PDA

View Full Version : strange I/O behaviour

daveturner
03-06-2010, 07:44 PM
H guys,
Just finished my radio stack and all inputs and outputs work properly according to controlador but.......
When running SIOC the stack works but random switch contacts occur periodically along with random outputs!
Any ideas?

fordgt40
03-07-2010, 05:03 AM
I assume that you are using a mastercard connected by a 40 way ribbon cable. If so, then try "waggling" the cable connection at either end to see if the random inputs/outputs can be generated. I have had similar problems with ribbon cables, supplied by OC having poor crimping

David

daveturner
03-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi David
Thanks for your response
Yes it is a master card connected with 40 way ribbon cables (ex PC, not OpenCockpits). They seem to be fine and I cannot replicate the behaviour by waggling them. The controlador reports rock solid behaviour and the problem only occurs when running SIOC.

Dave

fordgt40
03-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Dave

It is always worth trying the simple ones first! If Contolador is rock solid, then presumably then you are getting random uncommanded switch and output changes of state? Have you tried running the log within iocpconsole to see what is happening. I do not know your level of experience with SIOC, which as an event driven programme can cause apparently uncommanded changes! Try to follow events through the "log" function to establish if this might be a programming issue. Apologies if you have already trod this path

Regards

David

daveturner
03-07-2010, 05:47 PM
David
I would'nt say I was an expert with SIOC but I think I understand it! I can see how the programming could result in spurious inputs or outputs due to event changes but the outputs can be random triggering of the Gear LEDs (out of sequence!) or the Fuel Gauge LEDs.I'll give the console a whirl and see if that sheds any light (no pun intended!)

Dave

daveturner
03-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Hi Guys
Decided to bite the bullet and strip out the miles of ad hoc wiring and replace it all in a more systematic way. Finally finished it and think i found the problem......a shared earth between some outputs and the input block used for a/p.
The issue is that another problem has now occured. Every 9th pin on the input connectors doesn't work!!!!!! This is a new problem as they were working before.
Any ideas?

Dave

flatlandpilot
04-04-2010, 02:23 AM
I had those problems too
tried all the parralelport modi,
other wiring etc.

until I connected the Mastercard with the Expansioncard to USB.

daveturner
04-04-2010, 03:07 PM
hi,
thanks for the reply.......I have tried everything with no success so ordered the usb
expansion board last week! Hopefully this will sort it out.

Dave

flatlandpilot
04-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Every 9th pin on the input connectors doesn't work!!!!!!
exact like that......

see it from the bright side: now you get the 4 analog ports extra, and you are ready for 3 more mastercards ;)

OC "experiences by stupidness from me":
- 12v on the Mastercard will kill youre displaycard(s) (eventually), but the Mastercard survives.
- bad 5v (to low) on the Mastercard >> normal outputs are on level (feeded from USB?), display card(s) won't work.

SIOC is just great, thnx OC/Manolo.

Buddym
04-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Yespp, same here ... went to the USB exp card oand all work fine now.

Buddy

daveturner
04-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi guys
USB expansion card arrived today..................plugged it in, changed ini files and.........................no difference (9th inputs still not working). Downloaded schematic for Mastercard and set to with multimeter and eventually found a broken track in the middle of the board (too many plugging/unplugging operations I guess!). Repaired it and.........................it now works perfectly.
Thanks for the input (no pun intended)

Dave