PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 182 Gauges

smendlik
01-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Does anybody know the diameters of the various gauges in a Cessna 182? I know the MIP varies from model to model and year to year but I'm guessing the sizes of the gauges are pretty standard. Also, is there anywhere that has some good head on photos of the gauges that I can use to help me draw them up in a graphics program for printing out?

Thanks,
Steve

No Longer Active
01-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Hi.

Standard large gauges are 79mm dia, and small gauges are 56mm dia as standard with any Cessna light GA aircraft that uses round analogue gauges. The radio stack is a standard 160mm wide as in any GA aircraft apart from Collins radio gear that is 80mm wide as they use half the rack.

Hope that helps, you should only need 2 sizes of round gauge in the 182 which is large and small (79mm + 56mm), I should know as I have built the 182 myself.

Good luck!

Alex

kermit
01-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi, just look at the simkits website
search for the download section, here you find several interesting downloads to make a MIP
greetz

smendlik
01-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks Alex. I figured you would be the one with the answer and almost PM'd you but thought someone else might find this info useful. Anywhere you can direct me to for a quality picture of the gauges that I can use as a visual reference?

No Longer Active
01-16-2010, 03:26 PM
mmmm......

Let me see........

I do indeed have all the gauge faceplates (excluding the needle) as images on my home pc, give me a day or so if you can wait that long and I will try and upload them to a site and give you the link....

Some are better quality than others but will do the job ok.....

Let me know...

Alex

smendlik
01-16-2010, 03:45 PM
No hurry Alex, thank you again for you help.

smendlik
01-16-2010, 03:46 PM
kermit - good suggestions, thank you.

Mike.Powell
01-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Does anybody know the diameters of the various gauges in a Cessna 182? I know the MIP varies from model to model and year to year but I'm guessing the sizes of the gauges are pretty standard. Also, is there anywhere that has some good head on photos of the gauges that I can use to help me draw them up in a graphics program for printing out?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Aircraft Spruce and Specialty sells instruments to the experimental aircraft community. Their catalog has a number of pictures. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/in/index.html

You can also find pictures and dimensions by going to the various instrument manufacturer's websites such as UMA Instruments. http://www.umainstruments.com/

Vendors on Ebay typically post pictures as well, so that's another source of images, especially of vintage instruments.

smendlik
01-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Steve,

Aircraft Spruce and Specialty sells instruments to the experimental aircraft community. Their catalog has a number of pictures. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/in/index.html

You can also find pictures and dimensions by going to the various instrument manufacturer's websites such as UMA Instruments. http://www.umainstruments.com/

Vendors on Ebay typically post pictures as well, so that's another source of images, especially of vintage instruments.

Great ideas Mike, thank you.

smendlik
01-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Taking Mike's suggestion I began looking around on Simkit's webpage. I found AutoCAD drawings that will help me out a lot. Once I realized that they were drawn in millimeters I even opened them up in the correct scale! Just in case someone else is interested:

http://www.simkits.com/drawings.php

AK Mongo
02-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Alex,

I am looking for gauge faces as well. May I have a copy of that file as well?

mmmm......

Let me see........

I do indeed have all the gauge faceplates (excluding the needle) as images on my home pc, give me a day or so if you can wait that long and I will try and upload them to a site and give you the link....

Some are better quality than others but will do the job ok.....

Let me know...

Alex

No Longer Active
02-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Hey mate,

No worries, I will upload the images for you no problems!

Give me a day or two and I will upload them and paste you the linkl

Kind Regards.

Alex

Alex,

I am looking for gauge faces as well. May I have a copy of that file as well?

iwik
10-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Hi Alex,
Do you stil have these images.If so could i have a copy please.I am trying to make a mockup of my MIP and they would be very helpful.Have had a look round the web but havent found what im looking for.
Thanks
Regards
Les

iwik
10-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Hi Alex,
Just in case you missed my thread.
Les

No Longer Active
10-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Hi, I did miss the thread, so sorry mate!

Will see what I can do, give me a day or 2, as I am not too sure what I have available!

Thanks!

Alex

Ronson2k9
10-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Hey.. Alex I'm paying it forward ... I know you're a busy guy as of late.

This is the Six Pack you sent me so I'm thinking this is what you're talking about.
http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp244/Ronson2k3/6pack1.jpg

If you're doing an amphibious GA I have the Wipline gear control - that fits into a gauge hole/mount?

Depending on what equipment you want to install in your FSX? You can find gauges for that from various sources. One of the best ways is to do screen cap of your FSX cockpit after you have zoomed up in to it. I think the FSX command is (shift + backspace).

Get pretty close and take a few screenshots (ctrl + Alt + PrnScn) <= just above your page controls in the middle of your keyboard.

In Virtual Cockpit View (Default Keyboard Commands)

Eyepoint (Move Back) 'Zoom Down' => [CTRL] + [ENTER]
Eyepoint (Move Forward) 'Zoom Up' => [CTRL] + [BACKSPACE]
Eyepoint (Move Up) => [SHIFT] + [ENTER]
Eyepoint (Move Down) => [SHIFT] + [BACKSPACE]
Eyepoint (Move Left) => [CTRL] + [SHIFT] + [BACKSPACE]
Eyepoint (Move Right) => [CTRL] + [SHIFT] + [ENTER]
Eyepoint (RESET) => [CTRL] + [SPACE]

Then go into your photo editor and resize to the size you want and cut out the other bits. Then save. Remember you can always size down but sizing up makes it more pixelated. That's why it's best to start out with a large image first.

Cheers.
Ron

No Longer Active
10-05-2010, 05:13 AM
Brilliant Ron,

I remember the days trying to photoshop the needles out, remove the aeroplane and ball from the turn and slip etc, was good fun back then. It is on my pc somewhere, Just that I have 2 Hard-drives full of junk and forget what I rename the files etc. I am pretty certain I still have this somewhere.....but you got there first.....top man....

Alex

iwik
10-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi Ron & Alex,
Thanks for the reply and great tips. I did manage to find some but your imfo was and is going to be very helpful.
Best Regards
Les