PDA

View Full Version : FS9 zoom factor influence on weather effects

Roland
07-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Hi guys,

Apologies if this question has been answered in earlier posts, I searched but did not find this topic:

I'm tweaking my triple scenery display setup: When using a smaller zoom factor (i.e. 0.4) via view options menu, it seems that the pilot is looking at all weather effects from within a transparent sphere: The smaller the zoom factor, the larger the sphere. Weather effects like rain, snow, clouds get affected by this, and loose a lot of realism.
See below screenshot

Does anyone know a fix to this effect? (i.e. zoom out without the weather zooming out as well)

My scenery visuals are 3x17" LCD 3840x1024 through TH2GO with 3x F550 fresnel lenses, which gives a nice wide view with some depth, while keeping everything light and compact. (needs to move with the 3DoF platform)

Shawn
07-25-2010, 04:28 PM
If I remember correctly it's a DX10 issue, are you using FSX in DX10 preview mode? There is a tweak/fix for this I believe, I just don't remember where I saw it.

Roland
07-25-2010, 04:41 PM
If I remember correctly it's a DX10 issue, are you using FSX in DX10 preview mode? There is a tweak/fix for this I believe, I just don't remember where I saw it.

Note I'm referring to FS9, not FSX. After running DXdiag it says I'm running directX 9.0c

Shawn
07-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Sorry Roland, I should have read your post more carefully. I've searched the internet looking for anyone with a similiar problem and can't seem to find any? There are a number of people having this issue in FSX but not Fs9? Hope you find the solution.

Roland
07-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Thanks Shawn,

Surprised that not many people have similar problem. I had exactly this same issue on two completely different systems, one old P4 with matrox Parhelia, and one newer AMD system with Nvidea GX7800 and TH2GO, both running FS9.

It's OK when flying in clear weather, but as soon as some rain or snow comes into view, it looks as if you are standing under a big umbrella.

I'll keep digging.

ddimm
11-26-2010, 01:01 PM
I run FS9 with the TH2GO and have the same umbrella issue when I zoom out. I hope u find a solution.

Jan Pemöller
11-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Maybe the solution is to have three views, instead of having one view with this great zoom factor?

ddimm
11-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Maybe the solution is to have three views, instead of having one view with this great zoom factor?

I played around with this last evening and it may work but "stitching" the three windows and getting the zoom factor correct is a challenge. Does anyone have a .FLT file for FS9 as a starting point for 3 views on 3 1024x768 projectors?
Thanks in advance.
Daniel