PDA

View Full Version : Opencockpits FMC USB connector too long

Goldmember
07-26-2009, 11:22 AM
I like the OC products, I really do, but sometimes... :roll:

The FMC USB connector is positioned so low that the USB connector sticks out of the FMC at the lower side. But there's no room in the CDU bay because it's not deeper than the hight of the FMC. I'll have to mcgyver something but I'm sure I'm not the first. Suggestions would be very welcome.

makoy
07-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Weard, why they havent put Usb connection under of unit, better that way :roll:

ian@737ng.co.uk
07-26-2009, 01:43 PM
the Engravity unit has the same type of connection, but we also have the power supply lead along side.
for the next generation of units, maybe designers could look at some form of 'dual entry' connection, one on the underside for actual builders and one on the bottom (as now) for users who want to simply lay the unit flat.
not bitching at all, i love my Engravity CDU.....wouldn't be without it and the cable entry, i've just learned to live with .....
enjoy your day chaps...... ian

Goldmember
07-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Weard, why they havent put Usb connection under of unit, better that way :roll:

It is underneath the unit but only so close to the edge that the unit doesn't fit in the CDU bay when the USB cable is attached. When it is loose, the unit fits perfectly and the measurements are exact to the millimeter compared to real cockpits.

The only way I see now is to turn around the little PCB where the USB connector is on. This way it points upwards instead of downwards. The PCB also holds a 40 pin connector with a flat cable going to another PCB. When I lengthen the flat cable, this should work. I fortunately have a roll and a clamp to attach connectors. I'll post pics of whatever I sort out.