PDA

View Full Version : TH2G + LCD Televisions

Skylane
11-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Hi all Matrox users....

I am planning on 3 32" LCD TV's for my cockpit in combination with TH2G.
The LCD TV's will most probably be LG 32LF2500 full HD.
Does anyone have any experience with TH2G in combination with TH2G digital edition ??

PDT 200
11-27-2009, 03:21 PM
As long as they have an input for computer monitors you should be fine. I used an ILO 26" for a long time as a computer monitor. Check the manuals for their resolution and set it accordingly in display options. Set video input to computer on the TV's.
Regards,
Brian

Skylane
11-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Thank you for your quick replay,
I have not bought the TV's yet.... waiting for a good sale :)
The TV's I have in mind do have HDMI input, so an adapter should be used from DVI to HDMI. The resolution for most all TV's I have looked at are 1920 x 1080 pixels. Matrox uses 1680 x 1050 !!??
Has anyone got any experience about such a setup ??
I can not (yet) find specifics on any LCD TV according to resolution modes different than TV-mode.

N242AM
11-27-2009, 05:28 PM
I would be interested in knowing how the HD televisions work out for you.

Have you asked Matrox if the HD televisions would be compatible with their TH2G?

iwik
11-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi Skylane
Please readup on the following thread.I think Matrox and Nvidia are not quite on the the same wavelength with Win7 and 64bit.It seems some have luck with the latest drivers but this is dependant on Motherboard Chipset.Ive been trying to get my Setup Ex58 Chipset,Win7 64 bit 9800gtx+ Digital TH2GO
with quite unsatisfactory performance.Firstly the lates Matrox GXM software
2.06(win7) will not allow max resolution with any drivers.Some have been able to hack 182.50 Vista 64bit drivers to work.As i said above,some motherbds(usually not I7 ones) will work.Just read all the threads on
the widescreen gaming forum before you buy all your gear.Ive just abandoned Win 7 64bit on my system and gone back to Xp 32bit.
Will wait another 6mths till Matrox and Nvidia have sorted out their differences.I did see on a thread that Matrox are wanting access to Nvidia driver to sort out the issue.
Here is one thread

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17302

Hope this helps.
Les

BHawthorne
11-28-2009, 07:21 AM
With how nVidia and Matrox are at the moment it might merit looking at the new 5000-series EyeFinity cards vs. TH2G. I'm not fan of ATI drivers, but EyeFinity is a nice option for built in triple-screen capability into all ATI 5000-series cards.

Skylane
11-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Oke... here's a more or less frustrated update to the issue.

I spend last day trying to get some hardware stuf together and trial.
The results have been revealing... not that I the like revelation in any way.

I spend quite some time trying to get 3 wide screen LCD displays to work on highest resolution with the Matrox TH2G-digital.

Very soon I got to the conclusion that one of my displays didn't meet the required specs. So I drove out and bought an aditional Philips Brilliance 220CW monitor that would be assured to meet DVI, 1680x1050 pix 16:9 specs. (great display BTW !!!! Just Euro 119,- on sale right now... where I live)

Hooked up the hardware once more... checked everything twice... no go !!

My graphics card is a Palit 9800GTX+ so I ran the Vista64 driver from the original driver CD. It took quite a while for the new (old) driver to set in Win7_64 !!! 'bout 15 minutes !!
I ran the (latest) Win7 software for the Matrox TH2G_digital and now it works.

**** Must be noted****
The OS (Win7_64 home premium) recognises the Matrox display driver at 5040 x 1050 pix... so does the NVIDIA display software.
But as one of my displays in trial (Belinea 2225 SW1) has no DVI input and is (as only one in the row) connected via an in line DVI to VGA adapter is not recognised by FSX as 1680x1050 !!! The total horizontal resolution therefore only meets 4800 pix. (quite odd in my opinion)

The problem is defenitely a driver problem, so must be able to be solved in the near future soon.

A bit frustrating on my side, I meight have overvalued the TH2G... I had hoped it had "widened my view" ... it has not, it only stretches the 'front view'. My fault !!!
If Matrox was that good, there would not be any need for WideView :-?

Keep you posted whenever I find something interesting to the subject,
Kind regards and thanks for the replays, Nico

CraigF
01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Silly question but.. if you are using TV's for your outside view, and presumably they will be fit into the window sections of your cockpit... Do/Will you still get the feeling of looking "outside" of the cockpit? (depth??)

sacad
01-23-2010, 08:15 AM
come on dude you'll spend 1.5 thousand doller on a LCD ! go buy to projectors and get your self a 180 degrees of view isnt that better ?
regards ,,sam

CraigF
01-23-2010, 02:42 PM
come on dude you'll spend 1.5 thousand doller on a LCD ! go buy to projectors and get your self a 180 degrees of view isnt that better ?
regards ,,sam

I agree with the general idea here, but how can you possibly get 180 degrees with 2 projectors? (I'd love to know how that is possible!)

Skylane
01-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Here's an update on my Generic Cessna Pit project.
I thought everyone had seen my progress at "my cockpit update".

I have bought 3 LG 37LH3000 TV's for outside view. The LH3000 are Full HD with a very high dynamic contrast ratio.
Another advantage is the very good enery saving mode of the LG's.... That has proven handy for the temperature is rapidely rising in the room my cockpit is in.

I have not yet had time to take the screens out of their frames. I will have to weld a support frame to hold the screens to minimise the disadvantage of the besels.

All is working fine, the LG's are performing great at 1680 x 1050 pix each..... However the TH2G is a real frame killer.
On a single display my system performs about 48 fps full silders and add on's. 3 TV's on the TH2G diminisch the fps to 16-22, I even have to dercease sliders in the control panel.
The TH2G will give an aprox 100 - 105 degree view.

Reasons not to buy projectors;
* Affordable projectors never perform better tha 1024 x 768 pix
* Projectors need much more space than TV screens
* Temp issues for projectors produce a lot more heat than LCD screens
* Limited life of the very expensive projectors light source

Here's some pics.....

http://www.revaservice.nl/Pics/Cockpit_build_18s.jpg

http://www.revaservice.nl/Pics/Cockpit_build_19s.jpg

http://www.revaservice.nl/Pics/Cockpit_build_14s.jpg

Kind regards, Nico