PDA

View Full Version : sound with headsets

coppermasonry
06-06-2009, 08:15 PM
This might be a dumb question but I am building my sim and going to use fsx with vox atc. I am going to have a surround sound built inside my cockpit for sound of the aircraft but i want a headset for communication sound. How is this done and what do i need. Thanks for all the help

Trevor Hale
06-06-2009, 08:56 PM
I am not sure how you want to do it, but what I do is Run VATSIM on another computer in the network, and have my "Real aviation Intercom" connected to the microphone and headset outputs of the VATSIM Computer. Then I have surround sound coming form my flight simulator computer.

Trev

GARich
06-07-2009, 12:52 AM
For a single PC solution, I use a simple USB sound adapter to connect my headset. I got one on E-bay for a few pounds. Make sure the adapter is showing in your control panel sound settings and then under Options>Settings>Sound, select the USB device for the Voice setting.

coppermasonry
06-07-2009, 11:02 AM
I want to be able to use the goflight atc panel and if I get a usb headset it will not plug into the panel. Is this correct. I am only using one computer so I was thinking the atc panel corrected this problem with having atc sound only for the headset and the rest of audio out of speakers

GARich
06-07-2009, 02:16 PM
It all depends on how the GoFlight ATC panel audio is handled. Provided it shows up as a separate audio device to your speakers in your OS then it should work. It would be worth checking with GoFlight.

I bought VOXATC a while ago and its voice uses a different audio channel to FSX ATC. This means even though you might have ATIS reading back through your headphones, VOXATC still comes through the main speakers. I dont tend to use VOXATC now. It didn't quite live up to my expectations.

Geremy Britton
06-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I too have VoxAtc and the question has arose before. I think the only available options are to purcahse the Goflight panel to spilt sound (Or possibly learn how one funtions and see what you can do about putting something together yourself)

Alternatively you can buy another sound card to link to the computer or even link another computer one for comm . sound and other programs and another for the enviroment sound (everything else)

I personally, am not aware of any other ways you could do this. Maybe someone else is.

Hope that helps

Steve A
07-11-2009, 04:16 AM
I have this and found using a usb headset worked a treat, i have a single pc setup and my aircraft sounds coming through my speakers, voxatc comes through the headset.
If i remember correctly i had to go into control panel in xp, speech, and then assign the usb headset to the text to speech functions and audio output.

Its something to do with voxatc using a completly different audio to fsx.

Hope this helps

NigelD
07-11-2009, 04:52 AM
Another option: Are you going to be flying online with Squawkbox on VATSIM? I do, and we have a company channel on teamspeak too. In both of those programs you can assign the input/output device so if you have a second sound card (or, indeed, USB headset) you can assign those programs to the second device/heatset, and all other sounds will come out of your speakers.

I've tested this and both options work a treat. I don't like running Squawkbox on a second machine - I find a lot of the online traffic does not appear on my screen so I cannot taxi safely - people get cranky when I run over them!

If anyone knows a solution to that one, I'd be glad to hear it!

Nigel.

Bob Reed
07-11-2009, 10:09 AM
I think for what you are trying to do you have 2 choices. Putting a srcond sound card in the computer or buying a USB sound device not a headset. You can buy a USB sound device that has you inputs for mike and headset just as your computer does. Then you would plug the Go Flight unit into that.

GeorgS
09-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Ian is giving good suggestions here: http://www.737ng.co.uk/sound.pdf.
BTW his site is a never ending source of how it might be done. Read and start thinking the creative way... :-)

Best from Vienna
Georg

fvefa
08-13-2010, 01:39 PM
I don't like running Squawkbox on a second machine - I find a lot of the online traffic does not appear on my screen so I cannot taxi safely - people get cranky when I run over them!

Nigel.

I always used the SB on FS machine. Now doing my homecockpit and installed the SB on the second PC but didnt try it yet. Do you mean i cannot see the online traffic anymore ?

Sean Nixon
08-14-2010, 08:25 AM
I find a lot of the online traffic does not appear on my screen so I cannot taxi safely - people get cranky when I run over them!

I wondered what was going on on my setup!

samalden
09-28-2010, 05:57 AM
Surround sound headset because they are different from other headsets for music to give a realistic feel and live music.These headsets for bringing the effect can be to watch movies alone and even when playing games on your game console.

Nick1150
10-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Accidentaly I did what Steve A says and worked a treat too !!!!

A USB headset costs as low as 30 euro, and squackbox and teamspeak options give you the ability to choose where from the ATC sound can be manipulated...

Easy setup :cool: