PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with triple plasmas ??

Nick1150
06-28-2010, 08:00 AM
I was wondering if anyone is using 3 plasma insted of projectors for external visualization. We all know that with the price drops in TV prices, one can find great burgains in 50+ inches TVs.

Anyone ?

Thanks

Nick

:D

Nick1150
07-04-2010, 12:57 PM

none ehh !!!! :p

I should go for projectors then :mrgreen:

Boeing 747 Flyer
07-04-2010, 01:52 PM

none ehh !!!! :p

I should go for projectors then :mrgreen:
Probably a better idea, 3 plasmas would surely be more power hungry the only advantage being higher-resolution.

Barrykensett
07-05-2010, 04:01 AM
I have been thinking along the same lines and have posted the question on forums before but without much feedback. I use one projector and I would struggle to have the room for three (long thin room). I have watched the prices of TV screens coming down and I think it could be a better solution - there are however one or two "problems". I first thought in terms of two screens, one for each window but the straight ahead position is blanked by the screen join. Three screens gets over this and gives more peripheral capability. I have stood close to screens in the local shops and realised that HD is essential, large screens normally are viewed from some distance away. I do not think that Triple Head to Go will drive three 1080p HD screens but perhaps that will change. It will drive two at the moment. I don't think that three plasmas will take more power than three projectors?
I dream of the sharpness that plasma screens will deliver relative to the projectors. I would like to hear from someone who has done it before I shell out £1400 (could try it wilth one first I suppose and if I don't like it then give it to the wife for the lounge!)
Barry
www.a320sim.com

Nick1150
07-05-2010, 04:30 AM
....... I do not think that Triple Head to Go will drive three 1080p HD screens but perhaps that will change. It will drive two at the moment.........

Hi Barry, thanks for your answer :cool:

Why do you say that one TH2GO cannot drive 3 for example 50" plasmas ?

I am just asking... I do not the answer :D and as you say if TH2GO drives 3 projectors, what is the difference with 3 plasmas ?

Barrykensett
07-05-2010, 05:40 AM
I get that from looking at the specs on http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/?productTabs=1
Barry
www.a320sim.com

Nick1150
07-05-2010, 05:53 AM
I get that from looking at the specs on http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/?productTabs=1
Barry
www.a320sim.com

ok so if I get it right, to connect 3 TVs, each one must have max 1280 x 1024 resolution... ;)

Barrykensett
07-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Yes but from looking at the TV's in the shop we need 1080p (HD) which I think is 1080 x 1920 to get good enough sharpness. The TH2G will only drive two at that resolution if I am understanding it right.
Barry
www.a320sim.com

Nick1150
07-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Why it should be HD ?

For image quality reasons you mean ?

I suppose three plasmas with 1280 x 1024 each are the maximum resolution a triple projector setup can have. I think 1280x1024 is ok. Of course the enemy of better is the best, so you can always find a better solution, unless you settle with one.

On the other hand I am not an expert in this, so I am waiting for the more experience simmers to give their thoughts :D

Barrykensett
07-05-2010, 02:56 PM
I suggest you look closely at the TV's, they are not like PC Monitors of the same resolution, the reason for us considering them is that they are very much cheaper than monitors of equivalent size. I think you will see that HD TV is required to eliminate the ghosting round the image which is not a problem looking across a big room but the sharpness is not good enough for us in my opinion when our noses are so close.
I am sure that 1280 x 1024 PC monitors will be good and sharp but I think you would end up with smaller screens.
As I say again look at the TV's in the shop and you will probably see what I mean.
I would be surpised if the TH2G did not move to higher resolutions before long.
Barry

pdpo
07-06-2010, 03:35 AM
Hi there,

as I understood tripple TH2G the maximum it currently can do is 3x 1680x1050. But this resolution limits to LCD screens I guess.
I have seen last year I think a setup with three LCD TVs (big ones) in Lelystad and those were connected to the TH2G with HDMI if i am not mistaken.
But there were some issues...dont remember if these were overcome

Greetz Peter

Nick1150
07-06-2010, 04:16 AM
Thanks Peter,

So I guest TH2GO and large TVs are not the way to go yet...

BishBash
07-06-2010, 04:24 AM
Thanks Peter,

So I guest TH2GO and large TVs are not the way to go yet...

I got TH2GO yesterday and am running x3 screens at 1920x1080 so overall 5040x1080,

I almost went the same route here but with lcd tvs, but went with 22in monitors in the end.

regards

steve

Barrykensett
07-06-2010, 05:18 AM
That's interesting, the TH2G specs go to 5040 x 1050 with reduced refresh rate, identified under "new" at the bottom of the sheet.(http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/resolution/digital/resolutions.html ) so iit is possible after all. Why did you go for the monitors rather than the TV's noting that your screen size from 22" monitors is smaller and TV's would be cheaper I think?
Barry
www.a320sim.com

BishBash
07-06-2010, 06:23 AM
That's interesting, the TH2G specs go to 5040 x 1050 with reduced refresh rate, identified under "new" at the bottom of the sheet.(http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/resolution/digital/resolutions.html ) so iit is possible after all. Why did you go for the monitors rather than the TV's noting that your screen size from 22" monitors is smaller and TV's would be cheaper I think?
Barry
www.a320sim.com

Hi Barry'
Yes sorry x3 1680x1050 = 5040x1050:roll:
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/gxm/windows/th2go/digital/howto2/

My reasoning behind choosing monitors as to what i comparing to x2 32" full hd lcd tvs was a bit motivated by
cost of decent full hd tvs, the three monitors give me a wider resolution than the two lcds would have i think, brackets and weight for hanging large tvs may have been an issue on a stud wall and cost of them, room size ie i felt that i would have to move my sim back at least a metre from the tvs which would leave me sitting on my bed lol and with monitors i can sit closer, all in all i have seen various set ups with monitors but not that many with tvs so we now it works well
with monitors. Maybe i have made the right decesion or maybe not but all i can say is i am very pleased with the results.
Heres mine:Dhttp://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php/19130-A-Simple-Enhancement-to-my-cockpit-with-PMDG-and-a-737ng-poster

I am certainly no expert in this field, best of luck on your choice.

Regards

Steve

Nick1150
09-06-2010, 02:22 AM
Anyone tried this yet ?

Nick1150
10-21-2010, 09:12 AM
This month Media Markt in Athens has on offer LG 42PJ550 for 399 euro in 12 monthly payments of 33.25 euro per moth (http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-plasma-tv-42PJ550.jsp) if bought with a credit card. So 3 of them would makes 100 euro per month.

To be honest it is in my mind during the last days... :p

Resolution is 1024 x 768, so according to Matrox resolution table (http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/resolution/resolutions.html) there is no problem for TH2GO to handle all three of them.

What is your opininon ?

Would TH2GO handle these ?

What would you say about the quality factor ?

As a final note, my aim is to keep my sim simple, which means no projectors, no shell, no sidewalls, no tillers, etc.... just the basics packed on my cockpit base, which is on wheels. With that in mind TVs is the best, and most affortable I can get for my sim. Of course on the other hand, with you guys, and your excelent projects shown here, I cannot guarantee I will stick on the above target 100% :evil:

Barrykensett
10-21-2010, 11:47 AM
That's interesting, I presume from the Part Number that it is a 42" monitor, if they are coming down to that sort of price perhaps we can forget TV's.
Resoultion not up to 1080p of course but may be good enough as it's a monitor.
I think we are all waiting for someone else to try this first!!
Barry

Nick1150
10-21-2010, 01:11 PM
That's interesting, I presume from the Part Number that it is a 42" monitor, if they are coming down to that sort of price perhaps we can forget TV's.
Resoultion not up to 1080p of course but may be good enough as it's a monitor.
I think we are all waiting for someone else to try this first!!
Barry Hi,

No it is actualy a TV...

42" HD Ready Plasma TV with 600Hz technology, 2 x HDMI and USB connectivityThe LG PJ550 Plasma TV series provides superb picture quality with a stunning razor frame design. Convert your living room to a sports stadium or cinema with this large experience perfect for watching sport and movies in crystal clear picture quality. The PK5 series is HD Ready 720p with LG 600Hz technology and gives you access to watch your downloaded High Definition films, pictures and music via the USB connectivity.

Barrykensett
10-21-2010, 07:04 PM
I looked at a number of TV's in showrooms and standing at the distance that the screen would be from the face I concluded that 1080p HD would be required for adequate sharpness.

Nick1150
10-22-2010, 02:16 AM
You are absolutely right Barry,

Of course one has to make sacrifices quality and cost wise…

I have not decided yet…. We’ll see