PDA

View Full Version : sneak preview: ICS (Integrated Cockpit Systems)

dnoize
11-12-2009, 03:31 PM
FSweekend was the launch weekend for our new interface system ICS (Integrated Cockpit Systems).

ICS will be available within a few weeks when the final price settings will be determined.

This is a small preview because i received so many questions about ICS after the fsweekend.

ICS has been designed by CPflight and FLYengravity under close cooperation.
Claudio and Paolo did an excellent job on the electronics and the firmware.

First brainstorm sessions started at last years FSweekend and this years FSweekend it was ready for display.

ICS is a interface system that minimizes the need for interfacing, wiring, configuring, etc.

It will be sold with completely build plug and play systems in various configurations for both the desktop and the pro stand.

All switches, rotaries, encoders, pots, annunciator leds, etc are mounted on a pcb.

ICS is compatible with:
* Project Magenta
* flightdecksoftware
* PMDG 737 (via flightsimlabs driver)

In the PRO version even the lower subpanels are interfaced, enabling the lower subpanel functions when the software provides this.

For example, with project magenta the brightness of the screens can be dimmed software wise with the respective pots on the captains and first officers lower subpanels.

In a later stage this will also be available with Flightdecksoftware.

Project Magenta is allready fully compatible and flightdecksoftware is being finetuned at the moment.

On the FSweekend we had 2 setups running on ICS.

We had our full setup running project magenta and we had a desktop setup running Flightdecksoftware at Barts stand.

some pictures:

A fully interfaced desktop system.
Everything is interfaced here, panels are backlit, only thing missing are captains and first offcers TFT's. Upper eicas is in place.

Retail systems will be fully interfaced with all tft's.

http://members.casema.nl/pago/ics1.jpg

close up of the interface master board. This board daisy chains to our mcp's or the blackbox.

http://members.casema.nl/pago/ics2.jpg

Close up of the center panel pcb and the F/O DU/AFDS pcb.

All rotaries, encoders and switches are on the pcb. The dual concentric knobs for the speed ref and n1 setting are powdercoated metal. The outer is a switch, the inner an encoder.

The square center part is a break out panel with the pcb's for the master caution switches and 2 led pcb's for 2 isolated annunciators on the mip.

On the DU pcb you see the afds switches with dual color leds and the rotary switch for the DU selectors (work in both project magenta and flightdecksoftware)

http://members.casema.nl/pago/ics3.jpg

Top view of the pcb's with the sixpack pcb's that fit our aluminium sixpacks.

http://members.casema.nl/pago/ics4.jpg

Below the PCB's for the lower subpanel. Still as a whole in the break out frame. The led strips can be used for the glare wings and mcp bay flood light. A few ledstrips have allready been taken out from this panel.

Brightness of the floodlight can be adjusted with the pots on the lower subpanel.

Brightnes of the captains panels, first officers panels, glarewing flood, background flood can be adjusted independently of eachother with the pots on the lower subpanels, just as in the real aircraft. All switches, pots, etc in the lower subpanels are functional (depending on the software used)

The small black 2 pin female connectors are for the lightplates. The pcb's mount behind the aluminum backpanels, the lightplates mount on top of the aluminium backpanels. Lightplates have a 2 pin header that sticks into this small 2 pin female connector. So no wiring needs to be done for the internally backlit lightplates. Brightness adjustment is being taken care of by ICS as mentioned above.

This is a 'no wiring' interfacing solution (except for some isolated switches like the nose wheel steering switch)

http://members.casema.nl/pago/ics5.jpg

A close up shot from the front with ICS installed.

http://members.casema.nl/pago/ics6.jpg

ICS will also be available for a fully plug and play overhead early next year.

and last but not least: Our full setup on FSweekend with ICS running:

http://members.casema.nl/pago/2009avio1.jpg.jpg

http://members.casema.nl/pago/2009avio2.jpg.jpg

fly_ebos
11-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Looks absolutely awesome Stef!

I'm definitely going down this road, in combination with a single seat trainer ;)

regards
Thomas

Philb737
11-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Wow, two thumbs up !!! A bit too late for me, most of my wiring is completed:(. Maybe for the next sim :D
A big thank you to Stef and Flyengravity and CPFlight team!!!!

CrashEd
11-13-2009, 04:12 AM
Stef, what can I say? You guys have surpassed yourselves once again :shock: :D:D

Well done FE and CPFlight!!

This is perfect timing for my build as well ;) I'll definitely be going down the ICS route. Awesome! :mrgreen:

This is also great news:

ICS will also be available for a fully plug and play overhead early next year.

Very exciting news all round!

Sean Nixon
11-13-2009, 04:20 AM
I'll definitely be going down the ICS route.

LOL! Without knowing the price!

BTW, that was tongue in cheek, ICS looks an excellent solution. I'll be watching closely for the formal release myself.

JWS
11-13-2009, 07:15 AM
Oh yes .... they did it again (I'm going to hate you guys for this;)).

Allas, my set up will have to be old fashioned wiring, but for the new starters great material.

Chapeau to FE en CPF.

JWS

CrashEd
11-13-2009, 08:53 AM
LOL! Without knowing the price!

BTW, that was tongue in cheek, ICS looks an excellent solution. I'll be watching closely for the formal release myself.

To be honest, I don't really care how much! Me wants some! 8-)

(Disclaimer to Stef: That doesn't give you the right to charge the earth for them ;) )

Joe Cygan
11-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Stef this is definitely some break through technology. Every time I think I have seen everything you folks come a long and surprise me. Congratulations on your incredible product!

vybhav
11-15-2009, 02:06 AM
Wow....really cool. Congrats guys.

I am expecting the delivery of my Flyengravity Pro system delivery on Wednesday, I am not sure how long it would take for me to reach the levels you have displayed in your system.

I guess it is great for guys like me with limited electonics knowledge and also very nice to see you indicate full support for PMDG.

All the best

phil.
12-10-2009, 03:22 PM
when and where can we buy this ICS, and is it possible to use this with the FDS Mip ?
Phil.

Sean Nixon
12-10-2009, 03:32 PM
It will be sold with completely build plug and play systems in various configurations for both the desktop and the pro stand.

Filler, filler, filler

dnoize
12-10-2009, 04:07 PM
when and where can we buy this ICS, and is it possible to use this with the FDS Mip ?
Phil.

As Sean said: We designed it for our prebuild plug and play systems and as such it will not be available seperately.

Stef

phil.
12-10-2009, 04:55 PM
ok so when will it be available for sale ?

Sean Nixon
12-10-2009, 05:00 PM
It's available now. You'll have to email them for pricing.

dnoize
12-10-2009, 05:02 PM
ICS is in stock and available for pre-build systems.

Just drop us an e-mail for lead times and prices.

Stef

phil.
12-10-2009, 05:10 PM
ok so if i understand good, i must buy a complete mip to have this ICS ?
i have a FDS mip now, wired with cp flight board, can't i use the ICS fore the lower Mip panels for dimming the lights ?
Phil.

CrashEd
12-10-2009, 07:00 PM
In short, no. As far as I understand it...

dnoize
12-11-2009, 04:53 AM
ok so if i understand good, i must buy a complete mip to have this ICS ?

Yes, ICS is designed for pre build units.

i have a FDS mip now, wired with cp flight board, can't i use the ICS fore the lower Mip panels for dimming the lights ?
Phil.

ICS has lower subpanel functionality. i.e. you can use the knobs on the lower subpanels to adjust brightness of the panels, the glare flood and the background lighting independently of eachother. Furthermore you can use the OpenGL dimming of the PFD, ND and EICAS screens in PM and Flightdecksoftware.

HOWEVER, ICS is designed for OUR panels. If im not mistaken FDS's IBL uses 5 Volts max. Our panels use 12 V max. So even if it was possible to use ICS with FDS panels , your panels would light up very bright, for a very short time ;-)

Apart from that it is very unlikely that the holes in the panels for knobs, switches, etc would be exactly the same. Even an offset of less than a half millimeter would allready cause problems !

Having said all this, it doesnt really matter since ICS is not available seperately

Stef