PDA

View Full Version : bendix com box - help needed

Steve1970
12-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Hi,

I am looking for some general advice on building a com box like this

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?p=89805#poststop

I am okay on the buttons and the encoders talking via FSUIPC to FSX and also with PCB design and physically building a unit, but would not know where to start with the display and how to get the right frequency to show on the LEDs.

Any pointers and general advice would be greatly appreciated as I am slightly hooked on this cockpit building!

Thanks very much.

Steve.

Jylhami
12-03-2009, 03:07 AM
Hi Steve,

I am using opencockpits cards and SIOC code to show the digits.
It's a lot of hassle and i will start to design and build an USB interface card by myself.

Steve1970
12-03-2009, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the info, I will check out their website.
Steve.

AK Mongo
12-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi Steve,

I am using opencockpits cards and SIOC code to show the digits.
It's a lot of hassle and i will start to design and build an USB interface card by myself.

It seems that a lot of people are working on homebuilt radio stacks(or at least dreaming about them). I think there would be some interest in a USB board which one could easily interface to 7 segment displays, with a rudimentary driver.

For example:
Digits 1-6 assignable to com 1,
7-12 com 1 standby etc.

Are there any vendors doing this?

Building and/or coding something like this is well beyond my ability.

Any electronic super geniuses out there are free to steal this idea, and I will be first in line to buy one

Jylhami
12-04-2009, 02:04 AM
The only cards so far is the Opencockpits Displays II card.
You also need a mastercard and if you want to connect to USB you'll need USBExpansioncard. And for example for NAV/COM you will need 2 pcs of Displays II cards. You'll have then a lot of inputs and outputs as well, but it is very compex and needs good skills in SIOC programming to make it all work. There are o lot of SIOC examples how to do things, but all the hardware is usually different and modifications must be made.

Don't get me wrong, the SIOC is a very powerfull way to program all the things you'll ever need in your sim.

My goal is to make a card that you can plug to USB and start flying.

Steve1970
12-07-2009, 05:50 PM
The only cards so far is the Opencockpits Displays II card.
You also need a mastercard and if you want to connect to USB you'll need USBExpansioncard. And for example for NAV/COM you will need 2 pcs of Displays II cards. You'll have then a lot of inputs and outputs as well, but it is very compex and needs good skills in SIOC programming to make it all work. There are o lot of SIOC examples how to do things, but all the hardware is usually different and modifications must be made.

Don't get me wrong, the SIOC is a very powerfull way to program all the things you'll ever need in your sim.

My goal is to make a card that you can plug to USB and start flying.

I have been doing some internet searching around and I belkieve it is very complex, the thing is that the SIOC manual is very poorly translated to English. Where do you start!

Jylhami
12-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi Steve,

I know, been there.
But when you get the hold of it, you learn pretty easily.
I was going to write a tutorial "SIOC for Dummies" (as me) but my time is very limited, so i haven't got time for it.

First you have to get the cards to work with FS, this is fairly simple: just make the .ini files correct.

Next phase is learning the SIOC language, for it there are a lot of examples, but still you need to focus on your own system.

What i did, was that i installed FS2002 and all the Opencockpit software to an old laptop and started with a Gear switch :)

Simple SIOC code to get the gearswitch to work:

Var 0018, name FS_gearsw, Link FSUIPC_OUT, Offset $0BE8, Length 4 // Lg position, 0=up, 16383=dwn

Var 0209, name Gear_SW, Link IOCARD_SW, Input 9 // Gear_sw
{
&FS_gearsw = &Gear_SW * 16383
}

What happens here is:
Var 0018 is defined as write output to FS a gearswitch position.
Var 0209 is defined as input from OC Mastercard

Each time the switch is moved the "program" between brackets is run.
So when the switch is turned ON, it will become logical "1" for the SIOC, then the calculation is made: 1 * 16383 = 16383 and this value will be sent to FS and the little switch on 2D instrument panel goes Down position !! Magic :-)

This is the simple version, imagine you can program all the functions you want. For example you can wire an alarm horn and make it audiable if you pull back the throttle to idle, without having gear down.
Also for the avoinics you can program, that you have to have both masterswitch on AND avionics switch ON for them to light up etc...

No Longer Active
12-08-2009, 03:20 PM
SIOC is the ultimate in programming for me, I found it very hard and complex, but indeed it does get easier. SIOC should be your second language especially if your into FS and serious cockpit building like many of us. I get lost all the time in SIOC, if I do, I just erase and start again....and ask a million questions on here...

We are all here to help!

Alex

Steve1970
12-09-2009, 03:22 AM
Thanks gents, I ordered the master card kit yesterday and a display card, I read one or two tutorials and I guessed as much, you've just got to set up a couple of switches and have a play. Will have countless questions though I'm sure.

Thanks
Steve

Steve1970
12-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Well I have finally finished soldering the master card and have the display2 card, just need to get a parallel port cable and start testing. I have almost finished the pcb design and as long as everything tests out okay I will have the pcb made after Christmas.

Will post design pics soon.

Steve.

Jylhami
12-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Steve,

If you need to have only 1 or 2 pcb:s maybe i can made them to you.
If you need 2-sided, then you have to solder trough holes by yourself.

Other than that i can manage the cut-out holes and outlins for you...

Steve1970
12-22-2009, 11:22 AM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_8q107uANuIQ/SzDjJQ2_ftI/AAAAAAAAA-Q/he0eqsN0eIg/s800/pcb.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_8q107uANuIQ/SzDmaf8PVcI/AAAAAAAAA-U/UBx5J3iPeDs/s800/kx165aISO.jpg

Jylhami

Thanks for the offer, as you can see the PCB layout is quite busy due to the fact that I have 20x 7-Segment LEDs for COM/NAV and STBYs

I haven't finished routing the encoders yet either. Will definately need to be double sided.

Thanks

Steve

Jylhami
12-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Hmm,

Spam bot ?

Edit:deleted by moderators...

Steve1970
12-29-2009, 04:39 AM
Hmm,

Spam bot ?

Edit:deleted by moderators...

? Did I miss something ?

Jylhami
12-29-2009, 04:49 AM
Yes, if you did't see that post just before mine.

An quote from your post with nothing more than some links to suspicious loan offering...

Seems that the moderatos have take it away ;)

By the way what are the measures for your NAV/COM outline ?
Seems that you have found really small 7-segmets to use if the panel width is 160mm ?

Steve1970
01-03-2010, 05:12 AM
Hi

The faceplate will measure about 160mm wide, but the pcb is wider to accommodate the terminal blocks to take the wiring away. The PCB will not be visible as it will sit behind the MIP.

Thats my plan anyway.

The 7-segment LEDs are standard ones from Opencockpits online shop.

I now have figured out the SIOC coding to display all the frequencies and done some further testing. I will need 2 display cards and a card from Leo Bodnar.

I will use Leo's card for mapping the encoders and the push buttons as the Opencockpits master card does not support the Elma E37s.

Steve.

Steve1970
01-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Hi
Just an update, almost complete .....

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_8q107uANuIQ/S1CpD53v8qI/AAAAAAAABEU/0H8OX_ewKhY/s800/IMG_1178.JPG

RojanTrojan
01-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Looking really good Steve.

Cheers

Rhydian

pilotwannabe
01-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Any update on the radio project Steve? It's looking good in your shots so far.
Any plans for publishing schematics/layouts?
Best wishes

Kerbo
02-01-2010, 05:24 PM
That looks great!

Steve1970
02-17-2010, 05:58 AM
Any update on the radio project Steve? It's looking good in your shots so far.
Any plans for publishing schematics/layouts?
Best wishes

Hi,

The radio panel is almost finished. I had a hellish time de-soldering a 7-segment LED which I put in upside down, duhhh.

I damaged the PCB in rectifying the problem and so will have to bridge accross the LED with wires to complete the circuit.

Having tested it last night, this should work fine. Other than that I am just wating for some terminal connectors from Farnells on back order, then its wiring and programming with SIOC which hopefully won't take too long.

I plan to release a PDF tutorial with pictures and resource information once it is complete.

Regards,
Steve.

pilotwannabe
02-17-2010, 11:42 AM
I plan to release a PDF tutorial with pictures and resource information once it is complete.

Excellent news Steve. Sorry to hear about the 7-Segment. I think we've all soldered something in the wrong way at one time or another. At least you noticed before you killed it.

I look forward to drooling over the PDF like I have with the Garsim PDF :)

I REALLY need to get something going, but I keep changing my mind about what is most important. Perhaps a switch panel for lighting and power - something simple to start.

How do you decide which project to tackle next? Thought about the Garmin G1000 ? ;)

Your work is truly inspiring. And your MIP... what can I say? Keep up the great work Steve. It is very much appreciated.

Some day all pits will be made this way :)

Ronson2k9
02-17-2010, 07:13 PM
I agree great news. With such great building articles I dare say some the guys that fly the big iron might be a bit jealous hehe.. I tracked down a POH for the Cessna 206 circa (1985) not to old and not to new. I'm going to keep looking for one from the 90's non G1000 though. The 172 your building and my 206 have nearly the same cockpit layout. I would suggest for a next project the other direction though Gamin 430. It would make an excellent back up to the 530. Can't wait to read your construction article on this beauty though..

Steve1970
03-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi,

I've just ordered my 2nd display card, and should finish this box in a couple of weeks, so far It seems to work very well. I'll produce a short tutorial with all the info and a youtube video of the finished unit shortly after.

Thanks for all the support from you guys in pushing me in the right direction with this one.

After this is complete, I plan to make the following -
Audio panel KMA28
ADF KR87 TSO
XPDR KT70 TSO
AP KAP 140
DME KN 62A

Then I can say that my project is complete.

Hmmm 737 next??
Steve.

Kerbo
03-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Steve,
I finally noticed that you have "volume control" encoders on the radio. Are you planning to interface that to the sim? If so, what will they do? Great work on this unit, I can't wait to see the finished product.

Steve1970
03-03-2010, 04:16 AM
I only planned to use them to switch the unit on/off, they are encoders.
Not sure that there is an offset for volume control with FSUIPC / FSX

Regards,
Steve.

orson.octavius
04-02-2010, 01:39 AM
AM frequency/concept and something more along the lines of morse code to keep it simple: the transmitter puts out 1 click and the receiver connects one circuit, 2 clicks and a different circuit, etc.