PDA

View Full Version : Run FS9 sound separate

props
04-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Hello all, my question for the day is. how do i remove the sound from my fs9 server and run it on one of

my clients,im running fswide for my network of 5

thank you props

Ronson2k9
05-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Well FSWide uses slew mode to translate the aircraft position so sound is not being transfered from machine to machine. If I may ask why do you want to move your sound off of the main FS9 server?

If for instance you want to have 2 outputs 1 for cockpit/engine sounds and 1 for ATC then you can add a USB External Sound Card (http://tomcom.ca/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_3_59_60&products_id=456) to your FS9 Server and pump your com (radio) sounds out of it. So you effectively have 2 sound sources 1 for your cockpit sounds and one for your ATC. If that is what you're trying to do? There is a setting in FS9 when you have 2 possible outputs for sound to do this.

388TH_A
05-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Another idea is take the speaker outputs and put them into the line in of the 2nd PC

Trevor

props
05-01-2010, 09:25 AM
the reason for separate sound is,ive noticed the reduction in frame rate with sound on, then off. so far ive got a pretty good network going on and i was just wondering?

388TH_A
05-01-2010, 09:53 AM
I two wouldnt mind knowing because i have also noticed some frame loss with sound on ver off. LOL maybe i just need a better computer then an old Socket A AMD Athlon XP 2600+

Trevor

Ronson2k9
05-01-2010, 01:25 PM
You could route your controls to a different computer. The controls that effect sound (Throttles/Gear/Cockpit ehancements - Seat built sign/attendant call). You could then use that computer to generate the sounds. As I'm thinking the other computers are for gauges and I/O that could work. You would need to sync frame rates though so that both the visuals and sound matched up with each other.

So you would need to run a second instance of FSX on a seperate computer to do it. As the visuals are the big frame hogs if you reduce the visuals on the 'Sound' computer you should be able to sync them quite successfully. Now this 'Sound' machine could be one you already are using if it has the stuff to run FSX on it's own but it would require a rethinking of your connections as it would be out of your networked computers sorta speak. As instead of connected to another computer your 'Sound Hub' is the control interface that is your cockpit. So it would need to be one that isn't currently doing visuals as that would defeat that idea.

To increase frames a few things you can do is..

- Reduce the amount of graphic detail you have currently (probably you're least favorite option)
- Check to make sure all your drivers are up to date (VC/SC etc).
- Upgrade your main FSX computer (new sound card/video card/Ram/CPU)
Note: increasing Ram could help as your computer uses all Ram to process your actions.

Sound is one of those things that takes very little to process so if sound is effecting frames then your FSX comp could be at it's limits (Ram/CPU). Also the number of networked comps effects that too as it has to deal with sending data back and forth from your other machines.

So ..

Updating would come first (it's free and may solve your problem)
Upgrading adding in more Ram and or upgrading your sound card could also fix that

As a dedicated 'sound computer' would be outside of your computer network it wouldn't be effected by anything in your network and would run to the best of it's ability given the same inputs from your cockpit to process sound alone. That could be a good option if upgrading is harder/more expensive then adding in a control bus (splitter for your controls that effect sound) from your cockpit to direct the FSX sound and the other computer. Keep in mind though that even though you turn off the visuals of the sound machine FSX is still going to process them but you can turn them way down as you aren't using that machine for visuals. So you could do this on a FSX minimum spec machine. With the best sound card you could get for it. ** Dedicated sound should be the best quality you can get... IMO

-- Experiment. Make a note of your current visual settings first so you can return them to that after then reduce the visuals on your current FSX comp to minimum. And see what the effect is on FPS (make a note of the difference). Then turn your sound off and see what that does to frames. Then you will know if adding a 'sound machine' is a good bet. Depending on your current configuration (see previous post). If you are running a sound machine I would then add a second card to work as your ATC and perhaps your online connection (VATSIM) a network card if your currently doing that? Reducing the burden on your main FSX comp and getting even better FPS..

So a bit of shuffle to do and some added wiring but could be done.

Hope that helps...
Ron

props
05-07-2010, 12:13 AM
Hey Ron thanks for the info. Im just to the point of networking with fswide and learning alot my next stage is to get my sounds together. then i well start the wood work so i can add my switches and the sort, but for now its sound only. now im with you as far as the controls i can do that, but to sync frame rates so that both the visuals and sound matched up with each other. WOW can you walk me with that one. i notice that i can only run one FS when all the clients are connected
what do i do next ????? the sound hub? out of the network? i think im looking at this to close it makes sense BUT????
thanx again for your support
PROPS

Ronson2k9
05-13-2010, 03:51 AM
Sorry for the late reply..

By sync them what I mean is that both your FSX 'Graphic' machine and your 'Sound' machine are at the same frame rate.. So one isn't lagging behind the other. Most likely your sound machine will out perform your graphic machine so it's not a problem. But think of it this way.. Your getting say 20fps on your graphic machine and 35fps on your sound machine (graphics turned way down). What will happen is when you say put your flaps down is .. The sound machine will get that done a bit faster then your graphics machine and the flaps will go down but the sound will be done sooner.. So as your sound machine should be faster.. make sure you reduce it's frame rate to that of your graphics machine so the sound matches your actions..

Also out the network means it's not connected to your other computers but your controls inputs (the ones that generate sound) are being sent to two different computers. So your cockpit controls become a hub.. It's like connecting the same mouse to two different computers. Your mouse is then a input hub. At first glance that seemed like an easy way to do it but thinking about it for a moment it could be difficult if using USB. If not then perhaps not to bad. I did find this though..

KVM Switch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch)

This will let you connect 1 keyboard and or 1 mouse and or (USB devices) to multiple machines. Just search for KVM Switch to find retailers in your area. In Canada they are about $60.00 so not to expensive. I would use something like this if your connection out from your controls is a USB one KVM to USB switch (http://www.smartvm.com/usb-2-port-kvm-switch-p8360.htm). You can extend the number of controls by adding a USB hub to the switch. So you can have multiple inputs coming from your controls via USB and then they will be spread over more then one machine. Well with the above linked example 2 but I'm sure there are others that will do more then 2 computers at a time (more $$$ though). It's a different way of networking but seems pretty cool and nearly built for us flight simmers.

Cheers
Ron

Likaa
05-26-2010, 06:33 AM
thanks a lot for your reply!

props
06-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Hey Ron sorry it toke so long I was able to get a kvm switch and im running 5 computers and left and right insrtuments i added a usb hub which makes things really happen as far as sounds i was able to get a usb digital sound enhancer this goes along with a old surrond system i had which makes thing sound really nice. Hey thanks again for point me in that direction
Props

Ronson2k9
06-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Cool glad I could help.