PDA

View Full Version : Open Cockpit Transponder module!

rhysb
09-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Anyone bought one of these? If so how do you get it to work? Supposed to be plug and play but so far plug and..... nothing!

No documentation or manuals on the opencockpits website?

Any help?

Rhys B

dnoize
09-09-2009, 03:24 PM
all i know is that it gives me a high deja vu feeling......

open cockpits:

http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/images/transp_naranja.jpg

cpflight/flyengravity (released 2 years ago):

http://www.cpflight.com/images/atc737_3_300.jpg

Now, i know we all copy the originals, but these 2 really look the same. Up to the techniques used for producing the texts in the display.

sorry i cant help ya though Rhys.....

Stef

mrcadillac
09-09-2009, 03:40 PM
hi
perhaps you could try this:
go to this page http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/atc-737-module-pp-p-237.html => downloads, there you can find a manual and the software.
install it and run the exe file.

hope this helps,
greetings, christian

Geremy Britton
09-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Supposed to be plug and play but so far plug and..... nothing!

LOL Had to laugh at that. Opencockpits have a good customer support it might be worth contacting them.

Best Regards

Geremy

HondaCop
09-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Now, i know we all copy the originals, but these 2 really look the same. Up to the techniques used for producing the texts in the display.

And what is wrong with that? Aren't all vendors trying to emulate the real Boeing counterpart? So if someone is the first to make a product that looks exactly like the original one, then all the others need to make them different because otherwise it's copying a copy?

dnoize
09-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Nope no problem at all, thats why i said that 'we all copy the original'.

Besides, thats how it goes in this business: alot of creative lending. I just try to be creative myself :-)

its just that when i spend alot of time and money and trial and error to find a method that replicates the original as close as possible for 1/10 th of the price, and 2 year later someone else just unscrews one of your units and copies it down to the smallest production detail that bites jussssst a little bit ;-). It just feels a bit like doing someone elses R&D

but its no problem at all.
Your gain, my loss ;-)

i'm sure that if you come up with a great design and production technique you wont mind if i take of with your idea's either. ;-)

rhysb
09-09-2009, 05:59 PM
hehe well said stef! :-) I totally agree!!

Christian... like i said in my first post no documentation or manuals on their site! The manual you download on that link is for a completly different product! the 737 radios! Thanks for looking though bud appreciatte it :-)

And Geremy yes I have contacted opencockpits! Lets be fair I would be stupid not to contact the vendor!.

dvincent
09-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Hello Rhysb,

follow the link and you 'll find all the info + files needed to get your module working.
http://www.opencockpits.com/uploads/OPENCOCKPITS_COM_737.zip

dvincent
09-09-2009, 06:05 PM
It's the same software for their nav and com. You just need to change the parameters.

rhysb
09-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Dirk,

I have that all installed but nothing in the config files or program refers to the transponder module. The program recognises it but gives no setup options at all for it?? very strange

HondaCop
09-09-2009, 06:14 PM
i'm sure that if you come up with a great design and production technique you wont mind if i take of with your idea's either. ;-)

If it worries you that much, try to patent your technique and design. Oh wait, I think companies such as Boeing already have a patent on that. I really don't get it why it is that you have to try to compare two products and imply that the "other" one is a copy of yours, when you both are trying to emulate as close as possible someone else's design, being Boeing's in this case. Talk about irony.

If it was an original design of yours, then yes, I would stand behind you all the way, because that would be flat out copyright infringement.

What you expect, people to use a Comic Sans font on the panel legends so that they differ from "your design"? :rolleyes:

I guess Project Magenta should be all up in arms, since Sim-Avionic's PFD looks so similar to theirs. Give me a break.

dvincent
09-09-2009, 06:20 PM
A part of the ini-file...

[ Valores iniciales ]
[ Initial values ]

set_com1=118000
set_com2=118000
set_nav1=10800
set_nav2=10800
set_adf1=1000
set_adf2=1000
set_atc=1200

[ Activacion de Radios ]
[ Radio Activation ]

active_com1=Yes
active_com2=Yes
active_nav1=Yes
active_nav2=Yes
active_adf1=Yes
active_adf2=Yes
active_atc=Yes

As far as I can see, the ATC is mentioned

dnoize
09-10-2009, 03:59 AM
If it worries you that much, try to patent your technique and design. Oh wait, I think companies such as Boeing already have a patent on that. I really don't get it why it is that you have to try to compare two products and imply that the "other" one is a copy of yours, when you both are trying to emulate as close as possible someone else's design, being Boeing's in this case. Talk about irony.

LOL @ Hondacop :-)

What i implied was not as much that the design is copied, Like i said: "we all copy the original (which is not a boeing design btw).

What i did say, that UNDERNEATH the panel, the production technique and the way the ATC display and the "1" and "2" are taken care of are an exact copy. Before we designed it nobody (exept for the multi thousand dollar original parts, which offer that functionality in a different way) was offering that, now its just been copied up to the last bit.

But like i said, its no problem at all. Its what happends in this business, just like a vendor that has released a exact copy of our landing gear. Now a landing gear is a landing gear, but if you make an exact (and i mean an EXACT, up to the last washer and screw hole) copy, then you are just too lazy to make your own design.

But dont take this all too seriously....i dont....

appearently you missed all the winks ;-) ;-) ;-)

It was meant ironic indeed :-) calm down now :-)

dvincent
09-10-2009, 06:23 AM
Bless us all,

Amen.

dnoize
09-10-2009, 06:39 AM
LOL @ Dirk !

I owe you a beer in november ! We will probably see eachother alot there.

Back to more important things: Rhys, did you manage to get it to work ?

stef

rhysb
09-10-2009, 04:07 PM
No stef, nothing! completly useless and 2 days later and 4 emails no response from Opencockpits.

Im not going to start on the quality of the product. I know it was on offer at 109euro but its shoddy and not worth that at all!!

Last thing I ever buy from opencockpits

dvincent
09-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Hello Rhysb,

Which program do you use with te ATC module ? And wich version number ?

rhysb
09-10-2009, 04:34 PM
IOCModules Latest version from the site 1.5 i think downloaded it 2 days ago

Rhys B

Peter_Pilot
09-11-2009, 03:11 AM
Hi Rhysb,

sorry if any of these seem like dumb questions, but..

Does your module do anything at all, are there any signs of life? do the digits light up when you plug it in?

Does the computer recognise it as a new USB device?

Have you plugged it into the motherboard or a hub?

Can you see any reference to the module in the iocards software to confirm that it is connected and running even if it doesn't do anything.

Peter.

Peter_Pilot
09-11-2009, 03:20 AM
Rhysb,

I have just seen the photo, it looks like you had a nice time in Wales last week!

Pete.

rhysb
09-11-2009, 04:25 AM
Computer recognises it program recognises it and windows recognises it but nothing no life in it whatsoever

and still nothing from opencockpits!

dvincent
09-11-2009, 05:58 AM
Hello Rhysb,

to get in touch with OC, it 's quicker to send mails to sales instead of support.
In case you only sent an email to support of OC.
It's strange anayway.
Did you post the problem on the Spanish forum ? (not the OC forum)
You often can get help from the guys there.

Peter_Pilot
09-12-2009, 02:37 AM
Rhysb,

Another dumb question.

Have you got power on your aeroplane (avionics powered up)? I think that might have been one of the logic improvements they made to the software i.e. blank the display when the power is off.

Pete.

AUA555
09-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Same problem with me.

USB is fine, IOCModule1.5 works, the ATC value from the ini file is transfered into FSX, but no further changes possible. Although the digits of the module work (you can change it with the respective buttons) its not
transfered into FSX. No reply from OC neither the forum nor mail....

Any idea how to make it work, guys???

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers
Roland

Gazuk21
09-26-2009, 11:43 AM
I get exactly the same problem... i emailed support who said they hadn't seen the problem before.

G

AUA555
09-26-2009, 11:47 AM
There is at least a 3rd guy with the same problem, I met him at the OC forum.

They recently switched the IOCModule.exe to version 1.5, maybe there is an error in the new version.
Does anyone have the older 1.3 version ?

Cheers
Roland

tiburon
10-06-2009, 03:12 AM
For me, it worked right out the box (and after editing the .ini file) . I can change the squawk code and see it changing in my PMDG 737.
here's a copy of my .ini file (version 1.51)

[ fichero de configuracion para IOCModules ]
[ Configuration file for IOCModules ]

[ Arranque minimizado en la barra ]
[ Start minimized in tray ]
Minimized=Yes

[ X-plane mode Yes or No]
Xplane=No

[ FACTOR Trim]
TRIM_factor=300

[ FLAPS Maximum degree // Máximos grados]
MFLAPS=40

[ Retractable GEAR // Tren retractil]
RTREN=Yes

[ IP del HOST del servidor ]
[ IOCP server host name ]
IOCP_host=localhost

[ Puerto de envio del protocolo IOCP ]
[ IOCP port ]
IOCP_port=8090

[ Tiempo de respuesta máximo de los paquetes IOCP ]
[ IOCP Timeout ]
IOCP_timeout=4000

[Brillo por defecto 1-121]
[Bright 1-121]
bright=121

[ Valores iniciales ]
[ Initial values ]

set_com1=118000
set_com2=118000
set_nav1=10800
set_nav2=10800
set_adf1=1000
set_adf2=1000
set_atc=1200

[ Activacion de Radios ]
[ Radio Activation ]

active_com1=yes
active_com2=no
active_nav1=no
active_nav2=no
active_adf1=no
active_adf2=no
active_atc=Yes

[ Orden para COM , NAV y ADF]
[ COM , NAV % ADF modules order ]
[ Change to NO for device number minor assigned to COM2 , NAV2 or ADF2, if YES, minor device number is COM1 , NAV1

or ADF1]
FIRST_DEVICE_COM1=Yes
FIRST_DEVICE_NAV1=Yes
FIRST_DEVICE_ADF1=Yes

[Emulación de test]
Emulate_test=yes

[ End of File ]

As you can see, I also have the comm. module, and here's a problem I'm having :
When I plug in the comm. module, even when the pc is switched off, the backlighting is lit. it is constantly on.
On the ATC module I can't get the backlighting to work at all.
Should this (and can this) be done with the SIOC software ?

cheers

Martin

issue solved : it turned out to be the USB cable. The questions stand, however.