PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a DPDT, Center ON switch

capetonian
12-03-2009, 03:00 PM
I ordered some DPDT Center-ON switched with the idea that I could have three unique instances of ON/ON/ON with such a switch. The idea was to use them for switches like the Engine Start Switch and IRS Switches where you have something like LEFT/BOTH/ON.

The Switches have 6 poles, but I have honestly no idea how to wire them, a few web tutorials have me convinced that I ordered the wrong kind of switch.

How have you guys dealt with this or how should I wire a switch to do the above?

twisted8
12-03-2009, 04:20 PM
What hardware are you using? are you sure it's ON/ON/ON and not ON/OFF/ON?
Ive done exactly that but with a ON/OFF/ON switch

1 end to input 1, center is ground, 3rd point goes to input 2.
I use open cockpits hardware and program with SOIC. I have Option 1, Option 2 and if the switch is off then select option 3.

Basically is all in the coding not in the wiring for what you want to do. 2 inputs with 3 functions.

capetonian
12-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Hi,

I too have OC cards.

I am positive that they are ON/ON/ON switches, ...
But I am not sure that I understand what you mean, imaginf if your switch is illustrated by the following numbers being the terminals:

(1) (2) (3)

(4) (5) (6)

How have you wired the switch?

capetonian
12-03-2009, 04:46 PM
.. just to add to my frustrations, .. I am nowhere near SIOC programming yet, ..

But I can imagine that I could use a software trick to bypass my mechanical problem,

Lets say I set a variable to indicate both starters are on:

Start=0

and then in the SIOC code use two new variables with both the left and right ON / ON that way I could 'tell' the Sim that by default the starters are both on.

Or Do I honestly have absolutly no idea what I am talking about?

twisted8
12-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Edit: I think you'd be better off with a rotary switch. The benefit of an ON/OFF/ON switch is that you can have 3 controls with 2 inputs diagrammatically. the ON/ON/ON switch seems complex to wire and offers a very small benefit.

Since it's really 3 separate inputs it would be easier to code. one variable for each input as if it was 3 independent switches.

I believe you would set all the variables to 0 first.
Then inside each input {} set your selected value to 1 and the rest to 0

Var 0228, name opt1, Value 0

Var 0229, name opt2, Value 0

Var 0230, name opt3, Value 0

Var 1222, name op1selected, Link IOCARD_SW, Input 26, Type I
{
&opt1= 1
&opt2 = 0
&opt3 = 0
}

Var 1223, name op2selected, Link IOCARD_SW, Input 27, Type I
{
&opt1= 0
&opt2 = 1
&opt3 = 0
}

Var 1224, name op3selected, Link IOCARD_SW, Input 28, Type I
{
&opt1= 0
&opt2 = 0
&opt3 = 1
}

You might not even need all this and just link the 3 inputs directly since your switch kind of works the same as this:
http://www.lekseecon.nl/howto.html#rotary_switch