PDA

View Full Version : Who here flys in reallife?

Superjew
07-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Im just a simmer, I cant afford to fly in reallife, but I was curious as to who on here has actually flown a plane themselves in RL?

Jackpilot
07-28-2009, 12:13 PM
.... just a simmer, ...cant afford to fly in reallife

To answer partly your question:
I did not have the means for a flightschool either, I started a career in something else and at one point sold my car and used transit for two years to pay for my training, while working my regular job, and "sweeping the Apron" on week-ends in exchange for hours!
This was a long time ago.
Can be done...if you have the passion.
Cheers
JP

Matt Olieman
07-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Quite a few, from private pilots to airline pilots.

Welcome aboard.

Matt Olieman

autocadplease
07-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Used to fly as a commercial pilot. I flew smaller twins (Cessna 421 & 320). Then I got married and had a child - had to give up flying as a career, so I built a sim!

CessnaGuy
07-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Logged 3.5 hours in the last 10 years towards my PPL, so getting there lol!

ian@737ng.co.uk
07-28-2009, 01:24 PM
hello captain.....
i also hold UK & FAA PPL/IR/Multi, but sadly the cost here in europe makes it almost impossible for the man in the street to keep the ratings. so my medical is due in august and i'm not going to renew simply because i can't afford it anymore.
i used to look at C172's and remember when my wife used to make me feel like that :o
now my wife costs me less
enjoy your evening chaps....
rgds ... ian

fweinrebe
07-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Did some flying until 2001. Got bored since the weather is always VMC here in Namibia. I remember flying on average 1 real instrument approach a year. And that outside Namibia.

JP is right, if you have the passion you can make it. I remember earning enough money in a month to go fly for 1.5 hours on a C172. No wonder it took 4 years to get a CPL.

The passion lives on in building a sim.

jmig
07-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Attended USAF pilot training in 1971 and flew for ten years. Later flew myself in GA aircraft for business and pleasure. Lost my medical six years ago, tried once to get it back and found out it wasn't worth the trouble.

I now just fly below the radar in my 2009 GMC Acadia.

percy
07-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Many years ago was able to work as a part time CFI.
percy.

Mike.Powell
07-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Used to fly GA years ago. Piper Cherokee 140, Cessna Skyhawk 172. Got married, had kids, became conservative and poor.

mauriceb
07-28-2009, 07:17 PM
. Then I got married and had a child - had to give up flying as a career, so I built a sim!

Somehow, this little 'predicament' (getting married and/or having children) seems to put a damper on many dreams. :D

Maurice

Westozy
07-28-2009, 08:32 PM
I got my licence in 2000 and did 90 odd hours over four summers. Qualified for C150, C172 and Eagle 150. Like everyone else does I gave it away due to the high expenses. I built my sim to replace reality, and it's BETTER!!! Aviation now costs me about 10 cents an hour!

Gwyn

CessnaGuy
07-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Gwyn...

I actually thought you were a real airline pilot.....your avatar picture says it all!;-)

W9XE/Project777
07-29-2009, 12:23 AM
I never received a certificate in anything but have well over 100 hours in multiple types of aircraft.

My first was time in a T-34 at the Naval Air Station in Guam. Plane needed a little work but cool flying with canopy slid back. Later I took lessons in a Blanik Glider at RAF Bicester in the UK. Was the cheapest flying at only 2 pounds to 2000 ft air tow with a Chipmunk verses 50 pence to 500 feet wench tow.

While in the USAF I was a Flight Engineer on Bell 204 (UH-1F) and Bell 205 (HH-1H) helicopters. Have most of my stick time in these. I have also some time in a C-172. I also was a member of Kansas City Warbirds (www.project777.net) and have some time at the controls of our B-25J Fairfax Ghost which is now in Austria as the Red Bull B-25. Lots of power there. R2600’s love that sound. Also some time in a Beech 18. This was more difficult to fly over anything I have ever done before. A lot of muscle goes into handling that plane.

The last aircraft I was at the controls doesn’t really fly. I have some time in the United Airlines B737-500 Level D sim at the AVSIM Convention in Denver 2004. Lot of fun but man the brakes are so touchy trying to stop. In 2006 I really got a thrill flying with Joe Cygan the United Airlines B777-200 Level D sim. This was the easiest plane to fly. Main reason I choose that as my cockpit build.

No matter fly’s it’s a lot of fun to get at the controls. Cost was always an issue but I always found a way to make it happen. Try using labor to help find your way into the cockpit. It’s worth all the labor even if it’s only a few minutes at the controls.

aviaparts
07-29-2009, 04:45 AM
I am a PPL and member of http://www.nzvc.be/
I allways share my flights with a friend pilot, so we fly double time for the same price and gets us further.
Flying is really expensive in Europe...

Westozy
07-29-2009, 04:47 AM
Gwyn...

I actually thought you were a real airline pilot.....your avatar picture says it all!;-)

I tell the secret! That really is me sat in the Captain's seat of a real Virgin Blue 737, I added clouds and epulettes in Photoshop 6!!! I even repainted the Eicas to look like the engines are running!!! The full size pic does look quite real.

Gwyn :-)

Kennair
07-29-2009, 05:34 AM
Gwyn does this to pull the birds :)

Well I got my marriage and kids out the way first then starting flying post 40. Still at it and just keep dipping into the mortgage. You can't take it with you you know :) Perth Western Australia has some of the most ideal flying weather in the world so there's very few days when you're grounded. Only fly simple craft like C152/172 and now training on the Mooney M20J. Soon to upgrade to full G1000 cockpits on C172's.

Ken.

Jackpilot
07-29-2009, 08:34 AM
gwyn does this to pull the birds :)

well i got my marriage and kids out the way first then starting flying post 40. Still at it and just keep dipping into the mortgage. You can't take it with you you know .

Ken.

way to go....good4u ken!!

CessnaGuy
07-29-2009, 08:39 AM
My girlfriend would be horrified if I spent 8-10k on flying lessons!

I will have to secretly save, but then again she knows how much I want to fly, so I guess I will just have to 'be good' for the next 10 years to be able to do it!

xlonglife
07-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Used to fly:<st1:stockticker> I have PPL</st1:stockticker> with Instrument Rating. Unfortunately thatís now lapsed :cry: due to time constraints. I have about 450 hrs real world experience mostly on Cherokee's, Arrows and Navajos.

Steve

mauriceb
07-29-2009, 09:26 AM
My girlfriend would be horrified if I spent 8-10k on flying lessons!

Find new girlfriend now, one who likes to fly but is afraid to learn to fly :D

Maurice

CessnaGuy
07-29-2009, 09:45 AM
My girlfriend loves flying, glued to Ryanair and Easyjet and always booking flights to Palma, the problem is....me flying the plane...she doesnt understand that bit..

I'm trying to convice her that getting my PPL and hiring a plane in Palma is the way to go to explore her fave country....

But she freaks out when a 737 goes into turbulence....so no chance of her getting in a Cessna...or with me!

She's scared that something might happen to me lol!

She doesn't get it does she....lol

I did try....back to the sim I guess!

Jackpilot
07-29-2009, 10:05 AM
If I follow you Alex..you are a poor student who got a rich girlfriend who flies (scared)to exotic places all the time, ...

Double check Maurice wisdom hereabove......he is darn right!!!

Cheers
Jack.

mauriceb
07-29-2009, 10:17 AM
She's scared that something might happen to me lol!

Love really sucks at times ;). My advice to you then is to pretend to develop a new interest in something cheap, but much more dangerous such as rock climbing without safety ropes, playing chicken in front of coming high speed trains, walking a tight rope between high buildings, taunting outlaw bikers, pointing toy gun at police officers etc...

And then, when she expresses deep concerns about your new interest(s), tell her you'd be willing to give them all up if you could only fulfill your other passion, which is flying of course. She'll be so relieved that she'll buy you the flying lessons. This is the art of negotiation that you need to develop. :D

Maurice

dodiano
07-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi,

Couple of hours on C-152,C-172, Piper Navajo.... Oh and a few more on A-320, A-319, A-321.... But those are the boring ones LOL!!

Take care,

Roberto

CessnaGuy
07-29-2009, 10:20 AM
But you love who your love, and I wouldnt choose an aeroplane over a loved one, no matter how much I love flying / aircraft!

warvet
07-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Yup I fly, more RL now than in my sim unfortunately. But not gonna bother to renew medical just not enjoying it as much anymore more hassle than fun :)
Tim

Jackpilot
07-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Boooooooh....of course old age and weight probably
Jack

rhysb
07-29-2009, 07:40 PM
i have a few hours here and there! :-)

golfbravo
07-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Seems to me that quite a few of us "used to fly", but have given it up for one reason or another. Count me in with that group! I first got my PPL at 19 years old. At that time, it was relatively inexpensive to take lessons (around $18 to $20 (US) per hour for a wet rental on a Cessna 150 or 152, plus another $10 to $12 per hour for the instructor). I can remember renting a Piper Archer for only $24 per hour (wet). Even when I was working on my CPL and Instrument Rating in the early 1980's, I was able to rent a Mooney Ranger for the mere sum of $40 per hour. My brother and I owned a 10-year old Piper Cherokee 140 in the early 1980's with only 640 hours since new (when we bought it), which was destroyed a year later while sitting on the ground by a fierce thunderstorm with softball sixed hail and 90 mph winds. It looked like someone took a hammer the entire airplane, breaking all windows and filling the cabin floor and instrument panel with water. This is the best part - the insurance payoff at that time was only $12,500! The amazing thing is that the aircraft was sold by the insurance company to a salvage company, who completely restored all damage. The aircraft is still flying today (in California).

Imagine being able to buy a 10-year old aircraft today with low total time for only $12,500! At that price, it wouldn't have an engine, wings or avionics!

I continued to rent after that until 1987, when I had a house built. I miss flying IRL, but at today's cost I don't miss the excessive expense.

Gerald Byrne 8-)

autocadplease
07-29-2009, 08:04 PM
If you really want to blow some money - buy a plane!

Jackpilot
07-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey Guys...wake up

here in North America a wet 152 for one hour is around $100.

tell me if one hour a month, or a total budget of $1200 per year is out of reach !!
No way, by any measure .
A monthly dinner friday evening with your girl is about that!

One hour a month... you can stay current, and do not forget that we have sims to help!

And that one hour a month is sheer fun, to be shared with your kids (if your sweetheart does not take off on it). Remember? tearing off clouds with the tip of the wing, going on top in that blue white light, gliding back on a sunny day with Fall colors under....teaching your little ones how to...
No Sim can do that (for your passengers anyway)
Come on ! blaming the cost of flying is nonsense.

Keep current guys, for the sheer fun of it and the PRIDE TO BE A PILOT !!!

GRRRRRR!

Drewsta
07-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Sure do :) I fly Cessna Caravan Amphibians and Beavers every day around the Whitsundays:) Im working on a 767-300 simulator at the moment.

Happy sim building :)

Drewsta

mauriceb
07-29-2009, 09:49 PM
I fully agree with Jack. Sims are a blast but nothing beats the real thing. And I'll go one further, the small risks associated with real flight are something that no sim can duplicate and those risks are one of the many things that make real flight so exciting.

Maurice

Jackpilot
07-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Sure do :) I fly Cessna Caravan Amphibians and Beavers every day around the Whitsundays:) Im working on a 767-300 simulator at the moment.

Happy sim building :)

Drewsta

Good for you man, the Caravan is a he.. of an airplane, I know that wheening sound, slow strong, big....yep
Are your Beavers PT6 converted ?
Enjoy,

warvet
07-30-2009, 10:00 AM
hahaahahaha OMG Rhys now thats funny. Rhys is a 767 Air Canada pilot with 1000s of hours, here and there my ***. LOL
Tim

i have a few hours here and there! :-)

warvet
07-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Jack,
Its more than 100 hr my friend when everything is figured into it. Its not an inexpensive as people think. And on top of it theres so much hassle in RL flying compared to sims.And your not going very far very fast in a 152 sardine can.

Tim

Hey Guys...wake up

here in North America a wet 152 for one hour is around $100.

tell me if one hour a month, or a total budget of $1200 per year is out of reach !!
No way, by any measure .
A monthly dinner friday evening with your girl is about that!

One hour a month... you can stay current, and do not forget that we have sims to help!

And that one hour a month is sheer fun, to be shared with your kids (if your sweetheart does not take off on it). Remember? tearing off clouds with the tip of the wing, going on top in that blue white light, gliding back on a sunny day with Fall colors under....teaching your little ones how to...
No Sim can do that (for your passengers anyway)
Come on ! blaming the cost of flying is nonsense.

Keep current guys, for the sheer fun of it and the PRIDE TO BE A PILOT !!!

GRRRRRR!

Jake 747 400
07-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi.
I I went up in a cessna 150 a few times when I was 8 years old, I started learning when I was 15, Im now 16 have flown solo and have almost 20 hours, about 18, 20 mins I think, flew solo at 13 hrs 15 mins, great feeling.
Im sorry to hear that others have had to give it up.
My dream is to be a 747 captain, thats all I ever wanted to be.
Like many have said if you want it so much and you have passion then you will make it, if you do intend on learning to fly, good luck and I hope it all goes well for you.
Keep looking skywards.
Jake.

mauriceb
07-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Jack,
Its more than 100 hr my friend when everything is figured into it. Its not an inexpensive as people think. And on top of it theres so much hassle in RL flying compared to sims.And your not going very far very fast in a 152 sardine can.

Tim

The bigger obstacle in my opinion is not so much the $100.00 or so an hour but the fact that unless you own the plane, you have to fly solo at least once a month or you cannot rent a plane at most, if not all FBO's because of their insurance regulations.

So, if you miss the one month deadline before you fly again because of weather or any other reason, you have to go for a checkride with an instructor first before they will rent you an airplane and that becomes very expensive, especially in a 172 if you don't like 'sardine cans'. ;)

Definitely not a cheap hobby, but are there really exciting hobbies that are cheap? :D

Maurice

mauriceb
07-30-2009, 10:33 AM
My dream is to be a 747 captain, thats all I ever wanted to be.

Jake.

Jake,

You really have to pick another dream. By the time you make captain of big iron, most of the 747's will be gathering dust in the Arizona desert, so best to aim for captain of a 787 or heaven forbid, some kind of Airbus :roll: :D.

Maurice

Jackpilot
07-30-2009, 10:58 AM
The bigger obstacle in my opinion is not so much the $100.00 or so an hour but the fact that unless you own the plane, you have to fly solo at least once a month or you cannot rent a plane at most, if not all FBO's because of their insurance regulations.Maurice

60 days actually if you have more than 100 hours TT.
Quite reasonnable. and assuming you miss the deadline it is always interesting either to refresh with a sharp instructor or ask to practice specific manoeuvers that you may not attempt alone, like spirals, full power stalls , full spins, etc...always interesting for a little extra $50 or $70.. Cheap thrill I would say.

BTW Tim a 152 is much more fun to play with than most heavier GA, it is a crisp little bugger, and if you can put your hands on an Aerobat version! (which I do) yahooooooo!
As I said before ...much cheaper than a Home Cinema .
Jack

CessnaGuy
07-30-2009, 11:03 AM
That's the one thing I didn't like about flying, was the stall that the instructor willingly did to show me how to recover from it, it scared me alittle as it felt like a sudden free-fall, it done some kind of corkscrew downwards but luckily it was only for a few seconds!

Jackpilot
07-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Here in Canada, not only stalls but full spins (three turns)were mandatory training when I learned....most of us had serious apprehensions at spin time!!
Normal. but
1) you get to enjoy that very fast
2) It can save your skin because most fatal spins happen when the airplane is turnig on final, at slow speed, with one low wing and close to the ground ie: time to correct your mistake is about 3 seconds, better be repared.

Note: FS9 does not spin properly.

mauriceb
07-30-2009, 11:39 AM

Note: FS9 does not spin properly.

Neither does FSX. And I'm with you, spin training should be required. I took 10 hours of aerobatic lessons in a Decathlon and and one hour in an open cockpit Pitts special and after the one hour doing flips in the Pitts, it took me one week to get back on the ground, figuratively of course. That by far was the greatest thrill I have ever had in my entire life.

Maurice

CessnaGuy
07-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Very True Jack...again as said it is there to save your life, not to scare the living daylights out of you and make you scared of flying!

I guess if you have it in your mind and heart that there is nothing to worry about while doing the recovery and that your in good hands with the instructor, then that should be peace of mind atleast!

Still pretty scary though!

I'm glad that I am not the only one thinking that the stall it a little daunting at times!

autocadplease
07-30-2009, 01:29 PM
I remember my first spin - I thought if this is what flying is about I'm done! But after a few they became fun and easy. Spins are very easy to recover from, in fact I have never heard of anyone failing their flight test because of it. Slow flight steep turns on the other hand are difficult because you are on the back side of the power/drag curve.
I remember on my commercial license flight test the examiner put me in a spin "under the hood". Once I recognized it, the recovery was easy. The examiner even said "easy eh".

Those you are interested my old flight school has a great website with tons of info http://selair.selkirk.bc.ca/

Jackpilot
07-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Alex
Stall is one thing, wings level, nose up until the bird quits flying, nose down (by itself) gather speed ...out.

Spin is a stall with one wing lower, and then it goes down corkscrewing , at a constant speed though. Right to the daisies if you do not counter it.

From what you say you experienced a spin. A stall is fairly gentle..

Jackpilot
07-30-2009, 01:45 PM
one hour doing flips in the Pitts, it took me one week to get back on the ground, figuratively of course. Maurice

Probably one of the most difficult and rewarding airplane....there is a JPS Pitts at the Ottawa Air museum...a jewel!

dodiano
07-30-2009, 09:49 PM
The C-152 is one of the best Aircraft's I have ever flown! It is an amazing and fun plane to fly!

Crescent
07-31-2009, 05:57 PM
I've been working as a commercial helicopter pilot for the last ten years. I work as an instructor throughout the winter and contract to whoever in the summers.

fweinrebe
07-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Neither does FSX. And I'm with you, spin training should be required. I took 10 hours of aerobatic lessons in a Decathlon and and one hour in an open cockpit Pitts special and after the one hour doing flips in the Pitts, it took me one week to get back on the ground, figuratively of course. That by far was the greatest thrill I have ever had in my entire life.

Maurice

I also did some 5 hours training in a Pitts Special. That was also the greatest thrill I ever had. Wish I did some more.

If I can just get my hands on a real PC-9M grrrr. :evil:

Photon
08-02-2009, 01:09 AM
Used to fly as a commercial pilot. I flew smaller twins (Cessna 421 & 320). Then I got married and had a child - had to give up flying as a career, so I built a sim!

Ditto.

I used to own and fly Excalibur Beech Queenairs on night fright, .. er freight, but circumstances changed, partly family, partly business. Then flew for a couple of other operators but I wasn't happy with their poor standard of aircraft. But I needed to be home each day for the family. So I got into my own ground support business and now I work for only 10% of the time I did flying but for more money!

Peter.

autocadplease
08-02-2009, 01:42 AM
So I got into my own ground support business and now I work for only 10% of the time I did flying but for more money!

Peter.

Good for you!!!

ganesh
08-02-2009, 02:31 AM
HI,
Am still flying since 1999...... started with a C-152.....and today am a Capt. on the 737Ng .....Total time = 7700 hrs ....on 737Ngs= 6700hrs....AS Capt. on the 737s = 3600hrs...Also a Check Pilot on the 737s.(Trainer).

Total time on Fs = 15000hrs and counting since the year 1998......Just cant get enough of it.

Capt Ganesh Tiwari

autocadplease
08-02-2009, 01:22 PM
HI,
Am still flying since 1999...... started with a C-152.....and today am a Capt. on the 737Ng .....Total time = 7700 hrs ....on 737Ngs= 6700hrs....AS Capt. on the 737s = 3600hrs...Also a Check Pilot on the 737s.(Trainer).

Total time on Fs = 15000hrs and counting since the year 1998......Just cant get enough of it.

Capt Ganesh Tiwari

Living the dream. Way to go!

Nick Quirke
11-07-2009, 03:56 AM
Currently flying C206's in australia. Qualified on GA8 Airvans and C310's with MECIR

Drewsta
11-07-2009, 07:26 AM
Ive been flying for 20 years and I'm currently flying Amphib Caravans and Beavers around the Whitsunday islands Australia. "Beats working" :)

Goldmember
11-07-2009, 07:30 AM
I cant afford to fly in reallife

Hmm, sometimes I think real life flying is cheaper. For the cost of a complete 737 sim you can easily get your licence. And I've heard from real life pilots as soon as you mention you can fly, everybody has little assignments for you to cover the cost.

:-D

Nick Quirke
11-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Drewsta that with Air Whitsunday? ever run into a guy they called "awesome"?

flatlandpilot
11-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm a paraglider,
and started "flying over the map" with Google earth using my Brauniger ;)

t1dUs
11-08-2009, 04:16 AM
I got my license a few months ago :D:D and right now I'm finishing the instructor course

Crescent
11-08-2009, 04:53 AM
I fly out of Kelowna, BC. I'm a commercial helicopter pilot by trade and love every minute of it....well, most of it. Hehe.

Autocadplease, you know what I mean!

Hakan Halen
11-08-2009, 05:29 AM
I'm a retired flight instructor and bush pilot. Mostly on floats or skies in the Swedish mountain area in a C185 or a C206. Here in a Saab Safir!

Peter_Pilot
11-08-2009, 05:47 AM
Serious Flying - Gliding Silver C 150hrs, PPL C152/C172 55hrs

Casual stick time - DH Chipmunk & Tiger Moth approx 20hrs (too much of it upside down!), various spamcans 20hrs, Jetstream 31 1hr, Jet Provost Mk5 30mins, Piston Provost 1hr, various turbine helicopters 6hrs and (lucky me) a warbird 1hr.

I gave up serious flying because it didn't leave me enough time for my sim. cockpit and other hobbies. It is definely worth doing some real world flying as it will certainly enhance the enjoyment and satisfaction to be had from your simulated flying.

Peter Pilot.

venenoso
11-08-2009, 12:50 PM
AT-802 , SR2 G10 / T45 , M18 , G-164 A, cropduster 3 months a year , the rest of the year a wildfire pilot.

davemckee
11-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Licensed and flying since 1964, medical though expired. Flown single engine, up to and including a DC-3. I am enjoying my new found hobby, sim flying. Dave

autocadplease
11-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Autocadplease, you know what I mean!

Yes, I do! Can recall a few "valley crawls" I would like to forget about.
Crescent, were you on the fires this year (Westbank, Glenrosa, Lillooet,etc)? The rotorheads here in Nelson said it was a "gravy train" this year! MOF just kept sending cheques!

totalflyer
11-09-2009, 07:38 PM
I just got my CPL at the end of June. I have my Multi-IFR and now at the end of the month I'm set to start my instructor rating... I have about 305 hours real flight time.

Flown C-150, C-172 (M, R & S models) DA-40 (G1000 was awesome), PA-28 family (140, 160, 180, 201R) and the Beech 95 Travelair. Also been up in a Zlin aerobatic... (There's nothing like looking up through the canopy and seeing Lake Ontario).

I have also had the fortunate experience of being in the Air Canada A320 sims here in Toronto... (Yes my decision to go the bus route was based on that...) and I have also been in the Flight Safety Dash 8-Q400 and the -200 sim at Downsview...

autocadplease
11-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Beech 95 Travelair
I did my twin engine training at Selkirk College (Selair) http://selair.selkirk.bc.ca/Simulations.html in a Travelair. You don't see too many of those anymore.

totalflyer
11-09-2009, 08:46 PM
I did my Multi-IFR at Perimeter in Winnipeg... they have a fleet of three of them... They are such a nice plane to fly... It was nice to be able to do real IFR flying. The experience I got from flying in actual IFR and known icing it was incredible.

I attached a couple of pics to show a little ice we picked up one flight...

autocadplease
11-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Wow, your Travelair had boots, nice!
We did our training down around YVR/YXX/YYJ during the summer, so icing wasn't usually an issue.

Thanks for the pics!

totalflyer
11-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Yeah Perimeter went all out on those planes.
They have a sweet IFR setup with a HSI, RMI, a KLN 90B IFR cert GPS, Deicing Boots, Hot Plate on the windshield, Alcohol Props.

They were excellent aircraft and very well maintained.

If anyone ever asks for my recommendation I will always say them.
The one things that does suck a little bit is the Flow Control that gets put in place by the Winnipeg Area controllers sometimes because there are some shifts that they are short bodies.