PDA

View Full Version : Building Materials: Wood?

NoutvanZon
05-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Hey,

what do you think is the best building material for the cockpit (pedestal, MIP, supporting structures)? Is wood the best? and what thickness? and what is the general price for the wood?

Hope anyone can help!

Nout

Matt_Thomas
05-11-2009, 07:38 PM
I think a lot of builders use Medium Density Fiberboard, don't they?

NigelD
05-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Yep, I use MDF. I have not built a lot yet - just a prototype pedestal, but 6mm MDF seems very strong. I've got a friend who used 12mm for his MIP panels - I would imagine it's much heavier than it needs to be. MDF is cheap and easy to work with, except that you must wear a mask when cutting it. The dust is - not good! And you need to prime it with special MDF primer as it sucks up moisture. The primer is available in any DIY store and cheap too.

So nothing out of the ordinary really!

Nigel.

Joe Lavery
05-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi Nout,

I've been using MDF for all my building, 12mm for the main MIP and 6mm for the glareshield and 9mm for the frame to hold the Engravity panels.
I've added some working pics for you to see how it turned out.

Hope that helps,

Joe Lavery

chrisdanker
05-12-2009, 02:51 AM
Hi Joe,

Nice MIP. Any chance of you sharing you MIP plans and dimensions? Are they to 100% scale or like the Engravity MIPs which are 85% scale.

Regards,
Chris

fweinrebe
05-12-2009, 03:43 AM
I use MDF and plywood. MDF is strong but heavy. Problem with plywood is that the finish is not as smooth as MDF so it needs more attention before painting.

NigelD
05-12-2009, 04:29 PM
I forgot to say - here in the UK MDF is about 5.50 for a 6mm thick sheet measuring . . . 1200 by 800? or 600? Not sure. I don't consider it expensive anyway!

Nigel.

Joe Lavery
05-16-2009, 02:42 AM
Hi Chris,
Sorry I don't know whether it's full size or 85%, I made it to fit the Engravity Performance Line Panels. The design I got from this web site and it's a pure gold mine for cockpit builders:
http://www.737ngproject.be/
I simply adapted the dimensions found here to fit my panels, but I have no real detailed plans that would mean anything to anyone else. if you look at his photos you'll see how closely I followed his plans. :smile:

Regards

Joe.

chrisdanker
05-16-2009, 06:05 AM
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply. If you have the Engravity Performance Line then it must be 100% scale.

I have seen the website that you mentioned...does anyone know if the site can be translated into English....but his pictures speak a thousand words anyway.........:o

Regards,
Chris

Joe Lavery
05-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Hi Chris,

Google Translate is brilliant, you simply copy the URL into the dialogue and that's it.

Hope that helps,

Joe

NigelD
05-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Hey Chris,
Not to hijack the thread or anything (okay, baltantly hijacking the thread!) but I take it that is a touchscreen you are using there on your pedestal? How do you find it? Happy with it? I'm planning on using one just for the FMC for an Airbus cockpit.

Seems all I do these days is 'plan.' Where's that lottery win I was promised!!

Nigel.

chrisdanker
05-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Nigel,

Yes it is a touchscreen for the lower Eicas and the FMC. It works just fine and especially since I have both the Project Majenta Complete Suites for the Boeing and the Airbus, so if I decide to fly the Airbus instead of the Boeing aircraft, I can still have the Airbus FMGC on the lower screen to plan the flight.

Having said that, I have since bought the Engravity CDU for the FMC and will be removing ( or rather moving sideways a bit the screen ) the screen to accomodate the CDU and still have the Lower Eicas below and have a Touchscreen type FMC for the Co-Pilot's side. Saves me buying another CDU for the co-pilot's side and yet still able to use the FMGC for airbus if needed.

One of my plans in future is to build the A320 cockpit and place it beside my current B737NG cockpit ( once I have a new room built in an extension to my house ) and have the PC's have output splitters to go to both cockpits so I can have a choice latrer to either fly the Boeing cockpit or the Airbus cockpit.

All sounds ambitious and extremely costly....but I'm going to go with simple cockpits and make it myself just like what I did with my overhead for my B737 cockpit using poster blow up of an overhead picture and then placing switches in it to get it to work with a joystick card controller from Leo Bunar.

Cheers mate...

mounty
05-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi Joe,

Where did you get the picture of the overhead from?

Many Thanks

Rob

mounty
05-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Sorry guys, last post should have been addressed to Chris.

Rob

Matt_Thomas
05-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Nigel,

All sounds ambitious and extremely costly....but I'm going to go with simple cockpits and make it myself just like what I did with my overhead for my B737 cockpit using poster blow up of an overhead picture and then placing switches in it to get it to work with a joystick card controller from Leo Bunar.

Cheers mate...

I love it! So the picture of the overhead panel is behind clear plexiglass or something like that I assume?

ph-yos
05-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Where a question can lead to. I enjoyed reading all the answers about the choice of material. Eachone has his or her own methode. By that it helps others. great, thank you questioner and replyers.
happy landings and take care, Yos.

chrisdanker
05-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Mounty / Matt,

The overhead was made using a picture of reasonably good resolution of the overhead of the fwd overhead and then I took it to a local shop that makes signages and posters for advertisements. Got them to blow it up to full size and the picture kept relatively clear and not pixeletted. The size I made it was about 26 inchs x 26 inchs and the poster print was on self adhesive print and stuck it onto 5mm clear perspex ( for future backlighting) and then put in all the switches and selectors that I got from a local electrical / electronics shop and some from the online shops for the Boeing knobs etc.

All this with the switches in place looks nice and as long as I can get the feel of using the overhead for landing lights selection , engine starts using the start selector switches and boost pumps selection...etc...etc. and then using the Leo Bodar joystick controller card to control the software side of the switches to the simulator, then I' a happy man for flying my cockpit as I dont have quite the funds for buying the high end overhead panels that cost a bomb. All in all , I paid for the overhead ( including Leo's card ( GBD45) about EUR 140 for my complete overhead....

Hope this info helps., have attached the picture of the overhead that I used for blowing it up to full size.

Regards, Chris

NoutvanZon
05-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Hey,

Chrisdanker, where did you find the pictures of the overhead? And are there other pictures forexample for the pedestal of the main panel?

And does anyone know where I can find those pictures to blow-up for airbusses?

Nout

chrisdanker
05-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Nout,

This site may be interesting for you since you are an Airbus builder...:

http://www.simpit.de/a320dim/page_04.htm

Will look for more in my other laptop later.

Hope it helps.

Chris

NoutvanZon
05-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Nout,

This site may be interesting for you since you are an Airbus builder...:

http://www.simpit.de/a320dim/page_04.htm

Will look for more in my other laptop later.

Hope it helps.

Chris

Thanks, I already have seen the site and it was really helpful for me.

Hope you can find some more site on ur other laptop!

Nout