PDA

View Full Version : PM and active sky

slider
12-11-2009, 04:23 AM
I again,

Did someone try ACTIVE SKY with Project Magenta ?

Some minutes after the take off, when Active Sky load the again the weather, the aircraft speed going to 0.....

I don't understand why ...

Did someone have the same issue ?

Peter Nielsen
12-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Active Sky or any other weather software interacts with FS9 or FSX and not with Project Magenta as such.

The "zero" speed can and does happen at times when the WX changes drastically , ie wind direction or speed there are settings in both Active SKy and FSUIPC to suppress this happening.

What you need to bear in mind is that although your displays show a "zero" speed you are actually still moving and normally after about 60 or 90 seconds the situation resets it self and you are back in normal mode.

yes its annoying but not really a problem as such..

Rgds
Peter

slider
12-11-2009, 07:36 AM
It doesn't work like this on my computer. The speed goes to 0, and after some minutes, the airplane goes down :D
Even after 10 minutes, the speed is steel at 0.

The only things I found, is to shut off the mcp, and everything go back...

Peter Nielsen
12-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Does the MCP indicated airspeed also go to "0"??

This is weird, ive never had this problem..
Peter

It doesn't work like this on my computer. The speed goes to 0, and after some minutes, the airplane goes down :D
Even after 10 minutes, the speed is steel at 0.

The only things I found, is to shut off the mcp, and everything go back...

ChrisKLAS
12-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Are you flying in icing conditions (or near them) without all your anti-ice systems turned on? This can lead to very erratic airspeed indications (sudden drops to zero do happen) in FS due to the rudimentary way the simulation handles icing and its effects.

slider
12-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Does the MCP indicated airspeed also go to "0"??

No, the MCP indicate the correct speed

Are you flying in icing conditions (or near them) without all your anti-ice systems turned on? This can lead to very erratic airspeed indications (sudden drops to zero do happen) in FS due to the rudimentary way the simulation handles icing and its effects.

I use the real weather, and in, that true, I never try to turn on the anti-ice system (I don't use the overhead now). I will try this week end !

Thanks for your ideas.

Peter Nielsen
12-11-2009, 12:50 PM
And PITOT HEAT.... this can also be the root of the problem..

Good luck,
Peter

No, the MCP indicate the correct speed

I use the real weather, and in, that true, I never try to turn on the anti-ice system (I don't use the overhead now). I will try this week end !

Thanks for your ideas.

Jan Pemöller
12-13-2009, 06:09 AM
Hi,

yes you need to put on Anti Ice (Wing),
actually this is not as in real, nut the pitot heats funktion is not correct implemented in FS.

I figured out that Anti Ice Wing is the only button/function which prevents the pitot heat for icing, (and loosing the speed indication)

Best regards
Jan

Peter Dowson
12-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Did someone try ACTIVE SKY with Project Magenta ?
I've always used Active Sky with PM.

Some minutes after the take off, when Active Sky load the again the weather, the aircraft speed going to 0.....
Sounds like you forgot to switch on the Pitot Heat ("probe heat" on a Boeing airliner) and are getting the dynamic pressure dropping to zero because of icing.

Pete

slider
12-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for all your answers.

That's true, I never use this "pitot heat" or "probe heat".
How does it work ? I mean, do I need to use Project Magenta Overhead Panel ?
How can I switch it to on ?

Peter Dowson
12-15-2009, 12:25 PM
That's true, I never use this "pitot heat" or "probe heat".
How does it work ? I mean, do I need to use Project Magenta Overhead Panel ?
How can I switch it to on ?

If you use pmSystems, yes, you can switch it on there -- for example, for the 737, there are two (Left and Right) "probe heat" switches near the top of the second column from the right, just below the window heat switches.

For FS generally there's a key assigned already -- I don't remember which, look it up in the lists in FS. You can also assign it to a hardware switch or button.

Pete

Hans Krohn
12-30-2009, 04:39 PM
I can definitely confirm the problem with speed suddenly dropping to zero is related to pitot heat not being switched on!

If you are on autopilot and autothrottle while it happens, the first thing to do is to switch autothrottle off, or else you will quickly find your plane breaking up because of overspeed! Happened to me many times... :cool:

Hans

slider
12-31-2009, 04:44 AM
Thanks a lot.

I'm currently building my own 737 cockpit. Unfortunatly, I don't have any hardware for the overhead device.

I have to make some switch for the pitot function...

Jan737
01-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks a lot.

I'm currently building my own 737 cockpit. Unfortunatly, I don't have any hardware for the overhead device.

I have to make some switch for the pitot function...

Hi,

Try SHIFT-H on your keyboard, that will do the trick.

Best regards

Jan Geurtsen

Jan Pemöller
01-02-2010, 02:28 PM
If you use pmSystems, yes, you can switch it on there -- for example, for the 737, there are two (Left and Right) "probe heat" switches near the top of the second column from the right, just below the window heat switches.

For FS generally there's a key assigned already -- I don't remember which, look it up in the lists in FS. You can also assign it to a hardware switch or button.

Pete

Hi Peter,
thats true, but the probe heat switches inside PM have no functions to FS!
In FS you need to switch on "shift H, with PM the switch WING-ANTI ICE does the same -> shift-H!
Or do you have other results in your system?
Best regards
Jan

Peter Dowson
01-02-2010, 08:54 PM
In FS you need to switch on "shift H, with PM the switch WING-ANTI ICE does the same -> shift-H!
Or do you have other results in your system?

Sounds like you have some changed or personalised pmSystems logic, at least if you refer to the 737. In sysvar.txt, where the pmSystems variables are defined, you have this line:

029C 1 fsPitot

Offset 029C is the pitot heat. In the 737 LGC file (I fly 737) you will find this line:

fsPitot = ProbeHeat or ProbeHeatR

and the ProbeHeat switches are those on the overhead marked so.

The wing anti-ice is offset 337D, reference in sysvar.txt as:

337D 1 DeIceing

but this is not actually referenced in the default 737 logic. I don't think it actually does much if anything in FS in any case. However, in my logic i do link the switch up to the FS variable.

Regards

Pete

Jan Pemöller
01-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Thanks Peter ... I will check it later!

Jan Pemöller
01-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Hi pete,

I have absolutly the same configuration as yours.
But I use the PMDG 737 ...
And when in clouds with ice and Pitot Heat ON the speed indication drops down ... when I then turn on wing anti ice, after a few seconds speed indication comes back.

Can someone test this for me please:

all heats OFF
fly in clouds with rain and minus degres C
speed indication will not display anymore
then first turn on PITOT Heat
nothing should change (in real it should)
then turn on Wing Anti Ice
everything will come normal

Thanks
Jan

Peter Dowson
01-03-2010, 11:07 AM
I have absolutly the same configuration as yours.
But I use the PMDG 737 ...

I use the PMDG 737 model and CFG file, but not the gauges. if you are using the PMDG gauges and their logic, then the pmSystems logic goes out of the window as the PMDG logic is dealling with its own subsystems. I really don't know how PMDG wired their probe heat up, but it evidently must be different from FS default methods.

As I said, in my system the Wing Anti-Ice operates the FS wing anti-ice which really does nothing at all as far as I've ever been able to detect -- maybe it affects the lift capability of the wings, as it should, but measuring that is not easy.

But probe heat is absolutely essential and is normally switched on as soon as your engines are running, or even before, and only switched off on shut down.

Regards
Pete

Jan Pemöller
01-03-2010, 12:24 PM
I also just use the PMDG model without any gauges!
And of course I know about the pitot heat ;-)
Well ... I will try the FS model, to see any difference ... last chance!
Thanks
Jan