PDA

View Full Version : Basic Installation of the Boeing Glass cockpit

jelugs
03-21-2010, 06:49 AM
Hi to all,

Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding for someone new to P.M.

I am running FS2004 in Windows 7 and have downloaded the demo version of the glass cockpit to try before buy! I have Wide FS and Fsuipc installed in the Modules folder. I have attempted to read the PM documentation but it seems above my head, I find it difficult to weed out the bit I need to get the basics of getting it working!. I have searched the forum but cant find any notes re installation. So my basic question is where do I go from here to get the Glass cockpit appearing in a 737 in my FS2004 menu, do I need more software?, do I need to configure some files? or what!!

Sorry if its basic but to a beginner its frustrating!

Thanks again

jelugs

Sean Nixon
03-21-2010, 06:58 AM
It's been a while since I played with the PM demo, but it doesn't show up in FS2004.

Select a 737 of your choice (default or add on) and position the aircraft to the demo area (somewhere in USA, the manual tells you where, KSFO and KLAX area from memory).

If everything is set up correctly, the PM glass cockpit software should replicate the FS situation. If it doesn't, you've missed something.

I'm reloading the PM demo soon, so if you are still stuck, I'll try and help out. It's quite easy though if you follow the instructions (if I did it, you can!).

Sean

johnwayne
03-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Do you have FSUIPC installed? Also with windows 7 I am finding that one needs to right click applications and click " run as administrator " to allow inter program communication so I would try that also. From memory you dont have anything appear in the FS2004 menu the software connects outside the FS program.

jelugs
03-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Hi Sean,

First of all many thanks for your intervention. I have tried doing what you suggested but still no joy. One thing that must be significant but I don't know how I should correct it is that the file checker in the demo doesn't find FSUIPC or Wide Fs.... should I have them somewhere other than in the Modules folder? You mention instructions? where exactly are these? I couldn't find any in the demo set up?

Thanks again

Eric

jelugs
03-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Do you have FSUIPC installed? Also with windows 7 I am finding that one needs to right click applications and click " run as administrator " to allow inter program communication so I would try that also. From memory you dont have anything appear in the FS2004 menu the software connects outside the FS program.

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply...yes indeed FSUIPC is installed in the Modules directory of FS2004 along with WideFS...I assume this is the correct location. Running the FS9.exe file as administrator didn't help but of course that could still be to do with the fact that the above files "appear" to be missing.Better mention they are version 3.65 is that OK?

Regards

Eric

Cmte. Pena
04-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Hi guys!

I had the same problem! :)

Just share the Flight Simulator folder, the Microsoft Games Files folder (usually in MyDocuments) and the Magenta folder (custom istalled in C:\PFD). Note: when you share the Microsoft Games Files folder, put the name of the shared folder as FSPLANS; in the manual of the Magenta there's informations about this.

Sorry about my poor english!

I hope you had understood! ;)

At this I have a little problem: when I change the HDG and SPD knobs on my MCP (Opencockpits MCP) nothing happen on Magenta glasscockpit. :(

Does anybody knows what happen?

Luiz Cláudio
Brazil

jelugs
04-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Hi guys!

I had the same problem! :)

Just share the Flight Simulator folder, the Microsoft Games Files folder (usually in MyDocuments) and the Magenta folder (custom istalled in C:\PFD). Note: when you share the Microsoft Games Files folder, put the name of the shared folder as FSPLANS; in the manual of the Magenta there's informations about this.

Sorry about my poor english!

I hope you had understood! ;)

At this I have a little problem: when I change the HDG and SPD knobs on my MCP (Opencockpits MCP) nothing happen on Magenta glasscockpit. :(

Does anybody knows what happen?

Luiz Cláudio
Brazil

Hi Luiz,

Thanks for your comments, I will see if I can sort that out using your method.

Many thanks for your help

Eric

Cmte. Pena
04-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Ok, Eric.

I don´t have a cockpit yet, but in the tests with Project Magenta I solved the problem that way.

I´m thinking I need an aircraft config file to 737PMDG to solve another problem with HDG e SPD knobs. With default 737, no problem.

If anybody knows where I can find this file, please, tell me.

Luiz Cláudio
Brazil

mpl330
04-23-2010, 01:24 AM
Hi Eric,

There is a tool you can run from the PM folder that will check if everything is setup correctly (can't remember what it is called right now as I am not on my fs pc) and it will also tell you what is missing.

PM doesn't appear in FS as Sean mentions, it is a program that runs outside of FS showing the pfd screens etc. getting its info from FS via fsuipc. As mentioned you also have to share your fs drive so other pc's can see it...
Cheers
Mike

SAS541
04-23-2010, 01:50 AM
Eric,

To really use PM, you will need multiple PC's. Without that, the only way to run it would be with more than one screen attached to the flight sim PC, but i have never tried this.

If you are using multiple PC's for your setup, something to bear in mind with windows 7, is to disable homegroup sharing, disable password requirments for shares, and make sure that the windows 7 machine and the other machines are using the same workgroup, username and password.

Once this is done, the client PC's will be able to see the 2 shares on your flight sim PC (FSPLANS & FSPATH) that the PM software needs to access to run correctly. Running PMFileCheck will confirm this.

Send me a PM if you need help with this, as i have my flight sim PC running Windows 7 and 3 XP clients connected to it without any issues. It did take a bit of playing around to get it all working properly though.

Another thought before i go, is how much RAM does the flight sim windows 7 PC have installed? As you will need to be running the x64 version of windows 7 if you want it to be able to use more than 3 GB if you have more installed.

Regards
Ben

saabpilot
05-28-2010, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=Cmte. Pena;103307]

I´m thinking I need an aircraft config file to 737PMDG to solve another problem with HDG e SPD knobs. With default 737, no problem.

Hi,

Be aware that PMDG737 is not compatible at all with Project Magenta.
You can use PMDG737 as an aircraft only = you must delete all PMDG "Gauges" in PMDG aicraft config file.

If you do not do that the PMDG gauges will interfere with PM.

Best,
Bjorn