PDA

View Full Version : FSBUS - OK someone bring me a rope...

shearder
11-10-2009, 02:27 PM
I have been battling for 3 days to get FSBUS to simply flash. I have build the COM board and display 6pak - new versions - COM has 6 cable ports and runs on 5V. (running on a PC power supply)

I have checked this board top to bottom enough times!! I have checked for shorts or breaks. I have checked all resistor values. I have checked all capacitor values. I have checked ALL diode directions and made sure no mix up between Zener and other. I have replaced the MAX232 and 74hc04 ICs i have replaced ATTINY2313 chips on the display board. I have tested the flash cable (6 core ribbon) and ensured that the jumper is set to flash each particular ATTINY2313.

I have set the correct security bits in ponyprog and tested the port. I have tested COM board with FSBUS and had no errors over around 6000 tests. I have tried flashing with 2 computers - one with USB/Serial and one direct serial, com1 and com2. The one is a XP2600+ (old) the other is a QUAD Intel @ 3.2GHz (NEW)...

I have really run out of ideas and after spending around R3000 on 7 PC boards to be made, electronics to go on the boards etc etc etc and not to mention justifying the time to do this (LOL) I am not an electronics expert by any means - i get by but I do not know where to check from here. I am ready to take all of these wasted components and chuck it in a box and forget about the cockpit dream = bury it so it doesn't haunt me or my wife and my car won't feel bad and KNOW why it wasn't serviced!!! NOT to mention the 2 other PCs i got up and running PLUS 2 x 2" LCD screens etc etc etc... plus sourcing a company to start making my panels which i was also arranging for other simmers.. you know where i am going... I have a LOT invested in this.................. I decided on FSBUS because I don't have tons of money but now i have even less - how ironic is this!!!

Now the only thing i can get is Ponyprog to read the chip which returns all FFs - as it is blank and that is successful - IF it read it anyway.

ANY help would be most definitely tried and appreciated.

I am on my knees hand clenched and praying to the Gods of FSBus and cockpit building!!! I know others are using it MANY others so what am I doing wrong???

Thanks in advance.

mondo50m
11-10-2009, 03:26 PM
What operating system are you using.....I can not flash with Vista, but after I flash with my XP computer, I can use the boards on my Vista laptop....just a thought.

Milt

Jan737
11-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi,

No idea what's wrong, but you can send the Attiny's to me and I'll flash them for you, if that's helps you.
Plaese send me a PM if you want.

Best regards

Jan Geurtsen

sgaert
11-11-2009, 03:14 AM
Hi,

i can offer you that we meet us in Skype or TS with Desktopsharing and we try to find the solution.
Write me a PM if you like.

Stefan

shearder
11-11-2009, 04:42 AM
HI all

Thanks for the responses. I am using VISTA 64bit and XPPRO on the other. Neither work. Rob (FSBUS) said that i should rather not use computer power supply to power the boards. I woud have thought this is the most stable. I don't want to spend money on another power supply and it doesn't work.

Stefan: I will try and get Skyp running tonight and hopefully you wil be on line - that will be n around 7 hours time.

shearder
11-11-2009, 04:48 AM
Hi,

No idea what's wrong, but you can send the Attiny's to me and I'll flash them for you, if that's helps you.
Plaese send me a PM if you want.

Best regards

Jan Geurtsen

Thanks for that Jan but then there are the ATMEGAs and other boards eventually will have the same issue. I guess i just need to get this working. It is a pain and i believe i have tried everything.

sgaert
11-11-2009, 04:51 AM
Hi,

as i know we both live in the same time zone.
I will be home at 17utc.

Stefan

shearder
11-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks for taking the time on Skype Stefan!!1 It got me to look at this board again and as we saw, i found a short that i never found even with the multimeter! SO i guess when frustration sets in our vision is clouded!!

Thanks again for getting me to check the 52nd time LOL - it kinda jumped out at me!!

shearder
11-11-2009, 03:32 PM
There is another simmer, Spiro, go for it Spiro!! The problem with FSBUS was human error not FSBUS :) as i mentioned in our PMs - there are MANY people using FSBUS and because i had a problem should in no way discourage you! :)

john van berkel
11-12-2009, 07:11 PM
well I am not that desperate to take a rope but....
I have spent a while on figure it out what to do I am a bit confused about FSBUS CDK
how does it work and how should I work with it
I did try to run it with some sample files but i cant get it to work the com board runs fine the echo is working and the fsadmin displays are blinking when runs the automatic test

I need some help here if possible tx in advance
regards john van berkel

sgaert
11-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Hi John,

last time i see the CDK is 1 Year ago, but i try my best.
Do you enter your hardware values to the objekt you whant to use? (CID and RID) That are the 2 Values that you can readout with the Admin.
Displays have no RID there you have the CID and RID is 0.

Post some code, where you have problems.
If you have problems to understand how the CDK work, you can write me a PM than we talk via Skype or TS. That is to much to write them here.

Stefan

shearder
11-13-2009, 04:01 AM
OK where am i now? Let me summarise - with a couple of nights of headaches I have a complete Display and IO card - The IO card now had working red and green LEDs.

When i run a test for digital out i.e. LEDs the COM board has activity and the IO board has activity - i.e. the RED LED flickers/glows etc etc but that happens no matter what ID i have it set to. When i connect the cable to the input pins and press or make contact the green LED flickers and so does the LED on the COM board so there is activity between them. But i see no output in the test FSBUS ADMIN software and the LEDs on the output port A or B is not coming on...

I am lost again... I have had MUCH help from Stefan (BIG THANKS) and last night again - i was trouble shooting and the red LED was not illuminating so i checked the board and found no problems and then replaced the LED and WALA!! It worked... But there still does not seem to be any "interfacing" between PC and hardware.. I even went as far as to swap ATMEGA8535 ICs and reflash - all went fine. Same issue. Probably something stupid i guess but it seems to flash the ID because the RED led flashes...

I am stumped again. I spent almost the whole of yesterday - no lies, completing the IO board and then testing and looking for issues.

shearder
11-14-2009, 03:58 AM
Well after TONS and HOURS of help from Stefan I still don't seem to get up and working properly. It is like 50/50/ Some stuff working and other stuff not. I have checked all boards again and again and I must say I am stumped.

However, with that said - I think it is time to pack the stuff in a box for another day when i have the time.

I read somewhere that someone built a new COM board and it worked fine. SO perhaps i need to do the same when i have some spare cash laying around because i can't justify any more than i have already spent and that before even buying wood and all switches etc for the cockpit.

I can't imagine where else to check.

STefan (sgaert) MANY thanks for your time and assistance. :D

john van berkel
11-20-2009, 01:48 AM
well it is working in a way now I have the rotary and display working
it seems that the mistake was the powersupply I have one that is changeable from 1 up to 16 volt and I knew it had to be 5 volt and I thought I did set it to 5 but i didnt so with the powersupply set properly it is working.

regards john

shearder
11-20-2009, 03:32 AM
hey john, are you using common anode?

john van berkel
11-20-2009, 06:37 AM
are you using common anode?

hi sheader for witch board ?
I have seen that you have trouble with your setup are you using heatcontrolled soldering iron equipment ?

regards john

shearder
11-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Hi John

The display 6 pack - common anode or cathode? I have tested removing the 0ohm resistor and trying it on CA but doesn't work. However, i noticed when i remove the resistor the LEDs still light but not as bright. No I have a magnum 25w and an antex 15-18w. However, i have no issues with them because i also don't solder ICs direct to the board - i am using sockets.

I am pretty happy today because I have my NGIO card working well now. Outputs and inputs are working - haven't tested analogue inputs and outputs though. But buttons are working and LEDs out are working on both output ports. That is a BIG step.

However, I am coming to think that the display issue is interfacing on the software side because I checked all pin assignments on 7seg digits and the display board and 6pack board and all pins are set correctly so dp is going to dp on all pins associated.

What i did notice today too, this is what makes me think it is an interface issue, ALL 6 ports are doing the same thing. When i do tests with FSBUS admin i get wierd characters when set to auto. The different segments all work except d - bottom one. It ONLY works when i move the dp slider till it gets to the 7seg it relates to and then the bottom segment "d" works. So if i move the 7seg specific slider to 8 i get 8 that looks like an A with a dp like A. and not 8 but if i move the dp slider i can get an 8 with a dp. The dp seems to be replacing the d output.

NOW, another wierd thing, and the reason i say i feel the problem is software or some sort of interfacing issue is that when i move the brightness slider the digits also change!!!

Jan737
11-20-2009, 09:36 AM
That's seems to be a short problem.
Check the display pcb on shorts, not only visual but measure also with an ohm meter, just to be sure.

I've all of my displays working with the same software whitout problems.
Have you flashed the Atmels again?

Best regards

Jan Geurtsen

shearder
11-20-2009, 10:58 AM
yes, i have flashed them about 3 times.

Jan737
11-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Then it seems to be a short problem.
Check the display pcb on shorts, not only visual but measure also with an ohm meter, just to be sure.

I've all of my displays working with the same software whitout problems.

shearder
11-21-2009, 01:06 AM
WELL WELL WELL - yesterday was a MILE stone in cockpit building LOL - BUT only one of MANY to come.

I spent some time chatting to Stefan (sgaert) and figured out that my header pins for the displays was not correct and should be on the "solder" or copper side. I switched them and BOOOM!!! It was working perfectly! So in short, i have learned TONS and tons more to come. Considering i have now built the COM, NGIO and 6Pack display boards i still need to do a DO64, for which i have all the components, and then i start again and build another 3 NGIO boards - for now - and another 6pack while i build the MIP etc and get another 19" wide monitor. Then it is buying FSXpand or something like it.

I have been testing with the CDK and not DLL. When i have noticed is that I tested the fist display with course (OBS) and it worked fine - a little delayed and when i change the digits it doesn't "count" but jumps to the final number i.e. if it is 90 degrees and i change it to 110 it doesn't count as i increment but it jumps with the final 110 number. Can this be sorted with the DLL??

Thanks ahgain to EVERYONE especially Stefan for all the assistance. I no longer need a rope LOL

shearder
12-04-2009, 03:36 AM
I am having a slight problem with FSBUS Router - I can get LEDs working and 7seg displays and switches etc BUT where i am having a problem is with the rotary switches. I have modified one for testing (12 pos) and setup in FSBUS as a a 4 stage rotary in the admin program. Then i opened FSBUS router (latest 2.4.3.1) and setup displays and switches etc. However, when i test i get the corect 1 or -1 on a turn so it works in Admin but in Router it doesn not work...

Any ideas? I read somewhere someone selected digital rotary? Where do i find that?? I am using NG boards.

Thanks in advance.

sgaert
12-04-2009, 06:43 AM
The router don't support the NG boards.

shearder
12-04-2009, 07:19 AM
AH Stefan - many thanks. I know you were in a rush this morning lol so i thought let me ask here :)

Thanks for that response.

shearder
12-16-2009, 05:48 PM
OK after much testing on my ideas for my cockpit it was time to take the plunge and get one of THE most important pieces of software FSUIPC and WideFS!!

Thank you Peter for this FANTASTIC piece of software. Prepare yourself for MANY stupid questions ;)