PDA

View Full Version : Dual headset setup

mattevans
05-19-2009, 05:17 PM
I use X-plane on a Mac.

I want to set up 2 sets of headsets so that both headsets hear the X-plane sounds (this is easy with a y-splitter) but also so that the mic output from each headset goes to the other headset (ie mixed with the X-plane sounds).

Currently using Saitek Pro Flight headset, with an iMic.

Can anyone suggest a software or (ideally low cost) hardware solution for this? It's not as simple as just using splitters on the mic output since mic level and headphone level are not matched.

mattevans
05-19-2009, 06:31 PM
I use X-plane on a Mac.

I want to set up 2 sets of headsets so that both headsets hear the X-plane sounds (this is easy with a y-splitter) but also so that the mic output from each headset goes to the other headset (ie mixed with the X-plane sounds).

Currently using Saitek Pro Flight headset, with an iMic.

Can anyone suggest a software or (ideally low cost) hardware solution for this? It's not as simple as just using splitters on the mic output since mic level and headphone level are not matched.

Would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Rolls-MX22-Mini-Mixer/dp/B00102ZN18/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1242771049&sr=1-6

Matt Olieman
05-19-2009, 08:10 PM
First of all it's a mixer. Takes stereo input and outputs left and right channel separately. Requires an amplifier to hear it on a headset.

I've seen this discussion before, perhaps a search would help you find an answer.

Matt Olieman

Rodney
05-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Perhaps you might try using a USB headset in a powered USB hub for the second headset. I have a MAC but not XPlane for MAC and no reason to try what you are doing. Seems to me that 2 different headsets will present them self, but I wonder if both mic's can work. Just play with the settings.

Matt is right, this subject in one simulator platform or another has been covered.

mattevans
05-19-2009, 09:00 PM
First of all it's a mixer. Takes stereo input and outputs left and right channel separately. Requires an amplifier to hear it on a headset.

I've seen this discussion before, perhaps a search would help you find an answer.

Matt Olieman

It's a powered not passive mixer. It has preamp level output which I would have thought is sufficient to drive the headphone component of a headset?

I actually did search and found nothing useful. I guess I just didn't use the right search terms for this query.

mattevans
05-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Perhaps you might try using a USB headset in a powered USB hub for the second headset. I have a MAC but not XPlane for MAC and no reason to try what you are doing. Seems to me that 2 different headsets will present them self, but I wonder if both mic's can work. Just play with the settings.

Matt is right, this subject in one simulator platform or another has been covered.

Unfortunately OS X only supports one audio input at once as far as I know.

Deesystems
05-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Might think of a small boom box with 2 aux outs and 2 mics. Place a tape in the cassette deck hit rec and pause and you now have hot mikes

Dee

warvet
05-20-2009, 03:11 AM
Im not sure whats the big mystery but what i did was this and then ran extensions for 2 additional headsts and all mics worked and were live. JMO

Combine 1 to the PC the other to the intercom then intercom to headesets job done.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/pctoheadset.php
http://www.softcommheadsets.com/aviation-products/html/intercoms.html

Tim

mattevans
05-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Im not sure whats the big mystery but what i did was this and then ran extensions for 2 additional headsts and all mics worked and were live. JMO

Combine 1 to the PC the other to the intercom then intercom to headesets job done.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/pctoheadset.php
http://www.softcommheadsets.com/aviation-products/html/intercoms.html

Tim

Thanks Tim. That's the most helpful advice I have had.

Posted via Mobile Device

ak49er
05-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Tim,excellent soultion.

I have seen the Flight Sim adapter before,(Aircraft Spruce) and wondered if it would work. Do you need one component of each link you posted, or were you just showing two different solutions?

warvet
05-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Nope you do need 1 of each, 1 so it'll connect to the PC and an intercom box to split signals to headsets and allow also for independent PF Atc contact.

Tim

phil.
05-21-2009, 04:54 AM
wich intercom model do you suggest for this job ?
Phil.

warvet
05-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Phil,
I use ATC-4PS but I think its all how you want to set it up in your pit.

Tim

phil.
05-21-2009, 05:11 PM
i have 2 CB mike's to talk to ATC. I had long time 1 CB mike and connected this one to the pc. But now i have another one and also searching how to connect the other one, as i have only 1 input in my pc.
so this will work with the ATC-4PS ?
Phil.

RalphW
05-26-2009, 08:52 AM
I use the Flightsim Adapter with my Dave Clark headset. Works like a charm.

phil.
05-26-2009, 09:40 AM
do you have a web adress where i can take a look at it ?
Phil.