PDA

View Full Version : Two projector outside view

HomeCockpitFlyer
09-25-2009, 11:00 PM
First let me thank everyone who has contributed to this group as your posts have served as valuable help and inspiration to me and others.

I am planning to upgrade the outside visuals for my Cessna 172 cockpit. Below is a picture of my current setup which includes three 21" CRT monitors forming the outside view. I've frosted the side windows to eliminate reference to the room to enhance immersion. Overall, I have been very happy with my setup, however I believe upgrading the outside visuals is the next step in making further improvement in immersion. In my current setup, you see the monitor bezels and depending on head position and movement, can see either above or below the monitors.

I would love to have a 180deg + fov similar to what I have seen on http://www.insitesolutions.com.au/737project/design_visuals_develop_v2.htm. However based on my measurements and 3D modeling, I don't have the space even with short throw projectors to acheive this as it would require use of mirrors and rear projection. At this point, in order to make things easier on myself I prefer to make my setup front projection, with the projector centered and aligned with the screen, and not mess with mirrors.

As a compromise, I have considered using two projectors to project a wide front view that would completely cover the field of view out the front window no matter how much my head moved within the cockpit (within some reason, of course). I've included some drawings of my idea. The screens would be approximately 3 feet from the front windshield and are set at a 28 degree angle. The image size of each screen would be 60" x 45". I picked this arrangement based on the throw distance and angle of the projectors in order to clear the cockpit shell keeping the projectors centered on the screen. The projectors I am considering buying are BenQ MP772ST short throw projectors. I'm planning to use a TH2Go Digital in dual mode to connect the projectors.

I have a few questions...

Any input on the BenQ MP772ST projector?

Any input on my screen geometry? Will using two screens at an angle like this create noticable problems?

I assume projector alignment/setup will be critcal to ensure both images are the same size and lined up. Any tips here?

Anything I am overlooking?

Any input and advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

MartinK
09-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi Mike,

Interesting idea! But there is indeed one thing you have missed. In order for the picture left and right of the 'middle front windows post' to be projected correctly the lenses of your projectors need to be pointing the exact center point of your projection area.
Also, the projection need to be at a 90 degree angle to the screen.
Although your selected projectors will most likely allow you to zoom in or out it probably means your lenses will at the exact same distance from the screen; at a 90 degree angle this means they will get in the way of each other.
This, you may want to look into before you go ahead with this.

Cheers,

Martin

Airhogg
09-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Are you that set on projectors? It looks like your setup would look great with 2 additional side lcd monitors using a DH2go in conjunction with your TH2go. Just a thought!

HomeCockpitFlyer
09-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Martin and Airhogg - thanks for the replies.

You raise a very good point, Martin, about the projector setup and possible interference. I've modeled the setup in 3D using GoogleSketchup. In the attached pics, you can see that with the angle between the two screens at 124 degrees the lenses of the projectors can be centered with their respective screens and projecting at a 90 degree angle to the screens without interfering. By increasing the angle to greater than 124 degrees, I can increase the distance between the two projectors. I know I will probably have to tweek this a little bit in the final installation, but I should be able to set up the screens at 124 degrees +/- some and make it fit. I used the projector manufacturers website to get the geometry of the projections in terms of lens position, screen size, and throw distance. Drawing everything in 3D has really helped visualize the possibilities.

I've considered using large lcd's, but decided that projectors give me the best solution to ensure I have an image large enough to cover the entire window allowing the pilot to also move their head and not get any visual reference to the room or monitor bezel. At this point, the two projector approach to the front view seems to work best. I'm still working on how to obtain a side view. I may settle for adding some type of left side view (maybe left and slightly down) to make pattern flying easier since this is a GA simulator.

Thanks again for the input. Any others are appreciated.

Mike

MartinK
09-30-2009, 06:41 AM
Mike,

Glad I could help a bit here. After my post I realized that my comment is also very much depending on the distance between the screens and the projectors. If this distance is large enough then you don't need to worry because the projectors won't get in the way of each other.

Anyway, my question to you would be: how do realize this front view spread over 2 projectors? Is this done through a Matrox DH2GO box or are you using some other trick?

Thanks!!!

Martin