PDA

View Full Version : Curved Screen

Ross182
04-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Hello

I want to build a curved projection (twice curved = see attachemnt) for my 3x DLP Projectors.
Have anybody some experiences with ? Any pictures,manuals,tutorials and tips are very welcome!!

Thanks

Nick1150
05-22-2010, 12:53 PM
That's a great project !!!

I sure would like to know more on that ;)

blueskydriver
05-25-2010, 08:32 PM
I did some researching and found that these curved screens, in 150 and 200 degree versions, is available from Northern Flight Sim.

http://www.northernflightsim.com/index.shtml

As for prices, I don't know yet, but I did email them for more information. Ross did you purchase a setup from them? If so, which version did you get and what was the cost?

Thanks

jskibo
05-28-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm in the same situation. Looking to put together my visuals using Optoma GT720 projectors. Trying to decide how I want to do the curved screen (wood frame, fabric over tube, mdf, or something?). I want to get the visuals up and running to keep the inspiration level high as I build the rest.

Efe Cem Elci
05-28-2010, 11:51 AM
If you have experience in 3d modeling software, it relatively easy to get the design set. Production is a whole different ball game though!

jskibo
05-28-2010, 12:03 PM
My struggle now is with the distance (limited space of 12 ft edge of curve to other edge) and the radius I will need. Going to set up one PJ and do some experiments to see what works best

Efe Cem Elci
05-28-2010, 02:35 PM
My struggle now is with the distance (limited space of 12 ft edge of curve to other edge) and the radius I will need. Going to set up one PJ and do some experiments to see what works best

If my calculations are correct, that is a 3.6m diameter. That should be good enough but I'm not at home so I can't check out calculations. What are you planning on using for visuals?

jskibo
05-28-2010, 08:03 PM
I bought an Optoma GT720 last week, and just scored 2 more brand new ones locally for $580 each, so I have my 3 PJ's now.

Sean Nixon
05-29-2010, 05:10 AM
I want to get the visuals up and running to keep the inspiration level high as I build the rest.

That was exactly my thinking. I built a temporary curved screen in a couple of hours for around 15 UK quid. I fully plan to construct a better screen once the rest of the sim has progressed, but this temporary setup is better than I could've imagined when I first thought of building it.

Here's the thread if you haven't seen it...

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php/19264-Pictures-of-my-curved-screen-setup

flatlandpilot
05-29-2010, 05:43 AM
If you have experience in 3d modeling software, it relatively easy to get the design set. Production is a whole different ball game though!

Would be nice to find a way to copy 2-way bended screens easy.
My mill can only do 10 x 20 cm. But when you have a 200 x 100 cm. mill vacuum moulding would be a way to go.
you could mill 18mm. ribs, for one meter you need 50 pieces, then you could glue them together and
sand it, paint it, and polish it afterwards, then you have a vacuum bed ready for mass production.

I find more and more reasons to want a BIG mill ;)

choffmann
09-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Thinking about my screen setup.
I have limited space and I must be able to kinda pull aside the screen for various purposes.
I was thinking of installing a curved curtain rail having the radius I need to the floor and another one on the ceiling and have very light satin curtains or some better white material span in between, using small wheels, with which I can slide the curtains aside. There must be a span mechanism. In this way, I might also be able to have two curvatures, horizontal and vertical like the screens in post #1 of this thread. Will be doing some research in this and report if I can get on with it.
Chris

Nick1150
09-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi Chris,

I thought the same thing, witgouit wheels, installed on the wall, without the bottom rail. My idea was to put weights every lets say 10 cms on the bottom of the curtain :roll:

To be honest I am not extremely happy with this idea, so I keep on researching...

BTW has anyone tried this solution maximised of course in our 2 meters wide cockpits ?

http://www.frex.com/gp/canopy/canopy_en.html

It looks like a nice idea, but has to be adapted in FS instead of car racing...

jskibo
09-04-2010, 02:37 PM
My first attempt will be with PVC 3/4" pipe bent to the radius I need. Planned on doing it so the screen could be broken down (i.e. not gluing all the connections) when not in use or I need to do something in the garage. I was going to throw the dropcloths over it until I get it right, then though of buying blackout cloth and having either pockets sewn in it to push the pipe through (with eyelets on the end to stretch it, or just using tape backed velcro to hold it in place. If I could get a free weekend soon (not likely with 4 kids at home) I will lay it out and provide some photos.

fsaviator
09-05-2010, 02:52 AM
BTW has anyone tried this solution maximised of course in our 2 meters wide cockpits ?

http://www.frex.com/gp/canopy/canopy_en.html

It looks like a nice idea, but has to be adapted in FS instead of car racing...

Giasou Nick. Pos Pai? Nice ideas for screens! That would be great. Any ideas what the costs run?

Nick1150
09-05-2010, 05:04 AM
Giasou Nick. Pos Pai? Nice ideas for screens! That would be great. Any ideas what the costs run?Hi Warren,

In fact this week I am ordering my pedestal, but I am already researching my next parts (seats & external visuals). I still have not ordered my projectors, just beacuse I still have not decided where it would be better to install them (ceiling is out of my options). So I am still researching ;)

The frex screen is designed for racing car simulation, which is half the size of our cockpits and cost 1000 euro in Japan !!!! In my opinion the otimum solution would be the costruction of a fiberglass half dome, something like 1/4 of a lemon, with 3 to 3,5 dimensions diameter. The cost of course will be too high again.