PDA

View Full Version : Latest acquisition !!

NicD
12-08-2006, 04:17 AM
Just couldn't resist showing off these babies :) ... http://www.insitesolutions.com.au/737project/construction_diary.htm

Bob Reed
12-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Wow! Nice grab! You know I never thought of using them in a home theater! Needs to be a little bigger for your traveling partner! :)

jabomeister
12-08-2006, 04:48 PM
cool!
I love the way you built that frame.
Tell me please, where did you find the beams and the brackets?

NicD
12-08-2006, 06:30 PM
The steel frame is made out of a product called "handy angle" or "slotted angle". It's available in most countries and is used for building heavy duty shelving, racks etc. There are other varieties that are even stronger than this one - but very expensive. I picked these up on eBay - $120AU for 10 x 3 metre lengths (retail is about twice that). I'll use 7 packs all up (210 metres!).

You can get corner brackets I think - but that's about it. I've used ordinary stainless-steel brackets in some places to add strength. You can also cut and bend short lengths of the beams to create brackets and joiners.

The upside is that it is very quick to build with, join, adjust etc. and stronger than timber for less weight. Downside is that you often have to use double lengths back-to-back in places to achieve the sorts of strength and connectivity needed.

Note that if shell strength is a top priority for you then a welded steel outer frame and lower-base frame would be recommended. Mine is very strong how you see it in the pics - but for something like motion you'd need a little extra strength.

jabomeister
12-09-2006, 11:33 AM
thanks small and light sections is what I need. I'm planning to build a panel enclosure where I can mount a monitor and some controls. I don't have access to too many tools I need components that are easy to assemble. Also reasonably light, initially it would be a desktop arrangement.