PDA

View Full Version : Best 8in Screen for GPS and setup

ibennett
12-29-2009, 05:22 AM
Hi,

I am planning to build a GPS with it seperate screen.

I have found many 8in VGA LCD screen on internet for less than 200USD but would like to have someones feed back one quality and how to set it up.

My cockpit will be:
1 main big screen for outside view
1 19'' Screen for intruments
+
1 8in (or 6 or 7in) VGA screen for the GPS

So my questions are:
- Will my one computer be able to run the 3 screens, wath do I need to have it running good, is my only option a matrox tripple head2GO?
- Is someone using a small VGA screen and could you recommend me a good one to buy.

Thanks

Jylhami
12-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Look for those Samsung 7" USB monitors, that's a good value for money and don't drop the FPS's.

Steve1970
12-30-2009, 06:25 AM
8" screen is quite big for a GPS

I used a 5.7" kit from EARTH LCD (google it)

The kit contains everything required and is VGA.

I think that similar kits could be available from Farnells, you can search and filter according to your requirements on their site.

BTW I got stung in buying from the states, the duty and shipping costs killed me!

Steve

ibennett
12-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Hi,

Yes indeed after doing some research I also found that a 7 or 8'' would be to big.

I am looking for a 4 to 6''.

I just found the 5.7'' you advice me, thanks

Could you give me the exact screen dimensions H and L.

And is the result good, do you get a nie clear image

Thanks again

Steve1970
12-31-2009, 06:06 AM
Hi,

The picture quality is fantastic, more than good enough for a GPS. I have actually had a play and put a film on the display and the quality was great.

As for the screen size, please check the link below to my google documents.

The screen can be easily removed from the Aluminium backplate. I used this in my Garmin530 unit see here http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18154

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B_bT-MUTZ3P2YTM5M2E5YmQtMTFhNi00YmJjLWEwOWQtYmM1NmI1MzFjODVi&hl=en_GB

Regards
Steve.