PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to FSUIPC?

Cooleo
09-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Hey all.

I've got my first lot of switches done but I don't have the money for FSUIPC, Is there any decent alternatives? (For reassigning keys)

thanks

JBaymore
09-08-2009, 12:43 PM
What interface hardware are you using to hook the physical switched to the computer and hence to the sim? THAT will maybe dictate the next step a bit.

best,

.................john

Cooleo
09-08-2009, 12:47 PM
I am using a joystick interface.

autocadplease
09-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Just use FS to assign your switches. You will be limited as to what you can assign, but the list is still reasonable.

PittsburghLever
09-08-2009, 12:57 PM
If you can so some programming yourself, there is always SimConnect. Internally, I belive, FSUIPC is using SimConnect.

That said, I am trying to write some software that works totally without FSUIPC.

No Longer Active
09-08-2009, 01:11 PM
For the very small cost that FSUIPC want for registration, it really is worth just saving up for FSUIPC as it will become your brain and backbone to do stuff that will transform the functioning of your sim however basic or advanced it may be.

Just save £2 or £3 per week and in 2 to 3 months, or by xmas you will have some software that you wouldn't want to be without!

It really is a superb investment!

In the mean time, just hack your joystic and controllers and assign what FS will let you, but expect basic functions!

Just save up the pennies!

Cooleo
09-08-2009, 01:11 PM
I've been using joy2key at the moment:
http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm

I can't use the built in Flight Simulator assignments as some of my switches use the POV Hat.

No Longer Active
09-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Like I said, your better off buying a Leo Bodnar BU0836 for under £25 delivered.

And buy FSUIPC for about the same price...........

Life is so much easier than hacking joysticks, using additional software etc etc.

FSUIPC is what you need!

Grab a Leo board too for peanuts!

JBaymore
09-08-2009, 02:11 PM
FSUIPC is the "Swiss Army Knife" of flight simming. It is WELL worth the inexpensive price. And the continuous support out of Pete is AWESOME!

best,

..................john

N242AM
09-08-2009, 03:05 PM
I concur with John's comments on Pete Dowson and FSUIPC.

If ALL Flight Sim developers provided that same level of support as Mr. Dowson does, this hobby would be many years in advance of what it currently is.

Actually, there are many that should get out of the Flight Sim business.

No Longer Active
09-08-2009, 03:08 PM
I think Pete Dowson's head will explode if he see's this lol.......the flatery!

The last time I spoke to Pete, he was very honoured by our kind comments.

Alex,

JBaymore
09-08-2009, 04:25 PM
I think Pete Dowson's head will explode if he see's this lol.......the flatery!

The last time I spoke to Pete, he was very honoured by our kind comments.

Alex,

Pete deserves every bit of the praise. He has done HUGE things for this hobby over the years.

A lot of people "got on his case" when he changed FSUIPC to payware a few years ago. But man, the amount he charges for this interface is STILL a "giveaway" price with what it can do for you, COMBINED with an absolutely amazing FREE support system.... that companies with even dozens of FT employees do not routinely give.

Pete Dowson is a Flight SIM MVP for sure.

And I agree that many flight sim hardware and software companies should "take a page out of his book".

best,

................john

fweinrebe
09-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Hey all.

I've got my first lot of switches done but I don't have the money for FSUIPC, Is there any decent alternatives? (For reassigning keys)

thanks

What Flight Simulator version do you use?

Using FS2004 there is only FSPUIC available. With MS FSX Deluxe, you have SimConnect included. And FSPUIC can also be used with FSX.

What FSPUIC have, and SimConnect not, are the lot of functionality for key and joystick assigments and other usefull stuff.

Or you could hack a keyboard controller and use only MSFS keybooard assignments.