PDA

View Full Version : Removing the cockpit view from FSX

JimmyGerrard
08-31-2009, 07:56 AM
I'm sure this has been asked before (although I couldn't find a post), and I'm sure all of you builders have encountered it at some point...

I am looking to completely remove the cockpit view from FSX...I am running a GA Panel on a 4th monitor which makes having the VC or 2D cockpit obsolete, so all I want is the exterior view across my main display screens. How do I go about doing it? I have never played about with config files etc. so I am hoping that there is an easier (and free) way!

BTW, I tried pressing W and it didn't work. :D

Thanks.

N242AM
08-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Hi Jimmy,

Aren't you pleased that MS provided us with that mess in FSX. I wish they had spent more time on issues such as that vs the "aminals".

To you question, here is how to remove the FSX panel views. I have fogotten just who found this solution but they sure deserve the credit.

- Press W key until you see the round analog instrument gauges.

- Press Shift+8 to bring up pop-up panel.

- Press A

- Press Shift+A

Hope this helps.

Tomlin
08-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Look at this thread: http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?p=67272

fweinrebe
08-31-2009, 01:50 PM
The W key works if you have the 2D cockpit mode running. If you are in 2D mode sometimes the main panel can be toggled by Shift + 1. But depends on mapping in panel.cfg file.

In VC mode it is more complex, but Eric gave a good link to that thread.

N242AM
08-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Yes, W key does work to remove the Forward view's panels. However, if you then look left or right you can see the inside of the aircraft.

I believe Jimmy is wanting to not see any of the aircraft's inside views.

spiro
08-31-2009, 04:14 PM
hi guys i have the same qestion looked at the links but i tryed every thing not working some add ons have a veiw ready for 3d cockpit but what do we do when using the airplanes in fsx ???

mauriceb
09-01-2009, 09:17 AM
I replied to that question a long time ago and I'm pretty sure that still works.

Originally Posted by mauriceb
Not so. Don't know about MS intentions, but you can easily get rid of all the virtual cockpit parts so that all external views do not show any of the interior. Simply remove this line that says Interior=... & just leave the line that says normal=..... in the model.cfg file.

Just try it for whatever aircraft you are using & voila, no more interior getting in the way of your exterior views. Just add // in front of Interior=... so that it looks like //Interior=....

Maurice

spiro
09-01-2009, 12:36 PM
hi again i am not very good at these things so tell me if this is the right way to get to the right file!!
1 sim objects file
2 airplanes file
3 (airplane of choise)beech_king_air_350 file
4 model file
than i get different files withch are
beech_king_air_350.mdl 5.610KB
beech_king_air_interior.mdl 698KB
the other is microsofts file
i am not shure if i am in the right place but before i open the model file
in the airplane file there are alot of files like textures1,textures 2,textures3,
panel,sound and so on

can some help from here on:oops::oops::oops:

N242AM
09-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Providing that entry is in the model!

I have looked at a few different aircraft and it was not possible to modify the file. Maybe these aricraft were brought over from FS9, or the designer did not want to go to the trouble of the added work, I really don't know.

Al I know is that I could not modify the file as you suggest.

spiro
09-01-2009, 04:54 PM
thank i just think i have to find an add on that is able to work vc with out interior i have some but not the aircraft i whant so back to serching again
thanks for the info ;)

mauriceb
09-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Al I know is that I could not modify the file as you suggest.

Sorry but cannot check again as my sim is in pieces for now. All I know is that I had no problem modifying the file for several aircrafts and that gave me the unobstructed outside view. What exactly did you mean by "I could not modify the file"?

Did you get get an error message and if yes, what was the message? Possibly the file may have been flagged as Read only and you could easily change that if that was the case, although I do not remember having to do that.

Maurice

mauriceb
09-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Here is what I did in the following file:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\B737_800\model\model.cfg

[models]
normal=B737_800
//interior=B737_800_interior
//Line above remed out to remove the interior cockpit view when looking to the sides

This can be done for any of the FSX aircrafts:

[models]
normal=Beech_King_Air_350
// interior=beech_king_air_350_interior

Maurice

N242AM
09-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Sorry but cannot check again as my sim is in pieces for now. All I know is that I had no problem modifying the file for several aircrafts and that gave me the unobstructed outside view. What exactly did you mean by "I could not modify the file"?

Did you get get an error message and if yes, what was the message? Possibly the file may have been flagged as Read only and you could easily change that if that was the case, although I do not remember having to do that.

Maurice

Maurice,

At the time I was using a Premier Aircraft freeware aircraft. Their Model files still do not have the Interior line entry in the model.cfg. To confirm, I just checked their latest release of the CJR. That is what I meant when I wrote that I could not modify the file.

I just tried remarking out that entry with the F1 Mustang and it does work. Thanks for the tip.

spiro
09-03-2009, 04:34 PM
dear Maurice
I done it tryed it out on 2 aircrafts and it works:D:D:D
thanks mate very smart tip!!!!!!! every one that has a sim should know about this thanks again!!!!

JimmyGerrard
09-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi Maurice, thanks for the tip. However, whenever I try to save the change I make in the model.cfg I get an error message asking me to check that the path and file names are correct. Any idea why this might be? I am saving over the old version so presumably the location is correct by default?

I am using notepad to do the editing, and not sure if it makes much of a difference but I noticed that my FSX files are contained within my x86 program files, rather than regular.

Thanks,

James

JimmyGerrard
10-31-2009, 12:03 PM
I am still having the same problem as below, can anyone help me figure this out? Even if I make no changes to the cfg file at all and just try and save it again it tells me to verify the file name and path. Very annoying.

spitfire9
10-31-2009, 02:43 PM
I was just wondering,, what is the reason for using the VC view for outside visuals rather than the 2D view with the panels hidden ??

Is it for performance or easier to adjust eyepoint ???
Or does the scenery just look better.

JimmyGerrard
10-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Not sure about other peoples' reasons but I would rather use VC because you have much more control over viewpoints when flying approaches. I do a lot of VFR GA flying which means circuits, and of course as part of that you need a good view to judge the turn from downwind on to base and base on to final. I am using the 2D panel hidden at the mo and when I flick my hat switch I can only view 90 degrees left, right or backwards, and it doesn't give me the freedom I need to be able to get the turns right.