PDA

View Full Version : Fly Engravity or Opencockpits FMC which way to go???

docmeister
03-05-2010, 03:42 AM
Hi All :)

Right then.... I have decided that I'm going to go the next step up with my sim and now that I have bought a throttle from Throttletec (still waiting for it to get here), I am now looking at a FMC/CDU.

This unit is for the 737 and I have looked at Fly Engravity (F/E) and Opencockpits (O/C) and I have read up on some info but I am a little confused. Firstly the price difference, F/E are selling for $889.00 euro which for me is $1350.00 $AU (ouch) and then there is O/C which are selling for $347.00 euro ($573.00 $AU) so what is the big diffence between the two. From what I can tell the F/E has back lit keys and the O/C does not, the O/C requires a TV output fron the Video card (i don't have one of those and I am currently using both DVI outputs) so do I need another card? and I think the F/E requires only a USB port.

With all this in mind, are they both plug and play?? apart from loading up the software I dont need to plug them through another card ie and expansion card. I want to make sure that I have all the right information before I place an order and find that I cant use it.

Well thats it....WOW building a cockpit is so much fun but soooooo bloody expensive :-D

Cheers Guys

Chris

twisted8
03-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Can't speak for the F/E unit (which looks excellent) but I do have the O/C unit and it looks good and it works just fine. I think you have the differences down pretty well. Also the O/C unit doesn't have the lights (exec, msg ofst, etc) You have to add those with a O/C master card. So it's probably better for those of us who are running other O/C products.
I guess it depends whether you want a plug-n-play unit or something cheaper but that you would have to play around with and add some work to it. I personally like building so I got the O/C FMC kit (which is even cheaper) and have been having fun building it. Also the O/C can be backlit, but again that's even more additional work.
I guess is a question of time vs money
There are RCA to VGA converters but not very cheap about US$70
Good luck!

mascot
03-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Hi Chris

I have the F/E CDU and this unit is a true masterpiece. Rigid design and it only needs a power adapter and a USB cable. So no new GPU's needed. The Display and the Keyboard is dimmable, you can adjust the contrast of the display you can even adjust the loudness of a keyclick if you want one... The EXE Light is built in of course. I know the unit is expensive but if your looking for a true plug and play unit there is no way round it... And it never failed to work so far!

Greetz

bindook
03-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi Chris,
dont forget to add customs duty to the F/E unit which would put a few more $$$$$ on to the unit.

Michael

twisted8
03-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Not sure if you made a decision yet but just to let you know I got a VGA to RCA converter for about $18 USD. You can get them on ebay. They work great with the opencockpit/PSone Screen so you don't have to worry about not having a TV output on your video card.

OliT
04-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Hi guys- I'm considering the Opencockpits FMC too- currently using the VR Insight- or at least I would be if'd not decided I'd rather use the keyboard and mouse than that "thing".

My question is this- I have to outs on my video card- currently one goes to a TH2G for externals and one to a single monitor for the instrument panel.
I can't afford the engravity one although I know hoe fabulous everyone thinks it is. Can I use something like this
http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?prodID=B277397&viewOverview=y&showold=#productTop
to cheat and plug the FMC into (two ) USB ports? Any downsides to be wary of?
If so I can build it into my current system very easily and can go ahead and get the EFIS at the same time.

Anyone help a newbie?
Many thanks,
Oli T.

twisted8
04-11-2010, 01:58 PM
That adapter wouldn't work for the opencockpits cdu since it uses an RCA input unless you get the VGA to RCA adapter as well. I think if your motherboard can support a second video card I would look for an older cheap video card with the analog RCA output. Something like the nvidia 8600 I belive would work

Thiago Pessanha
06-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Not sure if you made a decision yet but just to let you know I got a VGA to RCA converter for about $18 USD. You can get them on ebay. They work great with the opencockpit/PSone Screen so you don't have to worry about not having a TV output on your video card.

Hello Fabian, could you post here the link for buy it on ebay?

Thanks!!

Westozy
06-03-2010, 03:07 AM
Hi Chris, where in Oz are you?

Flightdeck Solutions are about to release their new FMC which apparantly has a colour VGA screen. I am waiting to buy two for my sim and they are supposed to be priced similar to their existing FMCs. (CAD$995.00) Last I heard they were bench testing the prototypes and there is already a queue of people waiting for them. I'm looking forward to upgrading my sim to SimAvionics and FDS hardware. I've just ordered the 128/256 Sys 1X card in preparation.

Cheers, Gwyn
www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

Anderson/SBSP
06-03-2010, 06:48 AM
If money is not problem, Flyengravity is the right choice!!

I have one FMC from OC and dont like!! The OC FMC is not plug&play, the quality of material is not so good, for hard use i dont recomend this.

twisted8
06-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Hello Fabian, could you post here the link for buy it on ebay?

Thanks!!

Sure no problem, this is not who I got it from (not on my ebay history anymore) but this is the same unit I got. Works for PAL and NTSC

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-VGA-AV-TV-RCA-video-converter-adapters-box-b-/120577537540?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c12fb3604

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Computor-Presentation-Converter-VGA2TV/dp/B000X3FAJU

No Longer Active
06-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Can I add my opinion on this?

I would definitely go for Engravity if you have the money to spend. If you don't have that sort of money but really needs to get an FMC in the bay quickly, I'd go for the OC unit. Buy the dummy panel first, then by the kit to convert it, and then build the fmc, interface etc (all costs add up though). It is not exactly plug and play and you will need to configure the unit yourself via software and sioc.

The advantages of the OC is the cheap price, but you will really need to know your OC gear and be confident in knowing that you can get the FMC to do the job.

The advantages of Engravity, is the fact that it is plug and play, solid design, very reputable and you will have no head-aches. It will do what you need it to do, and quickly. Downside is that it is expensive, but then again it's not because you get what you pay for and that is sheer brilliance!

If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys......as they say!

Cheers,

Alex

Anderson/SBSP
06-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Can I add my opinion on this?

I would definitely go for Engravity if you have the money to spend. If you don't have that sort of money but really needs to get an FMC in the bay quickly, I'd go for the OC unit. Buy the dummy panel first, then by the kit to convert it, and then build the fmc, interface etc (all costs add up though). It is not exactly plug and play and you will need to configure the unit yourself via software and sioc.

The advantages of the OC is the cheap price, but you will really need to know your OC gear and be confident in knowing that you can get the FMC to do the job.

The advantages of Engravity, is the fact that it is plug and play, solid design, very reputable and you will have no head-aches. It will do what you need it to do, and quickly. Downside is that it is expensive, but then again it's not because you get what you pay for and that is sheer brilliance!

If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys......as they say!

Cheers,

Alex

I Agree!!!

No Longer Active
06-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Also, something on the positive side.....

Once you have bought it, then you have it, you will never need to buy that piece of equipment again, and then you can buy the next important piece of equipment that you need, over time you will have such a vast collection of cockpit components; you will wonder where the time went, and before you know it you have your amazing sim!

The expensive stuff is always cheaper in the end!

spiro
06-04-2010, 04:40 AM
hi to all
i agree with you Alex i am in the same position as many i what to buy an mcdu and was thinking about the same
OC but i i am not very good with this pc cofiguration stuff so i guse that OC will not be right for me

on the other hand F/E dose not have airbus cdus only 737 and 747
i am using cockpitsonic hardwere witch is plug and play but there mcdu is very expencive!!!!
and really can not find anything eles that is plug and play for the airbus
so i am not shore what to do
regards

No Longer Active
06-04-2010, 05:14 AM
Hi Spiro,

OC is the only option for the A320 unless you can afford Cockpitsonic or FDS.

I think that this is one of those elements where the BOEING is cheaper than the AIRBUS, we just get caught out on this one, and this is where we call truce on the BOEING VS AIRBUS debate.....if you know what I mean.

By the way Spiro I got the PANELES.ZIP mip manufactured from CNC (6mm MDF) a while ago.....pictures here:

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/entry.php/89-A320-Project

Cheers, Alex

No Longer Active
06-04-2010, 05:41 AM
Here's the Engravity FMC for $850!

http://www.mycockpit.org/mcpclass/for-sale/p489-engravity-cdu-for-737.html

Go grab it before someone else does!

spiro
06-04-2010, 07:20 AM
hi Alex
yes i understand i think i will save up and get the cockpitsonic one it is worth the money
how ever is making a 737 is lucky with the cdu you can get 2 at the price of 1 airbus mcdu!!!!!!
nice job on the panels very good cant whait until you paint it
keep us updated
regards

No Longer Active
06-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Painting it this weekend or early next week, will look very good when finished. I have just bought a full set of Flight Deck Solutions (2nd Gen) A320 glare panels with hardware so cant wait for them to arrive either! Plenty to keep me busy!