PDA

View Full Version : Dual Headset

renegade
07-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi,
Any idea how I can use two headsets ( Saitek ) in my cockpit.
Do I need 2 sound cards or do I have to play with connections and switches ?
thanks and fly safe

Gerry

Trevor Hale
07-03-2009, 11:39 PM
goto your local circuit city (or non bankrupt electronics store) and by 1/8" Y adapters, and plug both Mic's into your mic input and both headphones into the speaker output and you are golden.

Trev

Bob Reed
07-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Another way to do it would be to buy 2 USB head sets. Just plug them in.

renegade
07-06-2009, 01:28 AM
Trevor and Bob

Thank you for answer,for once it looks easy...

fly safe
Gerry

NigelD
07-06-2009, 05:48 AM
Another way to do it would be to buy 2 USB head sets. Just plug them in.

Hi Bob - are you sure that works? Has anyone tested it? I seem to recall a similar thread here about this, and someone said only the first headset plugged in would work. The second would not.

Anyone able to confirm or deny?!

Nigel.

Bob Reed
07-06-2009, 08:11 AM
I have used dual USB headsets. Not on my sim but another. They worked fine. This was not for FS sound but for a intercom. I will have to look around and see what we used for software I do not remeber.

Hi Bob - are you sure that works? Has anyone tested it? I seem to recall a similar thread here about this, and someone said only the first headset plugged in would work. The second would not.

Anyone able to confirm or deny?!

Nigel.

Drewsta
10-13-2010, 07:18 AM
goto your local circuit city (or non bankrupt electronics store) and by 1/8" Y adapters, and plug both Mic's into your mic input and both headphones into the speaker output and you are golden.

Trev

Hey Trev, is there a way to hear squawkbox or atc only through a headset and all other sounds through speakers yet?
Thanks
Drewsta

rjvcarvalho
10-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Hey Trev, is there a way to hear squawkbox or atc only through a headset and all other sounds through speakers yet?
Thanks
Drewsta

Yes, i use that on my setup, just go to audio propreties and assign the voice device to the headseat and the mic as whell and that's it.

Nick1150
10-14-2010, 03:49 AM
Yes, i use that on my setup, just go to audio propreties and assign the voice device to the headseat and the mic as whell and that's it.
You are talking about a USB headset, right ?

Nick1150
10-14-2010, 03:53 AM
Can I make a second question too ?

Some headsets (Saitek for instance) have a push button. How can one assign this button to squawkbox ?

Holclo
10-14-2010, 04:36 AM
If you do not have a USB headset - you can also use a USB Audio Adapter (99p on ebay) and plug a non USB headset into that. Then you can have FS Sounds via computer speakers and Vatsim/Ivao through the headset.
Bill

blueskydriver
10-14-2010, 04:41 AM
For FSX, you know that you assign the sound card to one portion of the program, such as the aircraft sounds; thus, normally you hook it up to your external speakers. The USB headset works like another sound card and normally you set that for Voice/ATC.

Earlier, you asked about the two headsets and a reply says use 1/8 adapters. That is correct, you'll need two of them. However, that means you'll need two sound cards in the computer. One for external sounds and the other for Voice/ATC.

As for your question about a button for Squawk Box (SB), you just setup a button in FSUIPC. I think there is even an exact assignment made for this in FSUIPC. If you're using multiple computers and you have SB on another machine, then use FSUIPC/WideFS to setup the button function to occur on the network computer.

Nick1150
10-14-2010, 04:56 AM
Thanks for both answers, eventhought the first ine was made by Renegade, not me.

Nick

rjvcarvalho
10-14-2010, 06:19 AM
Can I make a second question too ?

Some headsets (Saitek for instance) have a push button. How can one assign this button to squawkbox ?

Yes, just assign the PTT option on the button screen of FSUIP.

rjvcarvalho
10-14-2010, 06:21 AM
You are talking about a USB headset, right ?

Yes, the only way you can use two normal headset's is by having two sound cards or usb headsets that trick the computer to thinking it has a second sound card.

Nick1150
10-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks,

Already done that !!!!

Unfortunately I bought the Microsoft Lifechat LX-3000headset (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/digitalcommunication/productdetails.aspx?pid=006), and its buttons, after few minutes of experimenting cannot be programmed. Maybe I am wrong....

Nevertheless I already did a radio check and works fine !!!

Thanks again

Nick

Drewsta
10-14-2010, 10:20 AM

Hi Ricardo, I tried that and I can still hear SB atc through main speakers and also everything through the headsets? Do you only hear SB atc through your headset? Will that only work with usb headsets?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320561981977&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I just bought this adapter, maybe that will do the trick.

Cheers
Drewsta

Drewsta
10-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Hey all, I have been playing around with different settings and volumes using a standard non usb headset, to try and get the sqauwkbox atc through my headset and not the main speakers. To no avail. I can hear all sounds through both headset and main speakers. Just to confirm please, is it possible to get the atc sound only through the headset and not the main speakers, using a standard non usb headset? If so could someone please let me know where and what settings to use if possible. I do have a usb adapter for the standard headset coming if i do need one. I am using FS2004 not FSX.

thanks in advance
Drewsta

Nick1150
10-19-2010, 01:22 AM
Hi,

Unfortunately, since the sound is exported from one source and you have connected 3 devices, then you will get the same sound from all devices. It is not possible to choose only ATC voice when it comes out of the sound card together with FS sounds. At least that is what I can understand. If anyone has a solution in this I would be interested in finding the way.

To do that you need two audio outputs, which means

a. Two sound cards (or one sound card with more than two different outputs... there are such in the market) or

b. One sound card and one usb headset, tricking the PC that the usb headset is a second sound card or

c. One sound card and one usb audio adapter with ordinary 1/8 headset.

To my understanding,

solution (a) can give you both FS audio from the one output and also dual headset from the second output through 2 ordinary 1/8 headsets

solution (b) can give you both FS audio from the one output and ONLY ONE usb headset from the second output through usb connection

solution (c) can give you both FS audio from the one output and also dual headset from the second usb output through 2 ordinary 1/8 headsets connected to the usb adaptor.

I would appreciate the more experience to drop in and tell me if I am right :cool:

Nick1150
10-19-2010, 01:26 AM
solution (b) can give you both FS audio from the one output and ONLY ONE usb headset from the second output through usb connection

And another USB question.... Has anyone connected two USB headsets on the same PC (same USB headsets), and was able to hear and speak to ATC from both headsets (C/O & F/O) ?

Thanks

Nick1150
10-20-2010, 03:04 AM
Yesterday I did solution (c)... see above

I already had a Saitek Pro flight headset (http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/headset.html), so I purchased another one for the F/O... Also purchased a Creative Soundblaster X-FI GO (http://www.creative.com/soundblaster/), together with two 3.5mm audio adapters and cables from my local shop. All true PnP, no drivers needed. After installation I changed the input and output from the drop down menus of the voice tabs of squackbox and the result was for the C/O and the F/O to both hear and speak from both headsets. I have to say that the Saitek Pro Flight are very very very beatiful and have excelent audio quality.... Too expensive though...

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu109/Nick1150/My%20Cockpit/IMG_0306.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu109/Nick1150/My%20Cockpit/IMG_0305.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu109/Nick1150/My%20Cockpit/IMG_0304.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu109/Nick1150/My%20Cockpit/IMG_0303.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu109/Nick1150/My%20Cockpit/IMG_0302.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu109/Nick1150/My%20Cockpit/IMG_0323.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu109/Nick1150/My%20Cockpit/IMG_0324.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu109/Nick1150/My%20Cockpit/IMG_0321.jpg

Thanks

nax228
10-22-2010, 04:31 AM
Is there a conclusion on the matter?
I to want both headsets to be able to talk to ATC/Squawkbox AND function as a intercom.

Drewsta
10-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Hey guys the sound now works perfectly. The usb adapter for my standard headset arrived. I simply plugged the standard headset into the adapter and then plugged that into the usb port of my computer. It recognised it straight away and made that familiar "sound" when you plug something in a usb port. I set the voice to be used with the usb headset and also made it so inside the sqawkbox options for voice. The option was now there to use the usb heaset for voice etc. So now i can have all the normal Flightsim sounds through the main speakers and all squawkbox ATC transmissions are heard through the headset only, just like the real thing. Now the only question is will that work with another usb adapter and headset on the same computer??

Cheers
Drewsta

Nick1150
10-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Now the only question is will that work with another usb adapter and headset on the same computer?? Why connect another usb adaptor ?

All you have to do is buy two $1 3.5mm voice adaptors (see pics below and above) and connect the both headsets on the already installed usb sound adaptor ;)

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu109/Nick1150/My%20Cockpit/IMG_0304.jpg

Nick1150
10-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Is there a conclusion on the matter?
I to want both headsets to be able to talk to ATC/Squawkbox AND function as a intercom.
Hi to all,

I just landed safely at LGTS (Thessaloniki airport) :D

Dual headsets were tested with my wife onboard. I can confirm what I suspected... Since both headsets are connected in parallel, yes both do function as an intercom too !!! The feeling of talking with the F/O and vice versa and listening the ATC at the same time is SO realistic ;)

I am a happy guy :cool:

Sean Nixon
10-23-2010, 05:00 AM
I just landed safely at LGTS (Thessaloniki airport) :D

I was there a couple of weeks ago, here's me on top of Mytikas (summit of Mt. Olympus).

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4368&d=1287823596

Dual headsets were tested with my wife onboard. I can confirm what I suspected... Since both headsets are connected in parallel, yes both do function as an intercom too !!! The feeling of talking with the F/O and vice versa and listening the ATC at the same time is SO realistic ;)

I am a happy guy :cool:

That's fantastic news. Thanks Nick.

Getting back to Thessaloniki, we had quite an adventurous departure. High ground to the South prevented our Thomas Cook A321 departing into wind off runway 16, so it was to be a tailwind departure off runway 34. First attempt was aborted due to strong wind, so we came back and sat at the start of 34 for about 5 minutes until the wind was deemed calm enough, then we gunned it down the runway, rotating just short of the bay!

nax228
10-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Great report Nick!! Your wife deserve a big thanks to ;)

I got a few headsets lying around, but they are all USB headsets. I guess that won't work as your solution, but I'll give it a try and see if there is anything in the settings that can be altered. It should be able to do this softwarevice to. I'll google it.
Not around the sim this weekend, so I have to test another day.

saabpilot
10-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Not sure if this helps anyone, but my config is like this:

Dual modified standard headsets with only the mics in parallell and connected.
This ensures VATSIM send possibilities for both CPT and F/O
VATSIM is in another - non FS computer in my LAN

Headsets modified with the headphones from a cheap motorcycle intercom. cost 40
MC boom mic attached to the headset boom thus giving each headset dual microphones.
This ensures the intercom traffic.

MC Intercom has a AUX in (for MP3 and the likes) - this is connected to VATSIM computer headset out.
This gives the VATSIM ATC sound in the modded headphones.

Backdraw - dual mics and the extra intercom cable attached to the original (headphone MIC) cable.

The above only works when you have different computers for ATC.
The "regular FS sound" goes from the FS computer to speakers for environment sounds. (Engines and other)

To be able to hear only ATC in a headset in a single PC system and still hear the engine sound in speakers I believe only requires changed audio settings in Squawkbox - you direct the Squawkbox output sound to the headset. If that does not work - use a USB headset.

Bjorn

saabpilot
09-16-2012, 07:50 AM
More on dual headsets ...

I have now replaced the MC intercom with an USB headset "dongle" with analogue output.
Attached to that one are 3 lines (analogue headset cables) for CPT, F/O and observer seats.
In this way they will share the sound AND all three will have amplified automatic intercom as a bonus !

An extra "line" is also connected with separate amplified cockpit speakers (for ATC and EGPWS warning sounds).
All in all a very cheap and reliable system - the dongle cost was only some 10 US$ here in Sweden !!!

Bjorn
Boeing 737NG Simulator Project (http://www.boeing737sim.se)

oal331
09-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Hello Bjorn,

please, is it possible to post or send me a photo with the solution above? . Did you connect them all to spliters from USB Soundcard's exits?

regards

Eddie

saabpilot
10-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Hi Eddie,

Photo not needed I believe.
You only connect the headsets to one or more Y splitters from the USB soundcard (dongle).
Dirt cheap and in my case 100% good solution.

Bjorn

oal331
10-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Ok thank you Bjorn, i found the Y splitters.

Eddie

saabpilot
10-31-2012, 08:06 AM
Thread "revisited" :-))

To connect dual headsets:
Use an USB-Analogue "dongle" and attach 2 analogue headsets via an Y-cable.
This will make sound/mic working via both headsets and also gives full intercom between them.

If you need you can also put in an extra Y cable and connect it to amplified PC speakers.

Dual USB headsets will not work as they become 2 new "sound cards" and FS /SB can only use one.

Best,
Bjorn

Boeing 737NG Simulator Project (http://www.boeing737sim.se)

tiburon
01-11-2013, 01:45 AM
Doesn't it bother anyone that with a headset on you can't hear all the beautiful sounds from your aircraft anymore ?

Martin

nax228
01-14-2013, 10:20 AM
I use "light" headsets that leave me hearing motors, bells and whistles AND the communication from ATC. These are rather cheap models and not for HiFi listening.

I tried the dual Y-split now, but it have a delay that is very irritating, so I skipped the intercom function. It did work, but I could hear my self a second or so later after speaking.

tiburon
01-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Could you name the model you're using? Is it comfortable enough?

nax228
01-15-2013, 09:32 AM
as simple as it get, but it does the trick:
Exibel headset - EXIBEL | Clas Ohlson (http://www.clasohlson.com/no/Exibel-headset/Pr384243000)

meistereder
07-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Hi,
just bought a real GA Headset today, the feeling is really great. Unfortunately after reading through your posts it seems that I can not go for intercome-like solution with a second usb-headser (the ga one is used with an adapter thus like an usb headset then).

FSX just allows me to either use one or the other, what is very sad. Do you know where in Europe to buy cheap mobile realworld intercoms? Any further support appreciated.

Thanks, Alfred

CessnaGuy
07-15-2013, 05:13 AM
Intercoms are not generally cheap. They start at about 80ish in the UK. They are powered by a 12v power supply, which is connected to the aircraft's battery, this provides the power needed to power the GA headsets. So, thinking of this you will need to find a way to power it too, unless you buy a 9v version that uses a battery. Dont forget many intercoms depend on what radio equipment is used, so the connectors maybe alien to you and you will need a way of converting it some how, and that I don't know i'm afraid. I am just going by the intercom that is in my flying clubs 152.

Good luck!

Alex

Nick1150
07-16-2013, 07:26 AM
I use "light" headsets that leave me hearing motors, bells and whistles AND the communication from ATC. These are rather cheap models and not for HiFi listening.

I tried the dual Y-split now, but it have a delay that is very irritating, so I skipped the intercom function. It did work, but I could hear my self a second or so later after speaking.Nax,

You are right on this!

I managed to get used to this phenomenon, so it is ok with me.

Other than that, if one wants a real intercom, he could get one from the local bike market. Many bike intercoms are now available in any local market, and I guess this is not something expensive to buy...

meistereder
07-21-2013, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the hints Alex! After the first flight with the GA headset I will not use anything else any more, it is very much enhancing the feeling! If you have a link to one of those cheaper intercoms, pls post. I should handle the power supply, but do not understand which intercom would be suiting my standard GA headsets (why are there differences?).

Alternatively it would be an idea to use my two networked computers and get some ip based link for them. Will try that.

Best, Alfred