PDA

View Full Version : Sioc / PM

mpl330
02-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Hi,

May be a really stupid question but i have the full PM suite (GC/Systems/FMC) and I am looking to ditch my fsbus cards for IO and moving to IOCards but do I need to use SIOC if I have PM? Can't I just use the I/O software and will PM handle the control instead of SIOC???

e.g. PM must handle whether the gear lights are illuminated etc. rather than me having to code it?

Dave (fordgt40) got me thinking after an email!!!

Cheers
Mike

fordgt40
02-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Mike

Re our earlier pm`s, apologies if I confused you! Indeed, I am sure that most avionics packages have the internal logic to turn on gear lights etc. The key issue here is how do you bridge the interface between the OC I/O cards and PM.

Regards

David

mpl330
02-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks David!

So cant I just use the IOcard software to assign / read values from FSUIPC offsets rather than needing to use the scripting language of sioc?
PM will handle the logic and assign values into fsuipc variables and then the IOCards standard software can read the fsuipc variables and vice versa???

Cheers
Mike

fordgt40
02-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Hi Mike

I now understand - can be a bit slow at times!! Yes, I believe you can use the OC IOCard software to map FSUIPC offsets to your hardware. However, I have never used this low level I/O software as it is limited and has no logical functions. SIOC is a higher level script based programme which gives you the power to make up your own responses and logic flow when necessary, which was essential for me at that time. However, with PM you should not need it. If I was starting from scratch, I would recommend using SIOC rather than the IOCard software, but it really depends on how comfortable you are with using a script based programme. I suggest you read both sets of documentaion to help decide

Regards

David

HansJansen
02-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Mike,

Also I think (but then I may think wrong...) the IOCards software is no longer supported by OpenCockpits. The SIOC language is not really difficult to use; especially if you only want to connect switches and LEDs. Nico Kaan has numerous examples on his site (http://www.lekseecon.nl/); I suggest you take a look ther.

Regards,

mpl330
02-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Hi all,

Ok will give sioc a go if I can download it - the links on the OC site all seem to be broken... Cant download v3.5 or the 3.6 update.... :?
Anyone got a live link?

Cheers
Mike

mpl330
02-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Ignore that, I now have v3.7...