PDA

View Full Version : Help on Computer Configuration

vybhav
08-27-2009, 11:25 AM
I am now planning on my computer requirements for the PM. I understand we may need multiple CPU's for the following (besides the main CPU)

a) Captain PFD/ND
b) FO PFD/ND
c) Upper EICAS
d) Lower EICAS
e) Overhead as temporarily plan to use the touch screen

Is my understanding correct? Also, do you think the following computer configuration would suffice for the same or is it too high:

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2250&stc=1&d=1251386587

Further, I have the following questions:

a) Would it be recommended we use one computer of the above configuration with dual head video card and hence one computer for Captain and Co Pilot - PFD/ND

b) Also since, I plan to purchase Engravity CDC-1055 FMC, would it require another Computer

c) Also to which Computer would the Flight Illusions, CP Flight MCP, EFIS, AFDS, Master Caution etc be connected? The main FS PC or the above PC?

Is there anything I am missing ?

Would appreciate your feedback

Regards
Vybhav

Edit: Typo Corrected

dnoize
08-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Further, I have the following questions:

a) Would it be recommended we use one computer of the above configuration with dual head video card and hence one computer for Captain and Co Pilot - PFD/ND

captains and first officers PFD/ND can easily be done with one computer.

b) Also since, I plan to purchase Engravity CDC-1055 FMC, would it require another Computer

the cdu is connected to the computer running your pm cdu. This doesn not neccesairily have to be a dedicated pc but can also be one running some other pm modules.

c) Also to which Computer would the Flight Illusions, CP Flight MCP, EFIS, AFDS, Master Caution etc be connected? The main FS PC or the above PC?

MCP connected to your computer running the software (PM ?) MCP.
EFIS connected to the MCP
MIP737 board (if you use it ) connected to the mcp,
etc. All cpflight modules are daisychained to the mcp (or the blackbox) which functions as a mastermodule

AFDS and mastercaution and sixpacks are connected to the MIP737 board or any other interface board compatible with PM

Stef

vybhav
08-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Many Thanks for the response Stef.

Do you think the configuration of the Computer is reasonable to achieve this? Also how is the CDC1055 connected to the computer is this a USB or more a Video Input, etc.

Regards
Vybhav

dnoize
08-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Many Thanks for the response Stef.

Do you think the configuration of the Computer is reasonable to achieve this? Also how is the CDC1055 connected to the computer is this a USB or more a Video Input, etc.

Regards
Vybhav

The CDU is connected via a single USB.
The CDC1055 is a dual CDU and lower EICAS unit. So in that case: 2 USB (one for each CDU) and a VGA (for the lower eicas).

The conputer configuration shown above is MORE than sufficient for PM. PM does not need very heavy computers (except for PMsystems).

Flightdecksoftware (which we discussed earlier) is even less processor intensive.

Stef

Anderson/SBSP
08-27-2009, 01:44 PM
In my project i use 4 computers.

Look the diagram attached in this post.

Another computer i use just for pedestal and overhead interface with FSBUS.

alfsky
08-27-2009, 04:42 PM
You don't need Mouse/keyboard to each computer. It' save some $ and less cable in cockpit ;). It's easy to use some remonte desktop software like VNC. I'm managing all computers via network from my laptop.

vybhav
08-27-2009, 10:23 PM
In my project i use 4 computers.

Look the diagram attached in this post.

Another computer i use just for pedestal and overhead interface with FSBUS.

Thanks for sharing. Do you mind sharing the computer configuration details may just be useful.

Many thanks
Regards
Vybhav

Rodney
08-27-2009, 10:46 PM
While PM software for Capt's PFD/ND, FO PFD/ND, Upper & Lower ECAIS, and MCP are not dependent on a powerful computer system they will run fine on a PIII with minimum ram and video card. So as Stef said you can have most of it run on the main computer. But what you really need to focus on is what the real capability of the main computer is and what you need to accomplish. Most folks use the main computer for the simulator software, the simulator visuals, and the MCP & Capt's PFD/ND successfully. Another point is the smoothness of the visuals on the PFD/ND/'s and ECAIS's. It is really something you will have to experiment with the components you have remembering that no 2 computers are exactly alike. Most of us wished there was some magic standard configuration that everything would work off of, and there is, but only you can find it depending on what your resources are. Your questions are tough to answer definitively, but we can move you in the right direction if you run into trouble.