PDA

View Full Version : Knob Molds?

Buddym
03-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Before I go and make a mold or just buy knobs, does anyone have molds they have used to make the A1 style knobs? I though I would try making them before buying them, they seem pretty expensive for what they are, but I don't want to have crappy knobs on my nice new panels either. I have seen some youtube videos on making molds and casting into them with different materials so I thought I might try.. what's your thoughts?

Thanks,
Buddy

capetonian
03-18-2010, 05:10 PM
A1 Style? are these 737 knobs? Somewhere here I have pictures of the transparent knobs that I cast. Casting is really easy.

Buddym
03-19-2010, 03:32 PM
To be honest I am looking for the various knobs to put on my glare panels..... I am happy to make my own, but can't find any to make molds from... I can use the A1 style if I have to, but it would be nice to have accurate replicas of the various styles on the A320. At $7-$10 each for retail replicas, I can live with 'close enough' if the price is more reasonable. Once I get a good mold made it should be easy to make lots of them.

Buddy

capetonian
03-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Yep. A good mold will make a lot of knobs if you use it properly. Use RTV silicon for your mold, it's durable, and is tough enough to handle slight undercuts in molds. Use a special spray (or spray n cook) to ensure that your parts can be easily removed from the mold.

If you are going to be making a lot of one type of knob, make a master mold for one, then cast 10 or so knobs. Put your master mold away and make a new mold box for 5 or 10 knobs (5 knobs per mold should be about the max) save the first casts along with the master mold in case you need to cast more molds or in case you damage the mold box.

If you need any help or have any questions about molds or pouring them, feel free to ask.

Buddym
03-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks, yes I tell ya, if someone had a spare of each type of know on the A320 panels that would be excellent to buy or borrow. I can't even find some of them to buy retail.

Buddy