PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to CNC!

Westozy
01-27-2010, 12:17 AM
Hi all, I just can't get away from my new machine it is just fantastic. This landing gear panel took about two hours all up to draw, cut out and engrave. (With a boring 6 hour wait for the epoxy enamel to dry!) I am currently making two sets of B737 panels and one set will be going into my sim, at last I'm working on my sim again and I will be getting it running in two weeks after it has been in storage since April, I can't wait. I'm also going to be building a
B777 TQ and MIP for Kennair...more pics as it grows!

http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/data/611/Landing-gear-panel.gif
Cheers, Gwyn

weshollett
01-27-2010, 07:25 AM
Looks Fab Mate, Well done

flatlandpilot
01-27-2010, 10:18 AM
With a boring 6 hour wait for the epoxy enamel to dry!
That sounds very quick to my ears.
thanks for letting me know that that is possible ;)

I had never heard of acrylic enamel paint before.

Westozy
01-27-2010, 08:55 PM
That sounds very quick to my ears.
thanks for letting me know that that is possible ;)

I had never heard of acrylic enamel paint before.

The panel is 4.5mm Opal acrylic and the paint is epoxy enamel, it is quite tough and adheres to the acrylic really well after removing the shine with 400 wet n dry paper!

maliga00
02-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Nice Job!, two question about:
1- bits did you use?
2- Colour (maybe some RAL?), Gloss o mate finish?.
You are an inspiration for other builders. Thanks
Alberto

Westozy
02-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Nice Job!, two question about:
1- bits did you use?
2- Colour (maybe some RAL?), Gloss o mate finish?.
You are an inspiration for other builders. Thanks
Alberto

Hi Alberto,

I used a 3mm 25degree, 0.5mm flat engraving tool. I switch the CNC router and mount my Dremel for engraving, it is much quieter. I am not too fussy on RAL colours unless a customer really wants it correct. I prefer to use colours that are easy to get hold of from the local hardware stores. I have a local supplier who can supply RAL colours in spray cans which is handy.

Cheers, Gwyn

maliga00
02-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks Gwyn!!

maliga00
10-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Hi Gwyn, Epoxy enamel is matt or Gloss. The question is about in my country is not easy find matt epoxy.
Thanks in advance
Alberto

Westozy
10-13-2013, 11:07 PM
Hi Alberto,
I am now getting spray cans made in the correct RAL colours, most good paint suppliers should be able to do this for you!
Cheers Gwyn

PeterH
10-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Hi Gwynn,

just for curiosity: which program did you draw the Landing panel with and what kind and size of font did you use for the text?
How about the engraving depth? Do you use a special set up in order to compensate for the thickness irregularities of the material?

Lots of questions. Hope you can shed some light onto it.
Thanks and best rgds

Peter

Westozy
10-17-2013, 02:14 AM
Hi Gwynn,

just for curiosity: which program did you draw the Landing panel with and what kind and size of font did you use for the text?
How about the engraving depth? Do you use a special set up in order to compensate for the thickness irregularities of the material?

Lots of questions. Hope you can shed some light onto it.
Thanks and best rgds

Peter

Hi Peter,
I use VCarvePro for all drawings now and this program also creates the toolpaths to drive Mach3 on the CNC. I don't think I've touched Autocad for a couple of years now, VCarve does it all in one. For best results in engraving, I usually mount a block of PVC on the table then "deck" it with a 20mm endmill ie: plane it flat. This makes the perfectly flat and true platform for mounting the aircraft panel, I stick them on with very thin double sided tape. I usually engrave to a depth of 0.07mm and this is usually enough to cut through the paint. I try not to remove too much plastic. Another good tip - I use mostly 6mm solid white acrylic for my panels rather than two pieces of 3mm and on the back of the panel I machine pocket cuts wherever there is text. This makes the backlighting a lot brighter. The font used is Futura Md BT, I can't remember the size off the top of my head but I will share my VCarve file if you want it, I can also convert it to .dxf if required.

Cheers Gwyn

PeterH
10-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Hi Peter,
I use VCarvePro for all drawings now and this program also creates the toolpaths to drive Mach3 on the CNC. I don't think I've touched Autocad for a couple of yea.
rs now, VCarve does it all in one. For best results in engraving, I usually mount a block of PVC on the table then "deck" it with a 20mm endmill ie: plane it flat. This makes the perfectly flat and true platform for mounting the aircraft panel, I stick them on with very thin double sided tape. I usually engrave to a depth of 0.07mm and this is usually enough to cut through the paint. I try not to remove too much plastic. Another good tip - I use mostly 6mm solid white acrylic for my panels rather than two pieces of 3mm and on the back of the panel I machine pocket cuts wherever there is text. This makes the backlighting a lot brighter. The font used is Futura Md BT, I can't remember the size off the top of my head but I will share my VCarve file if you want it, I can also convert it to .dxf if required.

Cheers Gwyn

Hi Gwyn,

thanks a lot for prompt reply. Would be great to get your file either in Vcarve format or dxf.
Pse mail it to: peter dot hein at onlinehome dot de

Thanks and best rgds

Peter

blueskydriver
10-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Hi Gwyn,

I'd also like to get the files in VCarvePro from you. Please send me a PM and I'll send my email address...

John