PDA

View Full Version : Very Interesting discovery w/FSX!

737NUT
12-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Hi all,
I have some very interesting results with a temporary upgrade to my computer with FSX. First a little history, my main sim computer is a DELL 8250 which is 2.53ghz P4, 512mb rdram (aka rambus) Geforce 6800GT AGP video card. Well i was running FSX on it and getting 16-19fps but had drops to 2fps at times while taxing and flying around cities. Auto gen off, scenery sliders less than half, simple clouds. Well since i'm inpatient and waiting for the DX10 and quadcore cpu's coming out, i decieded to do an interim upgrade. Memory was out of the question since 1meg of rambus is more than a whole new computer! So, i bought a cheap mobo, 2 gig of DDR400, and put the processor from the dell in it. After getting windows and new drivers squared away i booted up FSX. 14-16fps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( But wait! I noticed something, it had no stutters, smooth as glass! I put all my scenery sliders to max, turned on 3d clouds, and my FPS stayed the same! :) It flies smooth and NO stutters at 12-18fps!! I tried flying at 500ft agl and 340knots, smooth as glass! Woohoo! That is why fps is WAY over rated! How it flies is what matters! I know in FS9, anything below 20 was not flyable, not so w/FSX. I just thought it was interesting how FPS didn't change but the sim was MUCH smoother even with higher settings.
Now i can wait till spring to get my bada$$ new computer to gain a couple more fps.
Rob

apopilot
12-28-2006, 11:12 AM
I to experianced the same. I replaced my older AMD Athlon 3200+ with a new Intel 680i board and Intell E6600. I overclocked it to 3.45ghz from the stock 2.4Ghz. I have Autogen at normal in FSX and EVERYTHING ELSE maxed out. I have two gigs of ram and water cooling. I did not spend more than a $1000 for the upgrade and I have my FPS set at 40FPS and I am hitting 40FPS at 5000 AGL and 25-35fps on the ground!!!!!!

Abe

Matt Olieman
12-28-2006, 11:29 AM
ENVY....... Abe, sound like you know how to set up a mean machine :)