PDA

View Full Version : Work in progress MIP

Steve1970
02-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Hi

Just a few pictures of my MIP, all still work in progress, lots still to do.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_8q107uANuIQ/S1XcBdg8sXI/AAAAAAAABG8/cJqeaxa5VSM/s400/mip5.jpg
The basic design in Solidworks.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_8q107uANuIQ/S3fhkhHS13I/AAAAAAAABMQ/Oybbfz0k0AU/s400/IMG_1199.JPG
Laser Cut 1.5mm steel panel, screwed to CNC routed MDF frame 1" thick for stability.
Bendy MDF sheets glued and cut to form the cowl.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_8q107uANuIQ/S3fhKVNsOpI/AAAAAAAABLA/W_FZevuUkqM/s400/IMG_1239.JPG
Assembly of the main parts after powder coating and covering of the cowl.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_8q107uANuIQ/S3fhuzAVP-I/AAAAAAAABMc/z_6n0-LMw94/s400/IMG_1253.JPG
Gauge rings turned from acetol plastic to fit encoders between screen.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_8q107uANuIQ/S3fgmVJatWI/AAAAAAAABJ0/gR6lJq6-tgk/s400/IMG_1270.JPG
Assembly in-situ with the FS PC and the PC to run Project Magenta and SIOC for Open Cockpits cards.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_8q107uANuIQ/S3hAA3xhQ3I/AAAAAAAABPQ/mW8UcepISoQ/s400/IMG_1280.JPG
Project Magenta gauges.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_8q107uANuIQ/S3g_VbzGnzI/AAAAAAAABOs/TwpFw48tpOQ/s400/IMG_1278.JPG
A quick test flight, none of the pushbuttons yet wired, very immersive though!

All the best,

Steve.

No Longer Active
02-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi Steve.

Fantastic work on the MIP, typical of your high standards, pure excellence.

But can you tell me how you import gauges into Project Magenta 'Black Panel', looking to import a squared fuel guahe from one of the other PM IFR Panels, but doesnt know how to import them, would you know......?

Also how do you configure the HDG bug using encoders, because my encoder takes forever to rotate to the required position, I have to assign my encoder to FAST forward, and SLOW backwards just to get required results.....? Do you know a solution?

Kind Regards,

Alex Jarratt,

Steve1970
02-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi Alex

to be honest I don't have a clue, I only use the standard gauges. Would be interested to know if importing gauges was possible. Never really considered that.

All the best,

Steve.

pilotwannabe
02-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Very impressive work Steve. The finish on the MIP is beautiful - you certainly have an eye for detail.
This is the sort of set-up to which I aspire.

Your posts on the GarSim530 and the radio stack modules are an inspiration and a source of constant reference.
I look forward to seeing the finished article.

Best wishes

Colin

Ronson2k9
02-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Great job. Very impressive. I'd rank it high on the drool meter.
My apartment is still a bit of mess but I've gotta get going on mine soon.
I really miss flying.

You wouldn't have any shots of the frame for the MIP would you. Looks pretty clean.

Keep up the great work and the updates coming.

flatlandpilot
02-15-2010, 06:03 AM
great work, I like the powder coated plate with the MDF behind.
quite a job but it really pays off.

No Longer Active
02-16-2010, 05:35 AM
Your MIP reminds me of a cross between a Cessna 172 and a PA28 and a Generic Sim....all roled into one.....very innovative design!

Kerbo
02-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Very nice work Steve, thanks for sharing. I need some warm weather to get working again on my MIP in the garage.

padus71
02-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Hi Steve,

what a fantastic cockpit..!

That is the idea I'm considering since last year, but my consruction is going very slow. Not yet MIP (alluminium?.. wood...?), for the moment I'm getting practice with encoder programming in sioc, since, like you, I wuold like to have a cockpit with lcd projected gauges, but also the possibility to manually adjust the hdg, crs and so on....
I'will try also the way of handmade raidios, with Opencockpit display card and 7 segment displays..

Wich type of monitor all the gauges stay behind?

Btw, excuse if I permit,... but the is the possibility of sharing your MIP drawings..?

thankng in advance

Marco, Italy

Joe Cygan
02-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Great stuff and super work!

Anderson/SBSP
02-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Congrats!!! very cool your cockipt.

Seyton
02-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Great work Steve! (like always ;-) )
Which version of SolidWorks do you use?
Can you share Saitek Throttle and Yoke models?
Thanks a lot!

dukabr
02-22-2010, 01:23 AM
Hi Steve

You are using triplehead2go to visual system?
Why you dont use projector?

Amazing!!!!
I Love IT!!!

Sorry for my english

Steve1970
02-22-2010, 03:40 AM
Eventually I would like to go with projector, but I invested in the 3 monitor TH2go some 2 years ago, and cant afford to spend on other visual options at the moment.

I also have quite a small room for my sim so I think that the projector route might be difficult.

Steve1970
02-22-2010, 03:42 AM
Great work Steve! (like always ;-) )
Which version of SolidWorks do you use?
Can you share Saitek Throttle and Yoke models?
Thanks a lot!

Hi,

I am using Solidworks 2004
The Saitek stuff is from the pro flight range

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/?action=prodinfo&art=73021

klm320
02-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Looking good Steve!
Like your yoke solution, fits nice in the panel without modifying the yoke itself.

William.

NigelD
02-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Amazing amazing amazing. The quality of your work is awesome! Makes my MDF panels look like I literally chewed them out of a block of wood.

Great work, keep it up!

Nigel.

twisted8
02-22-2010, 09:29 AM
beautiful work! great job!

Seyton
02-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Yes i have them yet! (both yoke and throttle)
I need Solidworks models of saitek stuff because i'm drawing cockpit in SW like you :)

Thanks a lot!

Steve1970
02-22-2010, 06:01 PM
sorry duhh, I didn't read your post properly. Yes, I can send you the models, just pm your email address.

Tomahawk
04-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Wow,that is amazing work Steve, keep up the fantastic work.

Paul

Doon1
04-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Hi Steve,
Very nice work there. A question if I may. Is there enough room to have the yoke in the full forward position and still turn it without hitting the OBS knobs?
John

Steve1970
04-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Yes, just about.

Steve

grumman goose
12-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Steve1970,
Hello, I have a small room for my sim pit too but now that the projector industry has come out with whats called a short throw projector
you can have a large image displayed at a very short distance! My room is only 11' by 11" so I will be able to mount the projector from only 3 ft away
and will be able to get an 80" inch display. something to consider!

gabrielalexm
12-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Gauge rings turned from acetol plastic to fit encoders between screen.

Steve, your panel looks awesome. I'm trying to do something similar. Can you give more details about the rings for the instruments? Is that plastic something you mold or is it a pipe you cut? I'm having a hard time finding plastic pipe with an outer diameter of 79 mm (3-1/8") for the standard size of large instruments.

Thanks,
Gabriel

Kamikater
03-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Hey Steve!

That looks really great.

Can you post some more details about the cowl? I'm facing a similar problem and this solution looks very promising.

Kind regards,
Tim

RojanTrojan
03-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Can't believe I missed this. Fantastic as always Steve. Top quality work. Wish i had gone for a TFT screen for my gauges. I bet they are smooth as glass...{groan} sorry!

Cheers

Rhydian

Jordan Farmer
03-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Rydian, the GA IFR set from PM are brilliant, very smooth, even on a rubbish PC. And i think this work is awesome steve, I will have to do some looking through your pictures and maybe do os making of my own :p

bessalf
10-04-2011, 05:53 AM
woww mate (Steve).. what a cockpit!! just on the spot, perfect!
wondering what type of hardware you've use for the knobs (rotary)? are they simple to configure on the FSUIPC? also looking to use Project Magenta to emulate the gauges..
do you have the project in CAD? would you mind sharing more info about your setup? struggling to find more information on how to configure rotary and switches..

thanks man.. well done!!

bessalf
10-04-2011, 07:07 AM
by the way Steve, would you mind sharing the solidworks project? would really appreciate.
thanks!!

Steve1970
10-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Hi bessalf

Thanks for your comments. For the MIP, the encoders that I used are from CTS. Gray type encoder.

These are available directly from opencockpits site-

Connects directly to Master card. CTS ref: 288VCC0F161B2

If you search on the digikey website, there are similar ones without detent (I cant remember the code).

Programming is via SIOC.

Project Magenta are slick I have to say.

I dont have CAD files for the full project, but if you need some specific help, then please feel free to pm me.

Cheers
Steve
www.emuteq.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i_wUo7UquY

woww mate (Steve).. what a cockpit!! just on the spot, perfect!
wondering what type of hardware you've use for the knobs (rotary)? are they simple to configure on the FSUIPC? also looking to use Project Magenta to emulate the gauges..
do you have the project in CAD? would you mind sharing more info about your setup? struggling to find more information on how to configure rotary and switches..

thanks man.. well done!!

bessalf
10-05-2011, 05:07 AM
Hi Steve, thanks for that, appreciate the reply.
I had a look at the website and found the encoder.. my idea is first to have the rotary encoder working on fsx, then I'll try the switches (on/off).. having that I can move forward on emulating the gauges.. my idea is to have the panel that I can remove, so in case I fly another aircraft, I can just swap it with the new position for the instruments.. let's say, from a C172 to a Seneca, but still not sure how to emulate them though, if PM is a good option.
Need some start, will buy this hardware and try that out.. I saw some pp using the Joystick Controller BU0836X.. which one did you use?

Cheers
Filipe

madladuk
01-22-2012, 12:03 PM
I to am looking for the rings and glass to go I front of the cutouts on my panel, did you find anything? Also how would you place an adjuster for the qnh if you are using a monitor to project the gauges?

Steve1970
01-22-2012, 01:20 PM
I to am looking for the rings and glass to go I front of the cutouts on my panel, did you find anything? Also how would you place an adjuster for the qnh if you are using a monitor to project the gauges?

Hi

In the end I made some rings myself because they are not readily available. I have since made a few sets for others. The encoders are just slim enough to fit between the MIP and the LCD display, requiring a gap of about 10mm. The Gauge rings then blank off to this depth.

Cheers
steve
www.emuteq.com

madladuk
01-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Hi thanks for the prompt reply, how did you make your own in the end? Do you have any images to share, would you be able to make any more? Could you advise what encoder and knobs you used? Many thanks Paul

madladuk
01-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Also where did you get your panel done? Was it CNC'd did you have to produce a CAD file for the cut, if so where did you get it, are these readily available. I currently fly a PS28 Warrior and want to make a cockpit with the same style setup. Thanks P

Steve1970
01-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Also where did you get your panel done? Was it CNC'd did you have to produce a CAD file for the cut, if so where did you get it, are these readily available. I currently fly a PS28 Warrior and want to make a cockpit with the same style setup. Thanks P

Hi

perhaps you can contact me via my contact page on my emuteq website, I will try to help you.

Cheers
Steve
www.emuteq.com

bessalf
06-19-2012, 03:58 AM
Hi Steve,

Would you mind sharing where you got the push buttons to change between nav1, nav2, com1, com2 etc on your sim?
On the gps, I have the push buttons already, but I'm looking for the black cover, which will appear in the gps front. No luck so far. Did you build it?

Thanks,
Filipe

hornos27
03-07-2015, 10:43 PM
Buenas trdes, ¿ya termino de ensamblar la cabina de piloto? estoy interesado en fabricar una de un cessna 172, usted me puede ayudar, gracias.

Avro748
03-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Buenas trdes, ¿ya termino de ensamblar la cabina de piloto? estoy interesado en fabricar una de un cessna 172, usted me puede ayudar, gracias.

Yo hablo poco Español, pero un mayoria de las personas en MyCockpit no hablan español. Necesitas usar un traduccion del internet. Lo siento.

hornos27
03-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Yo hablo poco Español, pero un mayoria de las personas en MyCockpit no hablan español. Necesitas usar un traduccion del internet. Lo siento.

no problem, we talk in english
I wonder if and term to build the cabin, I put together the cockpit of a Cessna 172 or 182, you can help me by telling me how?

hornos27
03-08-2015, 07:39 PM
no problem, we talk in english
I wonder if and term to build the cabin, I put together the cockpit of a Cessna 172 or 182, you can help me by telling me how?

Avro748
03-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Sorry, I'm not a c182 builder, so I can't help too much. But plenty of others here will be able to.

skullbyte
05-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Hello.
Great Job! Really awesome

Do you have a plan?
Or do you know where I can find.
I'm not so good at improvising.

Thanks alot!