PDA

View Full Version : WIN 7 and SSDs The TRIM Command

Prof Bill
02-09-2010, 09:16 AM
I have recently upgraded a WIN 7 4GH FSX RAID System with 500Gbs of SSDs.
Unbelievable blistering performance but currently expensive - belated christmas present!!!

During tuning and optimisation experiments I discovered the following paper that might be of interest to those considering SSD RAID performance, and the use of the TRIM command. In particular note that the solution to the performance problem is not yet available for RAID arrays. This phenomenon might possibly effect some in the long term!

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2010/02/04/windows-7-ssd-performance-and-trim/1

This should not deter one from experimenting using SSDs as load times are indeed unbelievable!

Bill.

twisted8
02-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Very interesting, what kind of performance gains? just in load times or anything else too?
Thanks

Prof Bill
02-09-2010, 06:58 PM
I decided today to rebuild the system and abandon RAID0 in favour of a large single SSD drive!
I began to notice miniscule degradation with the RAID0 configuration. The TRIM command works in this configuration (non RAID0) hence my decision to rebuild which might be helpful to others!

WIN 7 load time was almost immediate and I have yet to put a figure on it. FSX whilst extremly fast exhibited creeping degradation which I later discovered to be the TRIM problem.
Performance figures (not consistent) at this time would be misleading although very impressive.
I should have some consistent performance figures when I have a stable enviornment and TRIM works.

Bill.