PDA

View Full Version : QNH from FS versus QNH from PMGetWeather

npbosch
11-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Hello to all

FS9 downloads the weather from the internet (no addonwheatherprograms).
In FS I can not see at the wheater page the present qnh. But I can turn the baro knob to field elevation and read the QNH from the PFD.
Now I use ACARS on the CDU to get the METAR from my departing aerodrome (EHAM in most cases). When I check the metar with the REAL online metars, the real METAR and the pmgetweather metar are exact the same.

The PMGetweather and the FS QNH can be very different. When departing it is not a big problem, but at arival it is. Because when flying I am not able to measure my QNH.

Do others also noticed this?
Is the online FS weather that bad? What wheater addons would be available to see the real present weather in FS?

Peter Dowson
11-19-2009, 11:06 AM
The PMGetweather and the FS QNH can be very different.
Is the online FS weather that bad?

FS gets its weather from a different place, one which is supposedly maintained jointly by Jeppesen and Microsoft. But it often seems to be well behind, simply not getting updated as often as those sites which are used by other weather programs like pmGetWeather, VRoute, ItsYourPlane and ActiveSky. It also seems to be often missing many weather stations which others get, making those even more likely to be out of date or just plain wrong.

What wheater addons would be available to see the real present weather in FS?

I'd recommend Active Sky. ASA is the latest and runs on FS9 and FSX.

Regards

Pete