02-2010, 09:29 PM
I have done all the VCarvePro files for the B737NG MIP sub panels, happy to share if you want them! I'll try to get them into the downloads area later on..

Cheers, Gwyn

Gwyn, I would really appreciate access to your vcarve files... I'm still learning the software, and if anything, it will give me some squared away FS Panel oriented examples to learn from. My ultimate goal is to be able to make whatever panels I want.

Cheers,

Warren

Nick1150
08-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Nick, I have you to thank, my friend. Flying your setup got me energized, re-focused me, and gave me the needed info to solve the issues I was having.

I'm hoping to have the MIP painted and installed this weekend (No electronics... just the monitors for now). Necessarily, I will have to install the frame to support the overhead first, as once the MIP goes in, I won't be getting behind it.

Warren
It was my pleasure Warren :D Keep up posting pics Warren and hopefully soon we will fly online together !!!

twisted8
08-03-2010, 08:15 AM
looking very good! did you cut multiple pieces and the bound them together? or did you cut a section and then moved the whole MIP over and cut another section?

fsaviator
08-03-2010, 09:22 AM
I cut a section then shifted it over. A very time consuming process as you have to ensure that the MDF is straight each time. My orginal test cut had the rear pocekted out for the monitors... I haven't decided if I'm going to go that route yet. It's a lot of sawdust and mess to do away with a few millimeters of standoff on the monitors.

Westozy
08-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Gwyn, I would really appreciate access to your vcarve files... I'm still learning the software, and if anything, it will give me some squared away FS Panel oriented examples to learn from. My ultimate goal is to be able to make whatever panels I want.

Cheers,

Warren

Send an email to me Warren!

Cheers Gwyn