PDA

View Full Version : Panel spray Paint

riche543
08-07-2009, 04:14 AM
Hi guys question regarding mixing paint with mineral turpintine (turps) I have had some paint mixed to RAL 7011 from my local hardware.It is oil based super enamel, which i thought should be fine. according to the instructions on the side of the tin , if you are using a spraygun (which i am) you should use 100ml of turps to every 1 litre of paint to thin it out. What i have found is that once spayed it doesnt seem to set the same as say general spay can paint. (it seems more flexible or rubbery) it is easier to scratch the paint off the panel unlike a panel sprayed with general spray can paint. i was thinking of try to thin the paint a little more to see if it gave me a tougher finish , any suggestions guys ..... Thanks all. cheers.. :)

brianwilliamson
08-07-2009, 04:36 PM
For what it's worth never use enamel on acrylic. Always use acrylic laquer with acrylic laquer thinners, which will stick to the acrylic, even without under coat, because it actually dissolves into the top layer and when it dries, which is within hours, you will have a lot harder finish. Go to your local automotive shop and they will help you out.
Cheers.............Brian W.

Rodney
08-07-2009, 11:44 PM
When you use mineral spirits to thin paint, it needs to be the consistency of milk, almost water. The whole idea around using mineral over a thinner is the mineral allows the paint to dry much slower, to let it "lay". So if your temperature where your painter item is needs to be well above 50 degrees F (80-90 is better) for it to dry quicker. Alternative is to paint very thin coats, translucent, and wait at least 2 hours in between coats. Spray bombs have allot of thinner in them. Spray some in the lid and look at its consistency. If you are not a pro in painting, I'm not, then its is a tough task without experimenting on a like surface that won't bee seen. Hope this helps.

riche543
08-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks Brian & Rodney for your replys to this. Im not really having much luck with getting this paint sorted. So i have been to a few automotive paint sparyers & asked about this. It seems none of them can give me the same sort of paint you can buy in a spray can off the shelf in a tin, just mixed to RAL 7011. I am being told that i need a 2 pack system ,which is fine but i dont understand why you cannot buy whats in a spray can in a tin.. This is no dig at paint spayers but when i asked that question none of them knew what was in the spray can???????? I Have Orderd the 2 pack system to try & see how this goes. Cheers Riche..