PDA

View Full Version : Switches for Lights.

Cooleo
09-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Hello.

I'm just starting off building my cockpit. I would like to wire these (http://www.positiveoffset.com/Parts/on-off-switch.jpg) switches up for the lights. How do I get these to work with USB? Is there an interface board? They are really nice to feel, and will be really cool to come into land and actually have hardware to turn on and off!

Thanks

autocadplease
09-05-2009, 01:33 PM
One of the best and easiest interface boards to use is the BU0386X from Leo Bodnar www.leobodnar.com. It makes the switches you wire to it, buttons that can be assigned functions. You can use FSX to assign the switches/buttons but Peter Dowson's FSUIPC will make the options almost endless.

There are other interface boards (Flight Deck Solutions, Opencockpits,etc.) which have output capabilites among other things. The "sky is the limit" in this hobby. It depends how far you want to get into it.

Cooleo
09-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Is the BU0836X the only one you can use or is it possible to use the BU0836A? Just because its cheaper.

autocadplease
09-05-2009, 01:47 PM
EDIT: THE BU0386A DOES HAVE 32 INPUTS! SORRY!!!

Absolutely, it just has 12 inputs instead of 32 like the BU0386X.

If you are one a budget and are "handy", buy the cheap game controller and wire your switch to it's buttons.

Cooleo
09-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Sorry, Which game controller do you mean? or do you mean a generic one?

and thanks for the info, I might buy one of them unless this option is cheaper.

NigelD
09-05-2009, 01:59 PM
The "ski is the limit" in this hobby. It depends how far you want to get into it.

Yes, the ski certainly is the limit if you are going skiing!!! ;)

I'll keep my plane in the sky. Funny typo my man!

Nigel.

autocadplease
09-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Yes, any USB game controller or HID (human interface device) with buttons will work. I bought a game controllers here in Canada at Wal-Mart for $5. Just like this one on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.ca/USB-Dual-Shock-Controller-Game-Pad-Gamepad-Joypad-Fr-PC_W0QQitemZ370248801723QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Joysticks_Game_Controllers?hash=item56348c5dbb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14. Just trace the button's circuit back to the controller card and solder your wires there or if you can just solder directly on the PCB (printed circuit board) where the button sits.

Jackpilot
09-05-2009, 02:03 PM
You can also open the guts of a cheap joystick, get the two wires attached to any button, hook them to your switch and assign the "landing light " function to that switch with FSUIPC.

Cooleo
09-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Ah, That sounds a little over my head, I have a tendency of breaking PCB's when soldering. :roll:. Is there wiring diagrams for the BU0386A? I've bought some switches which have the following terminals on the bottom:
| |
| |
| |

Which would I connect to where?

Thanks

autocadplease
09-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Looks like they are DPDT (Double Pole, Double Throw). This means you can attach two separate circuits (double pole) to the switch, which will turn on/off two different functions (double throw). The switch would probably be ON/OFF/ON. Meaning, the middle position is OFF. The up position is ON for one function and the down position is ON for a separate function. You can always solder pins together or not solder them all together.

The BU0386A does not have the quick connects like the BU0386X. You may want to buy connectors for it or you will have to solder to each pin. The wiring diagram is on the website.

autocadplease
09-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Sorry, you asked how to wire them.
Just solder the ground wire to the middle pin and the +5V wire to the other pin. Because they are double throw you have two separate pins to choose from. If the switch is in the vertical position, the upper pin can be one circuit and the lower pin can be another circuit - or wire these together and make them one circuit. But that is just one way of many to wire them.

What do you want your switches to do?

PS: The BU0386A does have 32 inputs! My mistake. The BU0386A requires diodes for each switch (if not momentary) where the BU0386X does not.

Cooleo
09-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Sorry about this. I just found an old joystick! The joystick portion of it broke but the buttons were ok. I've taken it to pieces and found out on the back of the buttons, they are four pin to the PCB! So im going to try hooking up my toggle switch to where there is a button switch currently.

Thanks

Edit: I want my switches for my lights! :)

autocadplease
09-05-2009, 02:46 PM
The easiest way to check this is to plug the joystick in and go to the control panel, game controllers and then select the joystick, and go to properties. It will show the buttons. Hook your wiring up and test. The button will turn red when it is activated. Have fun!

Cooleo
09-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Im having real trouble removing the solder from the PCB so I can get the switch out, Any tips?

Cooleo
09-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Got it to work! Tommorow is time to buy wood, proper wire and solder! Thanks Autocad! :D

autocadplease
09-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Great! I bet you will want more thought!:mrgreen:

Cooleo
09-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah! I've just ordered 8 more 8-) This is gonna be fun!

Leo Bodnar
09-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Sorry, you asked how to wire them.
Just solder the ground wire to the middle pin and the +5V wire to the other pin. Because they are double throw you have two separate pins to choose from. If the switch is in the vertical position, the upper pin can be one circuit and the lower pin can be another circuit - or wire these together and make them one circuit. But that is just one way of many to wire them.

What do you want your switches to do?

PS: The BU0386A does have 32 inputs! My mistake. The BU0386A requires diodes for each switch (if not momentary) where the BU0386X does not.
I just wanted to point out that this will shortcircuit GND and +5V. :D

Basically, you connect the dual throw switch to BU0836(A) like this:

COL1------------[ ] [x]
ROW1----|<|-----[ ] [x]
COL2------------[ ] [x]

This way you have two buttons 1 and 2 activated in up and down positions and you save one diode.
Next switch goes between ROW1 and COL3/4, etc.
I hope it makes sense.