PDA

View Full Version : Help for diy radio modules

padus71
01-25-2010, 04:15 AM
Hi people!,

I would like to build my own radios for my GA simpit, using Opencockpits hardware and SIOC.

Could someone help me about:

- Since cts288 is not a dual, wich type of dual encoder for adjust frequency I have to buy?
- It will work with mastercard or I've to buy the encoder card...?
- Some tutorial or help pages in the forum or site?

thank you in advance,

Marco

pilotwannabe
01-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Hi Marco

I haven't built my cockpit yet, but I believe others are using ELMA E37 encoders available at Leo Bodnar's site http://www.leobodnar.com/. Hit the link for "BU0836X joystick controller". They're at the bottom of the page.

I'll point you in the direction of this forum entry: http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?18389-bendix-com-box-help-needed. I'm watching it (and others) closely as it's one element I intend to build myself.

I'm sure others will chip in with more help but this should give you a start. Good luck.

Steve1970
01-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi

pilotwannabe is absolutely right, I use the ELMA E37s to change the frequencies and hook them into a BU0836X interface instead of the open cockpits card.

For displaying the 7-segment digits I use the open cockpits display(x2) and master card.

This is the easiest method I found personally, and the card from Leo Bodnar is quite reasonable.

Hope that helps.

Steve.

padus71
01-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Thank you, Pilotwannable and Steve,
I visited Leo Bodnar's site and now I'm considering to buy his card with E37 encoders....
But, I already have an OC Mastercard, so I'll need:
- OC Display card with varius digits
- Leo Bodnar card with encoders..

What about software to use...? I mean... How to control the E37..(input) ? And SIOC wil be used only for output on display...?

Do you have some exmples about wiring and software..

Sorry but I am a bit confused...

Thank you
Marco

pilotwannabe
01-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi

pilotwannabe is absolutely right, I use the ELMA E37s to change the frequencies and hook them into a BU0836X interface instead of the open cockpits card.

For displaying the 7-segment digits I use the open cockpits display(x2) and master card.

This is the easiest method I found personally, and the card from Leo Bodnar is quite reasonable.

Steve.

Thanks Steve - and a fantastic looking box!

I've only seen yellow and white displays on Open Cockpits - I guess you use the white ones with a red filter? There seems to be a distinct lack of 7-segment displays which are narrow enough to accurately simulate the Bendix/King KX 165 which are through hole mounting. You can take your pick of the rainbow of SMD displays though. Maybe they'd cause less of a headache routing the board? 0.2 Inch is the smallest I've found.

Another thing I noticed is you'll only need one Open Cockpits display card for one complete radio unit even though there are 20 digits on the disply. The display card has 16 outputs (1 per LED digit) and the radio has 16 digits that change. The "1" at the start of each frequency block is always on so could be wired straight to +ve - via a suitable resistor, of course - or perhaps to the decimal point output, which is always on too.

Leo Bodnar's card can handle 16 encoders (or 8 dual encoders) but the OC encoders card can only do 2, so Leo's is better value. Also it's USB so that's always handy.

I won't give advice on SIOC or FSUIPC as that's one thing I haven't looked at yet. I'm concentrating on the look of the finished article rather than hooking it up just now. It'll soon be time to buy something - you can do TOO MUCH research :)

If anything I've said above is wrong, please correct me - I'm just a learner myself!
I think if you end up with something that looks anything like Steve's you'll be a happy bunny - I would. Great work Steve!

I hope these few tips help Marco. Keep us posted on your progress.

EDIT :Just remembered this: http://www.lekseecon.nl/howto.html
This is Nico Kaan's site for his 767 sim, but it is applicable nonetheless.
I'd seen it before but lost it. It's bookmarked now!

Jylhami
01-26-2010, 05:36 AM
The BU card is a joystick, so i guess you can set the frequency changes from the FS buttons assignments.
I use registerd FSUIPC to handle the encoder inputs.

No Longer Active
01-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Hi, you don't need dual encoders to change the frequency. I just used a normal encoder with a toggle, just flip the toggle to switch frequencies.....Dead simple and cheap.

Here is my radio stack:

http://alexpilot.50g.com/bendix%20king%20radio%20stack.jpg

I cant afford much so this serves the purpose well!

orson.octavius
04-02-2010, 01:36 AM
By far the simplest approach is to start with controllers such as those on x10.com for RF communication over the power line, or scavenge a cheap radio-controlled toy. Otherwise, you'll need to learn more, such as the FCC part 15 frequency and power limits for unlicensed operation and so on.

mpl330
04-02-2010, 05:45 AM
Leo Bodnar's card can handle 16 encoders (or 8 dual encoders) but the OC encoders card can only do 2.

Hi,

Not sure if it helps but I had this email from OC support when I asked about encoders and the mastercard:

"In a Master you can connect up to 32 encoders, and left 8 inputs free.
Each encoder needs 2 pins+gnd (each group on Master have 9 pins+GND = 4 encoders x 2pin = 8 + 1 pin left)"

Cheers
Mike