PDA

View Full Version : Sound input

props
10-22-2009, 01:15 AM
Hello all,my question today is, is it possible to run all sounds and effects from one PC,currently im using 2PC`s mip and scenery. I have a third and i was just wondering?

thanks all
props

Ronson2k9
10-22-2009, 01:51 AM
The heavy duty use of CPU cycles is in the graphics mostly. That's why you haven't seen to many new sound cards out as of late. I would say you could run sounds on a 3rd PC but I would want to get more function out of it then just the sounds. You could run your internet connection if flying online and so on that one too. As sound processing takes up little CPU power you can pile on a few other duties freeing up your graphic intensive machines even more.

props
10-22-2009, 04:12 AM
Hey thanks for the responds,my mip runs on a old 3.0,the view runs on a 2.4 upgraded G-card my third Pc is a old dell 3.2.and i cant add must to it. How do i go about adding the sounds and effects in detail
i will remove sounds from my mip PC to free system, i have airline envy,and load of others. Let me know cause i plan on loading the system down.

thanks props

Ronson2k9
10-22-2009, 10:32 AM
I would say it's the version of FS your using. You would run a second version of the same sim setup on the third PC. You could run a stripped down version of the physical aircraft model though (no VC) and you can run with minimal scenery as that display isn't coming from there. So with FS flying lean and mean you have the same plane minus the other chunks your 3rd PC is pretty free to do the other things you would like perhaps. You can reduce your graphic card needs as again you aren't using that so you can turn that to a level that is the fastest on that machine. FS works in real time so everything is duplicatable. Reduced graphics has nothing to do with sound so there is no worries about it not sounding correct.

You will need to run FSUIPC and various other controlling software to make sure all your controls are duplicated on the three machines. Even if the control doesn't make a sound you will need to have that for the plane you are flying as that is perhaps also sending positional info that can be effected by what controls you are using if outside the realm of FS standard ops.

It would actually be cool if there was away to process sounds outside of FS in addon software. Then you could increase that perhaps. Currently though FSX is doing a pretty good job on the sounds if that's the version your using.

From there you can add to your minimalist FS version running on your 3rd PC the other software. (FSINN and or Squawkbox) + various other pieces of addon software if you have them to spread that load out farther.

It's not easy to do to a degree as you are ramping down graphics to allow for sound and other things mostly. Your not just looking at positional info being sent from your main FS PC as it's the control structure that produces much of the sounds.

Again though the workload of the soundcard isn't that high that you perhaps would need to do that with a 3rd PC. As I had mentioned before it's the graphics that eat up the CPU cycles...

Think of it like playing a CD in your computer or composing music in your computer. One is going to be very low on CPU the other very high. Still making sound though. FS is a music player not a composer :) So even though you can do this your CPU savings from moving it to the 3rd PC isn't going to be very high. That's why if you move other stuff over there like Internet connection and so on then it makes sense. As that is a burden that is better shared. As you have quite a bit happening on your main FS CPU the internet can interfere with that. Moving that off to another computer makes for a more stable running FS on your main box and the reduced CPU load on your 3rd PC makes for a better more stable internet connection ..

In my design. I want to run all that off the machine that was doing the gauges. As that machine isn't doing much else. I would run sounds and internet too off of that one. Then all the main FS comp needs to do is scenery/weather. If I run all the control interface off of the 2nd machine that frees up the main FS one for other non FS duties too (should there be any). I'm only in the beginning stages of my build though so things are pretty transitory right now..hehe

I'm sure there are others here that have done what you're trying to do. However my steps would involve the following.

Load and configure FS (same version you have running on your main FS PC) to run with the same aircraft accuracy you have on your main FS comp.

Reduce the graphic workload to minimum
Set audio to your liking
Move the aircraft you want to fly over to your 3rd PC
Load in your additional software.
FSUIPC/FSINN/SB
Connect 3rd PC to main via FSWIDE
You'll want to fly with some of your windows turned on at the start to make sure everything is as it should be but after you have tested you should be able to fly with no aircraft windows turned on.

If you're doing voice ATC with FSINN then you'll need the audio from your headset mic or intercom fed into the 3rd PC.

That's about it..

Loading and configuring FS + addon software on Comp 3
Reducing the graphic workload on comp 3

Basically your only steps. That encompasses quite a bit though.

props
10-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Hey thankyou so much, that give me a new way of going about it. My third pc was my server but with my graphic built into the board i found that i coundnt do much with it(plus it heats up quick) my #1 has dual output for graphics and my gauges with the th2go looks good its the server now #2 runs only scenery. I run widefs and wideview (FS9) i will really try to exspand on what youve given me thanks again.

Good luck with your project and maybe i can return the favor

Props

MartinK
10-23-2009, 04:51 AM
Hi Props,

Please be aware that the copy of FS that is driven by WideView will be running in the so called slew mode and will therefor NOT produce any sound whatsoever.

Cheers,

Martin