PDA

View Full Version : Gyro spinning up sound?

ddimm
09-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Today, I noticed a very important sound missing when I start the Cessna 172. When you flip the master, you normally hear the gyros spinning up. Anyone have a way to add that to the master switch and have the actual sound file?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Ronson2k9
09-26-2009, 09:26 PM
That seems like something you could add to the aircrafts sound configuration. Don't know where you would get the sound from. If you have access to the aircraft 'as you've heard that sound' You could record it via MP3 player or digital recorder. If you know what it sounds like but don't have access to an aircraft you may be able to create the sound. Or if all else fails you might be able to 'borrow' the sound from another aircrafts sound file. If that's the case you could also use the coding in the sound cfg file to add the sound correctly to your C172.

If you have created the sound then it's just a question of adding the sound to the aircraft sound folder and configuring. Not as easy as it once was way back in FS5 but I'm sure not to hard to do.

Audio feedback is pretty important so I would think getting that sound in there will add the 'I've done that' feeling when going through the start sequence checklist.

Update:

I took a look at Flightsim.com they have dreamflight FS2000 C172 available. The sounds are supposed to have come out of a real C172. This may include a Gyro sound -- Worth taking a look. You can't use the plane in FSX of course but you could use the sound if it's in there most likely. Take a look for dfsdc172.zip at Flightsim.com

ddimm
09-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks just the clues I needed - I found a gyro file in the default c-172 sound directory. I have been using the Flight1 Cessna and it did not have the sound included. I moved the file and added the entry in the sound.cfg file and it seem to be working.

My only annoyance is now I hear the high pitched tone over the engine sound. I tried to edit the sound and it "breaks" it. (used audicity)The same sound is used for the gyro spin up as the spin down. The first 3rd of the .wav file is the spin up, the middle third the whining sound of the gyros I hear over the engine noise. The last third is the gyro spinning down. When I tried to edit the file, on the startup of the gyros, the wav file would play right thru from start to finish. When I use the original - it seems to work. Anyone every edit these sound files?

Jylhami
09-27-2009, 05:26 AM
Made one like that.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/jylhami/simu/Gyro_2.WAV

Have not try it yet myself...

Just tried this, and its not working :(

How about modify the sound.cfg file in the c172 sounds folder and decrease the amout for gyro sound max volume ?

[GYRO_SOUND]
filename=c172_gyro
maximum_volume=8800

Ronson2k9
09-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Another approach would be to increase the engine sound and then turn down the overall sound. It's a mixing thing. Should be able to adjust the volume of the sound from within the config file though. It's to bad there isn't a sound editor out there for doing FS sounds that would run the sound so you could edit 'on the fly' if you'll pardon the pun. There are so many different subtleties to FS sounds though. There are so many sounds in the cabin.