PDA

View Full Version : VR Insight MCP Combo Panel anygood?

Deano
06-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Hiya all

I have been looking at the VR Insight MCP Combo Panel. I'm finding it har to find a review about this unit. I have searched on this site but not come up with anything other than a for sale thread from a few months back.

I know its not going to compete with some of the better MCP's from goflight etc, but I am on a VERY tight budget and I fly ALOT of different aircraft, mainly light props but also have the odd blast about in the 747 or the MD11 both by PMDG. So I would need a unit that could reasonably cater for both. anyone have any thoughts on the unit? or if it is a terrible choice could anyone recommend an equivalent for the style of flying I do. Like I say I fly a lot of light props and heavy iron so its a hard choice.

Many Thanks
Dean.

davek
06-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Hi Dean
I havent seen one but there was a write up in PC pilot mag in issue 60
the author said in his conclusions

"its a good generic alternative"
"felt very realistic"
"integrates well with FS"
"build quality is very good"
"7 segment displays are bright, esp in dark cockpit"
"no backlighting"
"coompatable with MSFS, and addons such as PMDG and LevelD"
"one year warrenty and good value for money"

I was considering buying one but decided on the goflight.

Its a new toy so someone has to buy the first one and share the experience
hope that helps
cheers
Dave

Geremy Britton
06-12-2009, 09:11 AM
I think Ian has the VRInsight MCP (http://www.737ng.co.uk/help.htm) and he reported it to be good. However apparently the FMC combo with PMDG is very poor. So watch out for that if you are using PMDG.

I personally went the GoFlight route but the choice is yours. A member was selling the VRINSight MCP about a month ago on ebay. You're slightly too late to have got that bargain.

Anyway let us know what decision you come to. Please research both modules before buying to make sure it will work with your add ons, system etc.

Kind Regards

airbus319
06-12-2009, 10:23 AM
I had one but sold it when I started to get serious, overall it worked well, the PMDG planes needed you to copy over a new config file to allow the device to work with there aircraft, the 757 / 767 by PSS worked much better as the files for them were deigned by the CDK that comes with them.

I think since I purchased mine the key files have been updated and are more accurate now than before.

All in all it's a solid device but for the money you could buy opencockpit bits and achieve the same result for roughly the same price or maybe even go down the second hand market

David.

Deano
06-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks you very much in taking the time to reply guys.

I just checked the website you linked and this "DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY. They are a SACK OF S**T!" caught my attention LOL. I'm guessing that sums up the VR insight then?

Hmmm its a very hard decision to make. If I only flew the heavies then I wouldn't even think twice about the Goflight. Its a shame as the Insight looked like such a promising peace of kit for someone with my flying style.

Thanks guys, I'm going to have to ponder this one for a bit.

Dean.

Jackpilot
06-12-2009, 02:08 PM
What about this one from GoFlight too..? generic enough and well proven. $324

http://www.goflightinc.com/order/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=41

dvincent
06-12-2009, 03:53 PM
The Opencockpit MCP seems better to me. Fully programmable and supported by lots of software.

However... that's just my opinion.

davek
06-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Dean
I ordered this one

http://www.simpilot.com/servlet/the-54/Integrated-Combination-Console/Detail

which is on special. At least the Goflight stuff is proven on the market now

NigelD
06-13-2009, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=Deano;83218]Thanks you very much in taking the time to reply guys.

I just checked the website you linked and this "DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY. They are a SACK OF S**T!" caught my attention LOL. I'm guessing that sums up the VR insight then?

QUOTE]

Hi,
That summed up the FMC unit as far as I remember... I went to visit Ian before Christmas and he told me if I bought one of the FMC units he would never speak to me again! He was happier with the MCP unit. I've read the review mentioned above in PC Pilot magazine too. They seemed to like it!

Nigel.

Spyah
09-19-2009, 09:32 AM
i own the MCP COmbo unit , and it works very good actualy.
it works with evry stock aircraft and it also works flawlessly with the pmdg , only have to copy a cfg file into pmdg dir. and it runs perfect .

i just want it to work with Project magenta MCP to , and by keystrokes via fsuipc it does work only it does not sync the Displays with the PM MCP.

twisted8
09-21-2009, 11:08 AM
I have it too and I think it's great for the money. I does the job of several units. MCP/EFIS/NAV/COM, I use it with level-d 767. No problems. My only complain ares that it doesn't display the vertical speed on the LCD screen and sometimes the rotary knobs can be jumpy with the values.

For a more realistic simpit I will eventually upgrade to opencockpit units but for now it does the job.

madaz
02-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi everyone, I have found the mcp combo to be good. The build quality is good. It is heavier than it look. Straight out of the box it works flawlessly with all the default FSX aircraft and the level-d 767. With a little bit of tinkering I managed to get the pmdg 744 and the realair duke b60 working but not as flawlessly as the level d obviosly due to pmdg not releasing their SDK so vrinsight can produce a module for it.

Dislikes-no backlighting Poor english in the manual. Switch indicator lights would be a good improvement so you can tell which switches are engaged.